Question about VOLBEAT.

Actually, I've known Michael for a lot of years, and he is a very talented musician. He could definitely play some great solos if he wanted to. Also, Anders is a brilliant bass player. Don't underestimate them just because the music they write is "simple".

c.

Agree. I actually enjoy the lack of solos. They fit in with a lot of bands, but I hear songs everyday where the solo seems tacked on just because the song is supposed to have one. I think 90% of Volbeat's songs would sound this way if they tried to work in a solo section. I respect these guys more as musicians due to the fact that they can consciously make that decision based on their own sound.

I've never heard of these guys, but I'm assuming this song "Alright, Alright" is a good representation of what they're about. If so, then this isn't my cup of tee by any stretch. When watching this video, it reminded me of the punk/ska fad that happened while I was in college i.e. The Supertones, No Doubt, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc. If four years ago somebody told me that there would be people on this board wanting a band like this to play ProgPower I wouldn't have believed it. o_O

~Brian~

Its his hairstyle. Hehe. It has that ska/big-band look. Ska isn't dead by the way. Just almost ;p

I've never heard of these guys, but I'm assuming this song "Alright, Alright" is a good representation of what they're about. If so, then this isn't my cup of tee by any stretch. When watching this video, it reminded me of the punk/ska fad that happened while I was in college i.e. The Supertones, No Doubt, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc. If four years ago somebody told me that there would be people on this board wanting a band like this to play ProgPower I wouldn't have believed it. o_O

~Brian~
THE CARBURETORS are NOTHING AT ALL like any of those bands you mentioned above. They are three chord hard rock a la AC/DC or ROSE TATTOO crossed with a 50's look. Ska has about as much in common with THE CARBURETORS as reggae does with MORBID ANGEL. They rock hard and are not much different I don't think than VOLBEAT except THE CARBURETORS solo their asses off and VOLBEAT seems to be doing quite well here in the forum. Perhaps more research on your part would prove me correct. One song/video does not make or break any band.

When it comes to full on Heavy Metal, I want solos. But when it comes to bands like Volbeat which draws from several styles, it doesn't bother me. They'll rock. The Carburetors sound great. Should be on the radio instead of the crap on these days.

I'm still trying to decide if this year's "oddball" is taking more or less shit than Freak Kitchen did before they played at Prog Power the first time. It's close, but I think people were a bit more harsh on FK... :err:

As for lack of guitar solos, I think that may be what I like about Volbeat, not to mention the "different" influences. I used to be one of the "haterz" when it came to tunes without a solo spot. For some reason, I just don't miss them with this particular band.

I still say they are going to do a damn fine job, and turn some heads, just like FK has the last couple years :headbang:

I'm still trying to decide if this year's "oddball" is taking more or less shit than Freak Kitchen did before they played at Prog Power the first time. It's close, but I think people were a bit more harsh on FK... :err:

I'm still trying to decide if this year's 'oddball' is Volbeat or Riverside. :)

Doesn't matter, since I'm sure both will be great. :kickass:

THE CARBURETORS are NOTHING AT ALL like any of those bands you mentioned above. They are three chord hard rock a la AC/DC or ROSE TATTOO crossed with a 50's look. Ska has about as much in common with THE CARBURETORS as reggae does with MORBID ANGEL. They rock hard and are not much different I don't think than VOLBEAT except THE CARBURETORS solo their asses off and VOLBEAT seems to be doing quite well here in the forum. Perhaps more research on your part would prove me correct. One song/video does not make or break any band.

Well, if you'll re-read my post, you'll see that I said I was reminded of the ska/punk music fad of the 90's when watching the video. Regardless, I think The Carburetors belong at ProgPower about as much as The Tractors do! :p Yes, The Tractors are a real band. Of course, this is my opinion and you can take it for what it is.

~Brian~

Well, if you'll re-read my post, you'll see that I said I was reminded of the ska/punk music fad of the 90's when watching the video. Regardless, I think The Carburetors belong at ProgPower about as much as The Tractors do! :p Yes, The Tractors are a real band. Of course, this is my opinion and you can take it for what it is.

~Brian~

Now wait a sec, The Tractors are a good band(if you like rockabilly country), and do put on a decent show. I would love to see the Carburetors, they would be an awesome addition to the ProgPower line-up.

~Brian~

All opinions are valid, but I'm still not sure what you mean by being reminded of that era. Do you think Volbeat belongs at PP. I hope that Glenn continues to push the boundaries of what is expected at PP. I am much more interested in that than the latest prog/power metal by numbers band du jour, that I've heard a thousand times over...but that's just my opinion.

All opinions are valid, but I'm still not sure what you mean by being reminded of that era. Do you think Volbeat belongs at PP. I hope that Glenn continues to push the boundaries of what is expected at PP. I am much more interested in that than the latest prog/power metal by numbers band du jour, that I've heard a thousand times over...but that's just my opinion.

Whisper, it honestly doesn't matter what I think at this point. o_O

~Brian~