Question about Woods III

zekeyou

Mar 3, 2004
The Triiiaaannnnggggle
David--

I seem to recall you mentioning that major parts of Woods III were already "complete" in your head around the time of the release of Pursuit of the Sun, Allure of the Earth.

Now that you're in the last leg of completing Woods III, how has the final version of the new album mutated/evolved from your original visions?

:kickass:

i have a question for gold as well. is the idea of summer black metal gone? its just that it seems like you turned into a different season, winter that is on the new album and i like that very much, id just like to know if you left all the summer black metal behind you? thanks.

Detric said:
i have a question for gold as well. is the idea of summer black metal gone? its just that it seems like you turned into a different season, winter that is on the new album and i like that very much, id just like to know if you left all the summer black metal behind you? thanks.
He'd be able to answer that definitively, but the first album was a 'winter' album recorded in summer and second album was a 'summer' album written/partially recorded in the winter-- something like that....

zekeyou said:
(...)the first album was a 'winter' album recorded in summer and second album was a 'summer' album written/partially recorded in the winter-- something like that....
It's as if WoY were in fashion - they always have to think a few seasons ahead. :cool:

Lionfrost said:
It's as if WoY were in fashion - they always have to think a few seasons ahead. :cool:

Dude, they're in fashion: shirts, tuques, hoodies...

I'm waiting for the Woods shampoo to get nice silky hair as Mr. Gold. Someone told me that it might be called 'Deepest Roots'... :lol:

Marc - I'm waiting for the Woods shampoo to get nice silky hair as Mr. Gold. Someone told me that it might be called 'Deepest Roots'...
Hah! Good job! I laughed out loud for that one! Don't forget to pick up some of my Viking Beard shampoo too!

As for the albums, here's how it goes...

Woods 1 = Winter
Woods 2 = Summer
Woods 3 = Winter
Woods 4 = Summer
Woods 5 = Winter (the final attempt at creating winter metal...)

Then, it's going to start to get really fucked up! :loco:

I'm serious. I've thought about it a zillion times. We're in this forever!

zekeyou Question about Woods III
David--

I seem to recall you mentioning that major parts of Woods III were already "complete" in your head around the time of the release of Pursuit of the Sun, Allure of the Earth.

Now that you're in the last leg of completing Woods III, how has the final version of the new album mutated/evolved from your original visions?

Yeah, there we're at least 3 songs that will appear in sequence on Woods 3 (Tracks 5, 6, 7) that have been kicking around since before "Pursuit". The first of which (track 5) totally could have been a track on "Against the Seasons". I played around with their arrangements (riffs and drums) enough back then until it came to a point when I felt they were done, and I haven't changed them since. The evolution then came when Dan Hulse added his bass and Jessica added her keys, + the vocals of course. There are even a few awesome lyrical verses (IMO) that have been around for years that will finally appear on these few songs on Woods 3. In many, many ways, Woods 3 will be THE Woods of Ypres album. :)

As for the albums, here's how it goes...

Woods 1 = Winter
Woods 2 = Summer
Woods 3 = Winter
Woods 4 = Summer
Woods 5 = Winter (the final attempt at creating winter metal...)

Then, it's going to start to get really fucked up! :loco:

Woods should do a cover of Iron Maiden's Paschendale sometime, it was the 3rd Battle of Ypres

Paschendale is a great song.
In response to David's above post: It seems impossible to top Against the Seasons and Pursuit of the Sun, but lets hope youre right about Woods 3! (in my prediction) it will take album of the year for sure.