Question for all the AA fans out there

Chainer

Aug 8, 2006
I am a bit of an artist,and i want to do a logo of sorts for Thousand Years of Oppression.I have yet to decide the style of writing,and i want to put Gungir in the background and maybe a horned helm.I need some advice and how to approach this,i cant find any good pictures or anything on Gungir,and i have a vague idea of the horned helm.

Yeah,i could'nt find any specifics on the spear.Now on to the font,im wondering what style it should be.The song is all about Odin on Yggdrasil,and the knowledge he gained.And the Christians oppressing right?

Chainer said:
Yeah,i could'nt find any specifics on the spear.Now on to the font,im wondering what style it should be.The song is all about Odin on Yggdrasil,and the knowledge he gained.And the Christians oppressing right?
oh yeah, about how christianity goes against the natural way of life, particularly in Viking times, as well as the hypocrisy of preaching kindness and peace, but killing those who won't convert.

Chainer said:

As you may know, the words for this song come from an e-mail that I once wrote to my brother, Johan. He asked my permission to use the words, and the song is the result. What instigated my very angry outburst is a long story, but the short version of it is that a bunch of Christian parents at my daughters' school tried to make my (at the time 7 year old) daughter's life miserable due to our religious beliefs.
I don't generally get angry, and I think that hate begets hate. Not a good idea, especially when mixed with religion. BUT when you fuck with a Norsewoman's children, you had better be ready for battle. I had given warnings, and they still kept at it, and this is when they had reached the point where I went beserk.
The words that I wrote were the opening remarks for battle. It pretty much describes exactly what I felt towards these speciffic people at the time - that "I am angry, emotional, I am furious. I am better and infinately stronger than they are, I have the moral highground. I need my gods and goddesses now, they have my back and I have theirs, and my ancestors and current family, too - it is just as much a call to them as anything else. I want someone to hear my fury and acknowledge it. And I WILL WIN THIS BATTLE." I was so angry and let myself feel so much hatred at that point, that it really wasn't about anything other than taunting them to make them feel weak or provoked to fight back, which, either way, would give me the advantage.
There comes a time when one has to acknowledge ones feelings for ones own sake, or one cannot move forwards. I can pretty much say anything to Johan without explaining the context, and he undertands what I mean. Oftentimes I write things to him that I will say to nobody else, more or less to acknowledge my own feelings in that fashion because he hears me. That's what the words were about when I wrote them - just venting to my brother, who ALWAYS has my back. In that sense, it is the weirdest loveletter you'll ever see, because it's also to do with trust. I trusted him to do the right thing with my feelings, and, as it were, he knew just the right thing, didn't he? What it means to him and to the rest of the band is up to them to explain.
Mostly, though, when I write stuff of any kind to anyone, I think that whoever reads it will interpret it in their own way. If you feel that for you, the song is about Odin hanging on Yggdrasil, then that's what it's about, too (and it is, because that part of the text describes my love and respect for Odin - again, a weird loveletter). Your artwork must reflect that and not what someone else interprets the song as portraying.
I hope you'll let me see the finished product. I don't think there are any precise descriptions of Gungnir (at least none that I can think of right now, but I'll look), and there definitively are not horns on Norse helms (there are hardly any archaeological finds of Norse helms from the iron age - most of the helms you see in pictures are vendel age). Again, that is up to your interpretation and creativity to define. Good luck! /T

Thanks for that Tyra.I just have mental blocks occasionally,i usually do my own fonts,and most of the time my own back-grounds.The song is about others frowning upon other for being different.Since this is a part of daily life,i felt that i should get suggestions from other AA fans.

And of course you guys can see it.I just need to go over to my grand-ma's and use her scanner.I need to go buy one.....

Yes, it is daily life. The issue here was that it shouldn't be. Not for a seven year old, and not for this reason. "They" were upset with me, but they took it out on her. They had not learned anything in the past 1000 years. I had. They still think they can get one over on the "poor heathen", and that we are inferior to them. I knew better, and I wanted my kid to know it, too. And now you know it, too, because of AA. It has to do with persecution and oppression that didn't just happen in the past, but that is still trying to happen today. But you know something, people can only get on your back for a ride if you bend over. I just refused to bend, turn the other cheek and all that. That is part of their religion, not mine. I stopped playing by their rules as of when I wrote that e-mail. Anyhow...

What are you writing with the font, or where are you wanting to write it? As part of the picture, freestanding, or on one of the items in the picture or what? It would help to know where the font is going. If it's on one of the items in the pic, then I'd use runes or a font that mimics them.
I think you should be able to find some reasonably good pics of iron-age spears on the net. I'll look and see if I can find something in the sagas that say anything about what Gugnir looked like./T

Thanks for the help.What im thinking of doing is to have the helm in the middle.With Gungir running straight up,either through the middle of the helm or behind.And 'Thousand Years of Oppression' in front of it.The words being the main focus.The helm looks pretty good,still gotta sharpie it.

i just go a mental image from all the descriptions in here...im pretty artistic in the wya i can see things from just reading...and from what i can make out it looks very impressive in my minds eye. so hopefully it'll turn out even bette rthen what i see.

are you going to make these into t-shirts? if so. then i'll buy like 5 lol

Tyra said:
*tyra's big story about 1000yrs of oppression*

Wow.. the song is far deeper then i had ever suspected! After reading your story ive listen the song about 10 times after eachother (still listening it) reading your story at the same time, and the whole meaning of the song just changed to me.. Ive got this thing called .. well if i translated it directly from dutch its called "image-thinking" , wich means i dont think in words/sounds or what ever but in images/pictures, or even whole movies.. well when i first read/heared the lyrics of 1000yrs of opp. i saw the pagan scandinavia rebelize against the christianized parts of it.. but now that i know the real meaning of it.. wow im just amazed of your story, and you will understand me when i say that in the countries non-scandinavian its rare to be pagan. I mean just yesterday when there was a big anual feast in my city.. and i was drunk as shit, but anyway i was wearing an arch enemy shirt with the text "PURE FUCKING METAL" on the back, and some dude ive never seen before made a joke about it wich i dont remember anymore :)lol:) so i turned around to see who it was and he saw the front of my shirt wich had a big pentagram on it, and he was like WOW ur interested in white/black magic 2!? And we had the longest confersation about it ive ever had, but anyway after an hour or something we came to the point where he saw my thorshammer, and said "hey and what does that thing mean" .. well even the people who are interested in uncommon things like white magic dont know here what a thorhammer means.. so i told him i was pagan. and he was like wtf is that?! so i told him some basic things etc.. this was the 1st dude ive ever met here who never heared of it but was interested in it, and not like the most ppl who are like "uhh wtf? are u ok? do u need some professional help?!"(since holland is 99% christian).. but when i was in norway about 50% of the peole had a thorshammer! (the other 50% were probably tourists :lol:) and i bet its the same in canada and what ever as it is here in holland.. So i really understand the song now, and like it even better. now i see it as a song to protect our pride and our freedom to have our own "faith". And its just fucking great that Johan made the song!

Haha all this text probably dont make much sence now since im still shitty from the feast, but im glad ive spoke my mind :D

Wow ... thanks for sharing that with us, Tyra!
Well, I might as well tell my story as well, since "Thousand Years of Oppression" also has a lot of meaning to me. It was the first AA song I've ever heard ... here it goes:

My gilrfriend is christian. (Yeah I know, I can't believe it either ...) She's not with the catholic church, but she strongly believes in "God", and that all our sins will be forgiven because of Jesus ... I guess ... that part I actually still don't understand.
Well anyway: I at the time didn't believe in anything. Not in anything religous. I read a lot of things written by japanese Samurai, about "the Way of the Samurai". I tried to to follow that way, as good as it can be done in our modern times. Not the fighting part, but the way to look at things ... yourself ... and others. It totally redefined the word "honour" for me. In case you're interested, the "Hagakure" is something you should read.
Ok ... well since my girlfriend is christian, there is a slight problem, since she told me that she could never marry anybody who is not.
That's not because she thinks Christians are better or anything, but because of things like "special moments" only christian believers can have together (reading the bible and I guess also the afterlife).
So I actually started to read in the bible ... to see if I might become a Christian after all.
And I couldn't.
Specially not after my beliefs are based on honour, inner strength and ... well a warriors way!
In the Hagakure it sais, that a warrior shouldn't study religion too deeply, since it could weaken his mind.
That still didn't satisfy me, since it meant Buddism, and it also sais that you should honour the gods of your forefathers ...

About that time, I heard "Thousand Years of Oppression" for the first time.
Before that I didn't think, that I would ever like that kind of Metal (and now Amon Amarth is what I like to listen to most of the time).
It was almost like a wake-up call! Since you never hear anything about Odin, Thor and all other gods, I assumed that all of the knowledge was lost! It's not!!
The image of Odin, hanging there ... "So that we all may live out lives, by the wisdom that he gained" ... I was just stunned!
"Let me die without fear!
As I have lived without it"
and
"We were not made to bend like reed
or to turn the other cheek"
... I mean, that's just the trouble I had, when I tried to read the bilbe!!
The next thing I did (after beeing ashamed for beeing so blind) was researching and getting a copy of the "Edda". I'm still amazed, at how much sense it all makes now ... (except my girlfriend ;) ) ... it's like I've been guided up until this point, where I was finally introduced to "my" gods.
And this would have never happened without Amon Amarth ... or Tyras e-mail.
Fate of Norns?

I still get a lot out of most of the songs. The way the things are described often help me to understand it all better ... it's like in the old times, when the old ones would tell the stories to the young ones. It all comes to life.

(I hope that wasn't too dramatic ;) )

Such great stories come from what was once a little known band.Ive gotten a bit farther today,got a kind of wavy lookin font,i just need to do Oppression now.I started on it a few times,but i couldnt get it to look good,so i may not finish the penciling till tomorrow.I still have to do the spear,and what tyra showed me looks damn good.

F_Slim said:
... it's like I've been guided up until this point, where I was finally introduced to "my" gods.

Ahhh.....Odin's call. I've heard it all my life, just didn't understand it right away.

Alright,I got the spear penciled to today.It looks awesome.The spear goes straight through the helmet diagonally,weaving through the eye-hole and coming out of the dome of the helmet.