Question for Andy

I could quite easily do maiden, take the blaze albums for example although that is a little more in the power metal direction. Probably best example would be the live maiden tracks we did on his live album.

I could quite easily do maiden...

ooh er missus!

Tenth dimesion was a really enjoyable album - opening track especially. Wicked solos. Although still a bit more 'metal' than maiden. My old band supported them sometime around that era - blaze spent most of the aftershow getting off with a 15 year old hahaha...

I could quite easily do maiden, take the blaze albums for example although that is a little more in the power metal direction. Probably best example would be the live maiden tracks we did on his live album.

Thats what we want to hear and its what Maiden needs even if they don't know it yet

I was about to jump on a couple of comments posted above but its good others did it already ... about you being able to get the sound that suits the band.

We should start an internet campaign ... Maiden needs their next cd done by Andy. And if you should get it Andy, push them for at least one more uptempo/faster song! Its been too long since the last "Moonchild" or "Aces High"

Cheers!

Indeed, but let's do not forget that bands from the "old guard" will almost always remain conservative about their sound

From what I know about Maiden's production style, they're damn near reactionary. :lol: Mostly live to 2" with everyone playing in the same room. No click, no samples, no reamping, and minimal overdubs- vocals, synths and solos. (IIRC Kevin Shirley said this himself.) They're very loose and raw sounding compared to modern bands.

I'd be curious if an Andy-produced Maiden record would present a tightened-up, more modern sounding band, a cleaner, more polished version of the same deal, would there be no huge difference at all- they'd still work the same way, just with different engineering credits this time- or what? It would be a very different project for both camps, I think, and I'd be really curious to hear the result.

Great thread. I think it's inspiring that Andy can pick and choose the projects he takes on. Every band he produces is badass.

As somebody who's starting out doing production, I've taken the early stance of picking the projects I work on, which is only possible because I'm not relying on this as my primary income source.

For many people, this isn't an option, and they are stuck in a cycle of producing crappy local bands for not enough money, and only occasionally getting to produce something worthwhile, with the hope of maybe someday ascending to the level of the business that Andy's at. I don't see too many of these people ever make the jump, although it certainly can happen with the right connections.

So my question is... Andy, given that you got some serious recognition with Sabbat, was your production career more or less jumpstarted by the connections you made during those years, or were there some other factors (besides talent) that also contributed to your ability to work with some of the best and biggest in metal early on?

I think you would kick Kevin Shirley's ass no problem. But certainly it would be a great challenge for you to bring back some of the lost ingredients from Mr. Birch's era, like making the ambience fit the album's concept, making Bruce sing with emotion, persuading Harris to kick Janick Gers out of the band :headbang: ....