Question for Caotico (and everyone else)

The_Fatalist

New Metal Member
May 3, 2011
New Zealand
In light of Construct's impending release, I've been listening to DT's entire back catalogue in chronological order. I haven't done this in many years, but it really puts the band's evolution in perspective. It also affirms DT as my favourite musical entity of all time :worship: Haha!

I'd be very interested to know if you (and the rest of the band) listen to your previous albums often. Or do you avoid this in favour of forging ahead?

Is it surreal to hear something you created 10,15,20 years ago? For me each album encapsulates a period in my life, so I imagine this must be especially true for you as a creator of these.

If anyone else has done a chronological listen lately, has it cast any of the albums in a new light? Personally, my appreciation for Projector has increased significantly. I've always loved that album, but hearing it straight after the Skydancer-Mind's I era, I can see just how pioneering it was. I consider it the most unique and timeless album DT has ever created.

Anyway, hope this stirs up some conversation. I miss reading masses of posts like in the old days (I lurked for the ages, haha.)

No, I don't listen to our own music very much. There's no greater reason or purpose behind this; I just get my D.T. dose fulfilled when playing live, and I've heard the songs so many times during rehearsals and in studio that I'd rather listen to other people's music in my free time. It probably would be different if we didn't tour so much.

The exception is when we're just recorded an album ("Construct" in playing on an almost daily basis here), but in general I always found it more rewarding to listen to other bands since it's "just" music without that I can enjoy without getting too analytical about it.

Cheers for taking the time to reply, I appreciate the insight.

I was also wondering if there's any chance of a DT blu-ray being released, or an official book of guitar tabs someday? It'd be awesome to have legitimate tabs for songs like Hours Passed in Exile, Fabric, and Dobermann, which are hard to learn by ear for mere mortals. And hearing DT in HD would be mind-blowing.

Hey Maxim, I just had a look. You're right about Hours Passed in Exile and Fabric, but there isn't a tab for Dobermann online anywhere (as far as I can see). Which is a shame, since it's a vastly underrated song.

Caotico: I just want to reiterate that I, and I'm sure many others, would be willing to pay a premium price for an official tab collection, haha.

I more or less periodically listen to DT's entire works in chronological order. I get a little annoyed when I get to Exposures and Yesterworlds because I've already got into the 2000s-DT mood and all of a sudden I'm listening to their work from 1994 and earlier; not that that work isn't awesome, but it's a somewhat annoying transition for me. I usually sit through it instead of skipping to the next track because my purpose is to listen to the whole collection in order. And yes, it does help put the newer albums in perspective.

When a new album comes out, though, the moment I get my hands on it I listen to it nonstop for a while; it takes several weeks, sometimes months, for me to get into the everything-in-chronological-order phase.

When I listen to DT nowadays I mostly pick out some tracks I want to listen to on that day. Or if I'm the mood for a particular period I pick out an album. (This would be mostly either The Gallery then or Fiction).

After the release I will probably constantly listen to the new one, when the Tour is getting closer there will be more mix up again.