Question for Drummers

Moobaa

Jul 6, 2005
Burlington VT USA
How come in some parts of songs (usually double bass riffs) Lopez uses his left hand on the high hats and his right on the snare? I play drums myself but I dont do this.

And I'm new here, so hi.

yeh that's possible.. i tend to do it as a show off technique lol.. it impresses the odd few people.. but yeh.. i do use it if i find it easier to play something that way..

Maybe he's showing off, but I think it helps a lot, like on the first heavy part on 'face of melinda', it makes hitting the crashes much easier I find when I play it.

It's called open hand. A lot of drummers are using it more and more: Gene Hoglan and Bobby Jarzombek off the top of my head. It opens (no pun intended) more possibilites to incorporate your left hand into patterns instead of it being restricted by the right hand over it. Its weird at first, but I like it sometimes, really allows me to do MUCH more with my left hand on the left half of my kit!

indeed.. I'm going to actually switch my hi-hat to the right side of my bass drum, but still lead with my right.. I'm going to start using my left foot as my dominant one.. much more efficient if you ask me.. as long as you have a good left foot. or crazy hardware..

opeth_evan said:
indeed.. I'm going to actually switch my hi-hat to the right side of my bass drum, but still lead with my right.. I'm going to start using my left foot as my dominant one.. much more efficient if you ask me.. as long as you have a good left foot. or crazy hardware..

It would probably be a lot easier to invest in a remote hi-hat. That way your pedal setup can stay the same.

i don't think lopez really needs anything to make it easier, he looks like the most relaxed drummer i've ever seen lol.