Question For Lars?

Christopher85

New Metal Member
Feb 23, 2006
While listening to Lars' Bass playing especially his solos (Fountainhead) I notice the significant Jazz/Fusion influence In his playing. My question for Lars is what Jazz players influenced your playing most and being a bass player myself I was wondering what Jazz/fusion bass players you have learnt the most from and are best to study from.

Thanks

Christopher85 said:
While listening to Lars' Bass playing especially his solos (Fountainhead) I notice the significant Jazz/Fusion influence In his playing. My question for Lars is what Jazz players influenced your playing most and being a bass player myself I was wondering what Jazz/fusion bass players you have learnt the most from and are best to study from.

Thanks
Jaco Pastorius and Weather Report are my greatest influences when it comes to jazz/fusion. I really like Gary Willis too – actually I learnt to like fusion by attending his ‘fusion listening-class’ back in my BIT-years. Besides these two I like Percy Jones, Jeff Berlin, Sean Malone and Michael Manring. I’d probably have hundreds of more names for you if I had been listening more to jazz.

Whom then to learn from? I think your own taste should determine that. I myself learn the most by listening, and I listen mostly to things I like. That, and music I immediately can’t grasp, is what (if anything) I’d personally study.

One advice – don’t limit yourself to your own instrument. For instance - I’ve learnt a lot from watching various drum-videos.

Thanks alot for the reply Lars. Those are some of my favourite players too. I especially like Gary Willis for his right hand technique and Jaco for how innovative he was on the bass. Great advice too I agree that we can learn alot from musicians who play a completely different instrument. Another question I have is do you think It is important for a Bass player to be able to read music. Most fusion Bass players believe it is an essential skill for all players to have do you agree?

Thanks again

hello lars, i'm an electric bassist (and classical double bassist) myself
i wonder if you had formal training on the electric bass, and, if you have, what can you tell about your teachers.

your influences are very recognisable, hopefully that's a great compliment.
(pastorius is a bassist that influenced so many people and keeps doing it nowadays)
pastorius rose from the grave and played metal. lol

Christopher85 said:
Thanks alot for the reply Lars. Those are some of my favourite players too. I especially like Gary Willis for his right hand technique and Jaco for how innovative he was on the bass. Great advice too I agree that we can learn alot from musicians who play a completely different instrument. Another question I have is do you think It is important for a Bass player to be able to read music. Most fusion Bass players believe it is an essential skill for all players to have do you agree?

Thanks again
If not an essential skill, it’s pretty damn close.