Question for people who don't reamp

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
What is your process for finding sounds and mixing? Do you do a test mix to see how everything works together or just dial a guitar tone in, record, bass, record, then mix? It seems like if you didn't do a test mix you might end up getting stuck with something you hate the sound of.

i hardly ever reamp... don't like doing it.
I have a few amps at the studio that I use on pretty much every project, so I know where the tone should be and I know where to mic my cab. I like sticking with sounds and getting a vibe going instead of recording everything with the mentality of "I'll change it later...".

If you have trouble getting a tone you like, just take a break and check out some of your fav CDs on your monitors to make sure you're in the right ballpark.

I never re amp, I like to get the tone what I want during tracking (spend a lot of time moving mic positions). Normally a 57, just about touching the grill, pointed half way between the center and side of the cone. Will record and then listen to how it sounds with the drums and bass. Agree with referencing against your fav tone that you want to create.

I do both. Sometimes the guitar player wants to be able to get the feeling of the amp, see how it works with their playing......So we just end up getting a tone right then and there. Other times I might get a solid tone and then add layers with reamping.

I always make sure the foundation of the song (drums and bass) are 90% where I want them to be before moving onto guitar. I'll have the client do a Left and Right pass on the chorus and see how it sounds. Most of the time we'll nail it, but if not I always have my DI tracks that I recorded at the same time to fall back on later at mix time.

I always make sure the foundation of the song (drums and bass) are 90% where I want them to be before moving onto guitar. I'll have the client do a Left and Right pass on the chorus and see how it sounds. Most of the time we'll nail it, but if not I always have my DI tracks that I recorded at the same time to fall back on later at mix time.

this.

drums are tracked first, then I record a short snippet of demo-bassguitar, then I place the mic somewhere there and tweak the settings in the control room near the ballpark, and record dual tracked take and then possibly tweak and slightly move the microphone if needed.

I've never re-amped through a physical amp - so I guess I qualify! :)

I just record drums - mix - bass - mix - guitars - mix - vocals - final mix. Pretty much revolves around having to mix as you go, and pay attention to what's being recorded.
When I'm recording I like to record as many different mics / positions as possible since I don't* have the option to fix.
Sometimes it doesn't turn out as awesome as first expected but I usually end up thinking I've done a better job.

*I do take DI's just in case, but I've yet to use them in a finished mix (either re-amped, or plug-in amp).

I get a rough drum and bass mix together (nothing major just some very basic comp and eq) and then sort out the guitar tone. I'll take DI tracks too in case I want to re-amp but I try to get the tone while tracking.

This isn't input on finding the right tone rather than the order everyone tracks their instruments in... I have found it easier to track guitars to the tempo map first and then whatever after that, usually being the drums which eliminates the whole "scratch track" questions that pop up with the beginning bands I've recorded... Anything wrong with that method or is it really whatever keeps a quick work flow? Pro's of tracking drums first? Cons? jw here

This isn't input on finding the right tone rather than the order everyone tracks their instruments in... I have found it easier to track guitars to the tempo map first and then whatever after that, usually being the drums which eliminates the whole "scratch track" questions that pop up with the beginning bands I've recorded... Anything wrong with that method or is it really whatever keeps a quick work flow? Pro's of tracking drums first? Cons? jw here

Nothing wrong with that to be honest, if anything having tight guitar tracks to start with will result in better drum takes. Just as was said previously it's better to get your guitar tone in the context of bass and drums.

although I more or less always take a d.i, i only really reamp if i want to blend another tone, like a clear amp in the mix like an ac30 or something.
It's a case of knowing what you want the end result to be, before you've heard the mix.
experience and practice.