Question for you camera "nerds"

Cat5Messiah

Violator of Sheep
Jan 21, 2003
Seattle/Tacoma (Browns Point), WA
www.myspace.com
So I think it is now time that I upgrade from my 2MP camera on my phone and get an actual digital camera. Though, I had a question on the megapixel rating:

At how many megapixels does it really make a difference? Is 10MP really necessary or is 8MP or even 7MP good enough? I know quality should be good but I feel that there is such a thing as overkill, especially the fact that I won't be viewing pictures at 3000+ resolution.

Also, are there other factors to consider? I noticed that the prices have dropped alot since the last time I looked but I don't want to break the bank on a camera.

I've gone through 4 Olys and will never get another, unless it would be the big spendy ones you can't pack around with you. The last one had a cheap battery door lever that I hope the engineer commits seppuku over for being a disgraceful to Japanese technology. I added that in my RMA by the way.
Fuji photo quality seems good, but little cast plastic buttons that float in the socket scare me.
Last year I picked up a Canon IXY Digital 10 in Japan. Little F'er feels as tough as a turd from IronMan. Small like a cig pack and no dangly things sticking out waiting to get knocked off when dropping from the night stand :oops:
I hear the Nikonsoften get a E18 lens error.

Ask Kevin. He's ALWAYS gets good pics.

As long as you aren't making huge prints, you should be cool with anything about 5mp and higher. Steve takes pics just as good as mine and his camera is only 4.

Hmm O.K. I just snapped a few pics and I think I need to learn some of the settings (Auto isn't always the greatest I take it). I was taking some pics of my kitchen and I was getting spots in the picture. I don't know if the shutter speed or something has to do with that but I don't know what causes it.

I'll post a few pics in a bit.

indoor photos that are taken without something to rest on or a really unsteady hand have a tendency to get a bit blurry, and I don't like using flash on mine.... what camera did you get btw?

I have a Nikon 7MP which is pretty good. After buying it I went on holiday with a friend and he happened to have bought something I was much more impressed with. He has a Panasonic Lumix 10.1 MP 35mm and I can say without doubt that it's an absolutely brilliant camera.

The size of the sensor is much more important than the marketing number that is the megapixel rating. A 35mm film camera has an exposure area of 36x24 mm. A common consumer level compact digicam has a sensor roughly 4x3 mm. At 2 megapixels, those little cameras actually take pretty good pictures, as they have 2 million relatively large sensors. At 8 or 10 megapixels, those sensors are 1/4 or 1/5 the size and lose a great deal of sensitivity.

For reference my own camera is a Canon PowerShot S3 IS. It combines a larger than average 5.8x4.3 mm, 6MP sensor with a 12x optical zoom at a low price point.

Valid point.

Look at the Nikon Coolpix. They have a few models and they're relatively cheap. I've found mine to be pretty good.

It's one of those things that one can discuss for days and never really reach an answer. I'm sure you'll have a good 'un.

:)

Generally, cheap is always bad. Once you get into the moderately expensive range it all depends what your usage is. Professionals will pay more, everyone else can usually be happy with something less flashy.