Question on Mastering..export to stereo track or not before mastering?

oz_golf

Jan 29, 2012
Do we need to export our mixed song to be 1 stereo track before mastering or we could done mastering on a master bus same project without export it first.

It's all preference. I prefer to master in the same project (before exporting) so I could adjust little things after I hear what the mastered version will sound like.

Famous producer suggesting to print mix/master before exporting.So you need to route everything to one stereo bus/aux/group track and set is a input to stereo audio track.I'm working like this last 5-6 month,maybe I'm imaging things but it's sound better.

Famous producer suggesting to print mix/master before exporting.So you need to route everything to one stereo bus/aux/group track and set is a input to stereo audio track.

Wait can you explain this a bit more?

Let say you have drum bus,bass bus,guitar left and guitar right bus and vocal bus send their outputs to master bus which you created,not the master channel,create additional stereo audio track and set master bus as input on that stereo track and that is it.

Let say you have drum bus,bass bus,guitar left and guitar right bus and vocal bus send their outputs to master bus which you created,not the master channel,create additional stereo audio track and set master bus as input on that stereo track and that is it.

Does it different between the main master bus and the master bus that we created?

Does it different between the main master bus and the master bus that we created?

No there is no difference,main difference is in sound that you print as I heard and figure it out,when you export,plugins may not work precise as they do when you print.

I mean the master channel. Print from master bus I created or print from master channel?

You can't print from master channel it last output in any daw.Print or record your mix is applying effects in real time allowing to cpu or dsp or booth to calculate more precise,IMO,in case of exporting there is no real time exporting (it can be set in some DAW-s).For example when I export song and have numerous plugins and vst drum very often happened that part of drums missing,cpu couldn't calculate it and drop it out.That it is impossible to happen when I print.

Well you don't need to do that but if you want you can,it's good thing to do if you have old pc or if you are 100% certain how everything should sound.