Questions for americans in the New York area

fulltosmedvetslos

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2003
Near Stockholm
I'm travel the whole way from Sweden to New York this sunday and I want to know if there is any most visit shops in the Manhattan area for a progressive metal fan...??

Thank you for answers anyway=)

fulltosmedvetslos said:
I'm travel the whole way from Sweden to New York this sunday and I want to know if there is any most visit shops in the Manhattan area for a progressive metal fan...??

Thank you for answers anyway=)
Well, I hope you have time to read this post before you get here. :) I live in NYC, and I can tell you that there aren't any shops in Manhattan that specialize in metal, but there are tons of CD stores to peruse. There are two stores I can think of that aren't in Manhattan that might be better because they actually do specialize in metal: Slipped Disc in Valley Stream, Long Island and Vintage Vinyl in Fords, New Jersey. Both of these places are about 30 miles (in opposite directions) outside of Manhattan, so if you can find someone to give you a lift, it might be worth the trip. :)

I hope that helps. Have fun in New York!

~Christina

JHawk said:
Virgin Megastore has a shitload of CDs, so try there for anything. Second, get out of the touristy areas and go to the Village. You'll find fun there.. :D
I was just there yesterday, the place is huge. I'm sure you could find plenty of stuff there that you would like. I didn't have to look through the store, had to go straight to the DVD's (bought the Clerks animated DVD... just to find that my Playstation isn't strong enough to play the cd's :( )

Virgin MegaStore doesn't have a lot of metal; they have a shitload of stuff but Tower Records has more metal than any other big, well-known record store. But personally, if you're sticking stictly to Manhattan, I'd go downtown to the area around Washington Square Park and St. Marks Place. They have a whole strip of offbeat record stores there where I've come across some prog titles. Otherwise, go to the places that Christina suggested.

Prismatic Sphere said:
Virgin MegaStore doesn't have a lot of metal; they have a shitload of stuff but Tower Records has more metal than any other big, well-known record store. But personally, if you're sticking stictly to Manhattan, I'd go downtown to the area around Washington Square Park and St. Marks Place. They have a whole strip of offbeat record stores there where I've come across some prog titles. Otherwise, go to the places that Christina suggested.
Doesn't it make you sick to think that there isn't one single shop in New York City that specializes in metal and progressive music? You can't take two steps without encountering Starbucks, sex shops and stores that cater exclusively to drag queens and transvestites, but a CD store that specializes in metal? Fuhgetaboutit!!! :p

~Christina

Yeah, pretty much.

Best Buy has some stuff, too. I've seen albums by Opeth, Nightwish, Emperor, Bolt Thrower, In Flames, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, and more...

Stardust2112 said:
Doesn't it make you sick to think that there isn't one single shop in New York City that specializes in metal and progressive music? You can't take two steps without encountering Starbucks, sex shops and stores that cater exclusively to drag queens and transvestites, but a CD store that specializes in metal? Fuhgetaboutit!!! :p

~Christina
Yeah, it is pretty frustrating and very ridiculous. I mean the demand has gotta be there. Why hasn't anybody gotten the clue? I don't know about you...but I smell a golden opportunity.:)$$$

Now,
if a few of us could just raise the capital.....
y'know?

Haha, I dont have a credit card so all my cds come from Best Buy or Boarders. Boarders is cool because the manager at the one in the mall is a big metal head and he gets lots of cds from century media, I got all of Bodom's cds from there, in fact they have their own speical card with artwork on it so they are easy to find, and they have Symphony X but you have to dig for them, I got Divine Wings of Tradgedy. They always have a ton of Dream Theater you can find that band at any music store usually. Symphony X is tough to find though, unfortuantly.

America is backwards ass for music all the good stuff is hard to find and all the bad stuff is easy to find.

I'm not sure this list is exclusive to prog listeners, but here you go:

1) If you're a musician = 48th street.

2) If you're horny = 42nd street.

3) If you're gay = The village or Broadway

4) If you want to be a real tourist = Statue of Liberty or the downtown area where the Trade Center Towers stood.

5) If you're a gambler = rent a car and drive to Atlantic City, NJ.

Enjoy! :)

Yeah, Dream Theater is on a big label so its pretty easy to find them in any store. SyX, it depends, some stores, like my local borders, have The Odyssey in, while best buy doesnt stock them. I also usually see them in FYE's (small) metal section. You can generally find slightly larger underground metal bands tho, like theres always usually a section for Blind Guardian or Stratovarius in the larger stores.

ProgMetalFan said:
Wow, I can't believe the largest city in the country doesn't have a single metal store!
meanwhile a teeny-tiny city (by american standards) in aussieland has a dedicated metal cd shop... and that would be verandah music in adelaide. i used to get all my cd's from there before i moved up to the freezer. :headbang:

crapola said:
meanwhile a teeny-tiny city (by american standards) in aussieland has a dedicated metal cd shop... and that would be verandah music in adelaide. i used to get all my cd's from there before i moved up to the freezer. !:headbang:
I don't think anybody would consider a population of 1,092,900 to be teeny-tiny.