Questions for those who have insane Drum Editing Skills!!

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I think anyone who is either working professionally or just as a hobbyist regularly identifies their weaknesses and stumbles over them for years, while forever trying to strengthen those weaknesses. Particularly in this field, one weakness in the chain can influence the final product of your Production so much.

For a long Time i was really Ignorant about Sampling and Drum Replacement until one day, a few years ago, i used ezDrummer on a track, then Drumagog. this led to Beat detective and Elastic Audio. It completly changed the sound of all my recordings as most of you would have experienced yourselves.

So Im Using mainly Elastic Audio and a Bit of Beat detective at the moment. Kicks and Snares Pretty Simple to Quantize to Grid. Thats Fine, but my problem is, my overheads. Is there a way to Quantize Overheads relatively to the snare/toms? Or, Whats the best way of getting your Overheads intime so theres no snare Mismatch.

Also, Ive tried to figure this out, and many of you have said its possible, but How do i turn Audio Transients Into Midi. Im using Protools, So KTdrumtrigger is Out of the Question (Even with a wrapper). Does Drumagog Do this? if so how? Are there any Protools Users doing this?

Thanks For Reading. I hope someone can help me finally Get better at this.

Cheers.:loco:

I'm not gonna be able to help you really but I just wanted to jump in and ask what is up with those random capital letters on random words in the middle of the sentences? Hahaha, it looks hilarious :D

"finally Get better", "For a long Time i was", "and a Bit of" etc.

Yea sorry, I'm an ass but it just looks damn funny :D

iF yOu PuRChase onE (sorry...) of Massey's Plugins you get this AudioSuite plugin (forgot the name) for free, that turns audio transients into midi notes, but don't know how this could help quantizing your overheads. Why don't you just use elastic audio to quantize (manually or automatically) your overheads. It detects the transients and will let you move them around as you like?

iF yOu PuRChase onE (sorry...) of Massey's Plugins you get this AudioSuite plugin (forgot the name) for free, that turns audio transients into midi notes, but don't know how this could help quantizing your overheads. Why don't you just use elastic audio to quantize (manually or automatically) your overheads. It detects the transients and will let you move them around as you like?

Oh i forgot to mention, the Midi Thing isnt for overheads.

Quantizing over heads never ever seems to get exctly the same Transients as snare. I still get alot of mismatches

um so your saying this problem that ive been happening since forever is because i have ben selecting track at a time?
if so.....
Erm, I feel so very stupid right now...

Thankyou haha lol

Any Light on the Audio > MIDI

You have to edit your drums as a group i.e cutting your and moving all drum tracks together otherwise you get the problems your having with overheads not matching the close miced drum tracks.

The only exception is the kick which you could edit seperatly if you wanted provided the kick was isolated from the overheads during tracking this along with hi passing to around 600 should mean you could edit kicks seperate from the other drum tracks.

Didn't I read something about grouped warp markers somewhere in the Pro Tools documentation? Let's see... (you hear a mousewheel clicking for some minutes) ...OK, there it is. PT8 manual, page 785 "Edit Groups and Warp Editing", which says [(c)Digidesign, 2008, printed without permission]:
"Elastic Audio-enabled tracks can be included in Edit Groups. For Elastic Audio-enabled tracks that are part of an Edit Group, applying Elastic Audio processing on one track likewise applies it to all other tracks within that Edit Group."
So here's what I would do to quantize a sloppy snare that is also audible on my overheads. Put the snare track and the overhead tracks into one edit group (all those tracks must be elastic audio-enabled) and move all snare hits that are off to the correct position using the warp markers (or do this automatically, but I never did this, so dunno how). The overhead's audio should follow the editing regardless of the transients (or not) in the overhead track.
Maybe that's what you're looking after, are you?
BTW: Interesting capitalization is used in the Pro Tools manual, too ;-)

So here's what I would do to quantize a sloppy snare that is also audible on my overheads. Put the snare track and the overhead tracks into one edit group (all those tracks must be elastic audio-enabled) and move all snare hits that are off to the correct position using the warp markers (or do this automatically, but I never did this, so dunno how). The overhead's audio should follow the editing regardless of the transients (or not) in the overhead track.
Maybe that's what you're looking after, are you?

Yeah thats exactly it. Im about to try now. Thanks heaps

"Elastic Audio-enabled tracks can be included in Edit Groups. For Elastic Audio-enabled tracks that are part of an Edit Group, applying Elastic Audio processing on one track likewise applies it to all other tracks within that Edit Group."

Uhm, were you referring to the piece you just pasted in? In that case, no, that isn't "interesting" capitalization, it's correct :p An "Edit Group" is (in this case) actually like a name, just like Steve or Gabriel, which is why it has capital letters... I assume. But what I'm Writing right Now does Have some Interesting capitalization :)

(God I'm such an ass! haha :()

And oh yes, I can contribute something that's actually on topic! Uhm... no I can't, it's been said already :) The thing about editing drums as a group that is... and it's quite logical actually, since a drum performance is just that, a (as in ONE) performance, irregardless of how many mics and tracks you have from that performance. All tracks contain the same performance so if you edit them separately, you end up with something that is no longer one performance which will sound like the drummer sort of overdubbed himself. Not so good :/

Thanks Guys For the Help (On Quantizing Drums) I Just Tried It Then And It All Works Good. I Should Have Tried That Earlier, Seems Really Obvious Now, Lol.

However Next time I'll Find a English, Grammar and Literacy Forum For The Tips On Capatilization.

Uhm, were you referring to the piece you just pasted in? In that case, no, that isn't "interesting" capitalization, it's correct :p An "Edit Group" is (in this case) actually like a name, just like Steve or Gabriel, which is why it has capital letters... I assume. But what I'm Writing right Now does Have some Interesting capitalization :)
(God I'm such an ass! haha :()
+
No problem, I know and I knew that someone like you would come around and know better :lol: (no aggression, just pure fun, really!).

Haha :D

I'm just a stupid dumb fuck who takes the slightest chance he can to make himself look like he knows it all. There, I said it. This thread has its balance restored now. :D

It's fun to have some distance to oneself and such, but I'll never be able to beat Mr. Devin Townsend in that :)

If anyone knows; does Elastic Audio, If used to stretch sustained notes/decays a little drastically, have that funny warble/warpy sound like it does in Cubase when using Time-stretch?

I just found that then it does a Little. I guess it just depends how much it has to stretch, if its over say 1/4 notes yeh its pretty obvious, but if your working over 16th or 8ths You can get away with it.