Questions Regarding Acoustic Treatment

Random3

Jul 6, 2014
Cardiff, UK
www.facebook.com
Hi guys, have a couple of questions as I am looking to get some acoustic treatment in my room.

I don't have dimensions at the moment but I can provide them if needed.

I have done some research and I think I have a reasonable understanding of what panels go where, and where to put bass traps etc.

First question is windows. My room has a large window on one of the walls at a 90 degree angle to where my desk is going to be, and would likely be a place I would want to put some dampening. How does the window affect the sound of the room? Can I stick some padding on the glass? Is there any point in doing this?

Second question, is there a way I can attach foam panels or bass traps to my walls without causing damage to the paintwork when I come to remove them. I ask because I am moving into a brand new house which I will be renting for the forseeable future but I do not want to have to re-paint my room when I move out.

Last question, this is specifically what I was looking at getting: http://www.acoustic-foam.co.uk/shop/afhs-home-studio-kit

Can anyone offer alternatives? Any experiece with this particular kit?

Cheers.

Don't waste your money on foam, it has little to no effect on midrange and bass frequencies, so all you end up doing is dulling down the treble while everything else is still bouncing around the room. You're FAR better off building broadband absorbers using rockwool panels. Check this video out:

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't be able to check out the video for a few days as I am suffering a lack of mobile data due to lack of internet from the house move.

I am not exactly competent with DIY, and I have literally no tools to use, or any real space to build them. I would be far more comfortable purchasing something because unless it is incredibly simple to aquire materials for and build these I fear it would be a waste of time and money.

I'll check out the video once I get internet set up again and have a look though.

Presumably if I did build some absorbtion pads they would need to be secured to the walls somehow? Would there be any easily removable way to do this as I haven't checked yet what I am allowed to do in terms of drilling holes or using nails etc.

The video is basically showing you how to use Owens Corning 703 insulation to build panels. Frame, insulation, fabric wrapped around the outside.

There's a few ways you can hang panels without damaging the walls. Or you could put them on stands and be able to move them around.

I recently had an idea - 3M makes these towel hooks and other types of hooks to hang crap off of. They use this adhesive tape that you can literally pull right off the wall, clean as a whistle. I just don't know if they'd be strong enough to hold a panel......

I recently had an idea - 3M makes these towel hooks and other types of hooks to hang crap off of. They use this adhesive tape that you can literally pull right off the wall, clean as a whistle. I just don't know if they'd be strong enough to hold a panel......

They're not. Tried it...panels fell.

If you want to MINIMIZE damage to the wall try the Hercules Hooks or Mighty Hooks or whatever brand is available near you. I used them on my DIY panels and they worked like a charm. :kickass:

regarding windows.....

I find they cause some nasty resonances quite high up. there's enough great studios with large areas of glass windows so it's obviously not a huge problem if you plan around them.

Depending what's on the opposite wall, you could have lots of diffusion to scatter those reflections. I've heard of people using thick drapes to calm the high resonances that come up. I block out the windows making a vocal booth with IKEA bookcases filled with rockwool - it definitely helps take that shit and they're a piece of piss to build.

Your best bet is to see what effect it's having on your room and try and a few solutions to see what solves it best.

I block out the windows making a vocal booth with IKEA bookcases filled with rockwool - it definitely helps take that shit and they're a piece of piss to build.

That might not be a bad idea, would save me having to build a wooden frame.

Once I have internet sorted I'll get a floor plan drawn up and measured and see what you guys think as far as positioning and size.

Yeah that is a good point, I remember seeing some ikea bookshelf/bass trap things and it really would take alot of the effort out. Buy & assemble the bookcase, shove in some rockwool panels and staple on some fabric, then you just need a way to mount them and you're done!

Excellent. Fabric and mounting I think I have a few ideas, the only thing now would be aquiring rockwool, as I have no idea what thickness I would need or where to get it. I'll have a look on eBay unless anyone knows any DIY stores in the UK that may sell it?

I bought a load off ebay, theres usually a load of people that buy too much and have it left over. Think I paid £50 for about 5 packs of 4 big slabs.

The good thing with those IKEA things is they're a piece of piss to build, the only fiddly bit is the fabric. The bookcases are £20 which is well worth it. It also means you can move things around easily and find where your problem areas are.

Cool, any particular desity I should/shouldn't look for?

Also as far as securing the rockwool to the wood should I cut the rockwool to size, slide it in and then just use a screwdriver and screw in from the outside?

Also probably a silly question but should the back of the whole thing be covered? Like the front is going to have fabric over it but is it safe/clean to have the back as just an open slab of rockwool?

EDIT: Found this one which could be ideal because the back would be covered anyway http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10261129/

Lots of questions I know, I just want to have a clear idea in my head before I get started as I have never done anything like this before.

I think I used RWA 45 but I can't remember for certain. theres a few different ones that will all do a good job. Those are the bookcases I used, they'll basically fit one and a half slabs and you can get a few layers in if you want. I had some other insulation knocking around that I filled the excess space with.

The back has a cardboard sheet that nails in. I just built it as normal but without putting the shelves in. Then before putting the back on, I stapled the fabric along the inner edge of the bookcase and then put the rock wool in. From my own experiences, I'd say you're better off under filling them slightly than overfilling.....

once all the rockwool is in, just nail the cardboard backing on and its done.

Sounds simple enough, I'll start with just one and see how that goes.

I recall reading that it can be advantageous to position absorbtion pads with a reasonable gap between them and the wall, which can help when controlling bass frequencies. Would an alternative be to simply leave an air gap between the rockwool panel and the back of the shelving unit do the same thing? Or would it make more sense to cram as much rockwool in as possible and then just position it accordingly.

I'm far from anything close to an expert but I wouldn't imagine you'll get anything useful bouncing back from the back of the bookcase. I have definitely found bringing the cases away from the walls into the room helps a fair bit though. The best thing about them is being able to move them so freely - a vocal booth one day, behind the drum kit another, around the mix position on the next.

Ok fair enough, that makes sense.

I'll probably get one sorted in the next month, will try to get a post up here when I do. Also I'll get a post up with my room dimensions in case anyone has some positioning advice.

Thanks again.