Questions

Mustang

The Edge
Sep 15, 2006
Tremont, IL
www.eternity-x.com
Hello,
I hope all of you don't mind me asking this, But I could use some help.
I have never gotten to attend progpower and
I'm working on trying getting money together to go and I need an idea of how much costs are such as hotel rooms and all of that. I figure if i have a goal there's a small chance I can get the funds together.(Gotta love bank loans).

So if anyone has any insight please let me know.

Also do tickets sell out fast?

Well one cool things is your tickets and airfare are paid for way in advance, if you like me anyways. Depends where your coming from on Airfare, so just do a search on flights, Delta has a hub there in Atlanta so they will always be the cheapest from my experience. Hotels on the other hand can be cheap if your not close to the venue, the hotel's near the venue are pretty much sold out for that weekend already, you might get lucky with a cancellation though, they are pricey, I am paying $139.00 a night, but thats my choice to stay at the Grenada and its my vacation :loco:

I try to bring at least $750 with me for spending, food, merch, ect ect that also depends on your budget...You will get a lot of great tips in this thread...Good luck

Bear

You really might want to grab a reservation at the nearest available hotel ASAP if you're going. I also have a feeling that tickets might go pretty quick as well. I survived ok with about $450 for food/drink/merch/airport parking last year. I usually don't book my flight until May - July, keep an eye on prices as you can screw yourself by booking too early, or too late.
Get that hotel res asap though, I'm serious!

J-Dubya

Hotels on the other hand can be cheap if your not close to the venue, the hotel's near the venue are pretty much sold out for that weekend already, you might get lucky with a cancellation though, they are pricey, I am paying $139.00 a night, but thats my choice to stay at the Grenada and its my vacation :loco:

heh, this year you're getting a deal... regular single rooms (1 bed, 1 sofa bed) at the RI are going for something like $180 a night. Myself, I still have a room at the RI and a room at the Granada reserved, until I find out whether or not I'm going to have a roommate.

Last year I stayed in a Days Inn in Marietta, which is about 20 minutes away from Center Stage, for $49 a night. I drove though, so the distance wasn't a problem for me. I think I only spent about $200 for merch/food.

I agree with getting hotel reservations early. This will be my first year as well and I waited up until about two weeks ago to even start calling hotels. I finally did get the Super 8 for $89 a night which is .04 or .05 miles or something like that from center stage. I'll be driving to the show and I will charge the room on my credit card. Besides that, I am gonna take about $400 for everything (a friend and I are splitting gas and the room). I don't even know if I will need that much money but I am gonna take it just to be safe.

you're planning on $400 to be enough for gas, food, merch over 4 days after driving? You're a better man than I. I take about $300 with me just for food, beer, and cds/shirts. Unless you're closer to atlanta than I was, that $400 is going to cut it close just getting there and back.

Also, while Delta is hubbed in Atlanta and can often provide non-stop service easier, they are not always the cheapest....in fact, they tend to overcharge on routes where there is no major competition.

If you use an online ticket locating site like Hotwire or Orbitz, be sure to also check AirTran's site at www.airtran.com -- they are also hubbed here in Atl. and they can be remarkably less than Delta. It's important to check separately because many ticket sites don't include Airtran in their searches. Of course, they don't have the expansive network of flights like Delta does, but if they serve a city near you, they're worth checking into.

heh, this year you're getting a deal... regular single rooms (1 bed, 1 sofa bed) at the RI are going for something like $180 a night. Myself, I still have a room at the RI and a room at the Granada reserved, until I find out whether or not I'm going to have a roommate.
Geez, they're definitely getting all they can out of this. 2-bedroom suite in the Granada (two floors, kitchen, living room) $199/night. Split four way, that ain't too bad.

I must confess, I don't really know HOW much I spend at PP, since I tend to use the debit card for most things. I do know I spent an impressive amount Wednesday night buying other people drinks especially a round for some band. :kickass: Not going to make that an annual event. :lol:

you're planning on $400 to be enough for gas, food, merch over 4 days after driving? You're a better man than I. I take about $300 with me just for food, beer, and cds/shirts. Unless you're closer to atlanta than I was, that $400 is going to cut it close just getting there and back.

I'm just in North Carolina. A friend and I will be splitting gas and hotel room. The hotel will be charged. I really doubt I'm gonna spend $400.

Also, while Delta is hubbed in Atlanta and can often provide non-stop service easier, they are not always the cheapest....in fact, they tend to overcharge on routes where there is no major competition.

If you use an online ticket locating site like Hotwire or Orbitz, be sure to also check AirTran's site at www.airtran.com -- they are also hubbed here in Atl. and they can be remarkably less than Delta. It's important to check separately because many ticket sites don't include Airtran in their searches. Of course, they don't have the expansive network of flights like Delta does, but if they serve a city near you, they're worth checking into.

Point counter point...Ahhhh shuddup :p:p:p:p:p

I just priced tickets for both AirTran and Delta from a comparable location. Delta charges $278 RT, which includes fees. AirTran runs $278.80 for the same route (NYC-LaGuardia to Atlanta-Hartsfield). In fact, It is AirTran's First/Business Class is far cheaper R/T at $678.80 as compared to Delta's $728.80.

I hope this helps.

Peace,
Ray C.

Okay here in SF I just did the same comparison. Delta with selected seats before departure non stop to ATL $340.00 Airtran non selected seats non stop to ATL $360.00. So I guess it all depends on your location. I am a Delta sky team member so I always fly Delta when I can. I hope the prices go down a little, that almost $100.00 than I paid last year.

Bear

Hello,
I hope all of you don't mind me asking this, But I could use some help.
I have never gotten to attend progpower and I'm working on trying getting money together to go and I need an idea of how much costs are such as hotel rooms and all of that. I figure if i have a goal there's a small chance I can get the funds together. Also do tickets sell out fast?

My suggestions:

1. Reserve a hotel room NOW! Even if you cancel later, you have one ready to go. Most of the good ones in the area are taken (they went within hours of the dates being announced). I have reservations at the Super 8 a few blocks north of the venue. Its not great, but my friend and I had a good time partying with some other PP attendees.

2. Make plane reservations several months in advance. My advice - look them up on Travelocity for ease of listing times/airlines/prices, etc. and THEN go to the airline for the flight you want to book on. You'll get them a few bucks cheaper.

3. Use public transit. Atlanta's subway system is called MARTA. I used it for the last two years and it is great. No rental car needed. The southern terminus is at the aiport, and the stop you need is within a block of the venue. Most hotels are within walking distance. Note - the MARTA shuts down before the last show of the night. Get a hotel within walking distance!

4. Budget for buying CDs. You'll find TONS of vendors of hard to find ProgPower metal CDs. The major and some minor labels are represented there, plus a couple of vendors who deal only with ProgPower metal.

5. Budget for food and other things to do (trip to the aquarium, etc.).

My friend SkiBumMSP and I have been there twice, and we plan on going again this year. And this year, most of us expect tickets to sell out VERY quickly. Glen has a very good lineup set for 2007 and I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out within 2 or 3 days.

Thanks for the tips all.
Thankfully a plane Ticket isn't something I'll need.
I also have some folks I think will let me catch a ride up with them.

Still if tickets are sell out fast not looking like I'll be able to attend.

But I'm gonna give it a good try.

you can always find tickets on ebay close to the show date, and there's ALWAYS people selling extras here. There's no need to worry about getting a ticket if it sells out right away, tickets will make themselves avalible.