Quick question: KsE - ADD guitar tone?

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
Just wanted to know what amp+cab they used on Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies album. The song My Curse in particular if they used several amps.

Please don't tell me to use the search function. Believe me, I've spent almost 3 hours searching with no answer. :)

I'm certain that it was a SLO-100 (I think it was a mod) into a Mesa Stiletto 4 x 12, mic'd with a single 57, through Adam's Neve. They said that they also used some Triple rec's, but that may have been for leads.

I don't think Andy had much to do with ADD's mix. I think that "No SLO" comment was for TEOH or AOJB.

AFAIK, Adam D. mentioned it was SLO and Triple Recto.

That comment by Sneap was referring to one of the albums he was involved in, he had nothing to do with ADD, it was all Adam D. Adam also did the ATR record released about the same time, and the tones are very similar, so I'm guessing that's what was used.

I also swear I've read countless times the main rhythm tone is a triple recto. And to be fair.. given how it sounds, i'd be darn surprised if it's not

Just found this... But also, Maxon OD808... ALWAYS that model apparently.

In the studio for the recording of "As Daylight Dies", Dutkiewicz was quoted in an interview with PunkTv.ca, as producing the guitar tone for the album using a "guitar plugged into a Soldano plugged into a Mesa Boogie cab. We never really got to crazy with the guitar stuff at all. It’s just plug in a good guitar into a good amplifier, into a good cabinet."

and this... So I couldn't tell you :p But it still sounds MESA IMO

IC: What kinds of guitars, amps, mics, etc. did you use to make the new record?

A: We’re endorsed by a small Japanese guitar company called Caparison. They’re all hand-made. They’re kind of like Ibanez, but made really, really good. You know, kind of shredder guitars, very cool. We used those on the record. For amplifiers we used some Mesa/Boogie Triple [Rectifiers] and the Soldano SLO head. For cabinets we always used Mesa/Boogie straights with Vintage 30’s in them. And for guitar tone, you can’t go wrong with the idiot setup – the [Shure SM] 57 through a decent mic-preamp.

So cool to find out what and how the tone was for that album! That album has such a meaty good guitar tone. (EOH was great too)
I didn't know they used a Tripple Rectifier and a SLO. I always thought it was just a blend of different heads and cabs.

Well there’s a cool video on youtube that confirms the tone was a od808, modded SLO (no clean channel or FX loop) into a Mesa Trad.

Tried recreating with my Jet City and also Neural DSP’s SLO plugin. Both got extremely close with my 2001 Mesa Trad IR’s.

the main thing is to use the crunch channel and crank the tone controls up a fair bit. nothing crazy going on at all.

Still probably my favourite heavy rhythm tone ever, it’s crazy in 2022 we can get something so similar with absolutely no effort at all.

Reactions: Ngoc