Quick thoughts on CHAOS MOON - Languor Into Echoes, Beyond

Dark One

The Tainted Dogma
Feb 5, 2002
Southwest Florida
www.ultimatemetal.com
Cross posted from RC:

Ok, late to the party on this, shame on me. While a bit uneven, this is definitely a high quality slab of atmospheric & melodic black metal. My favorite tracks are "Waning" (which is definitely the most immediate track on the album and had me headbanging from the word go with it's incredibly infectious lead riff - this would be an outstanding opening track in a live setting), as well as "Hymn to Iniquity" & "Countless Reverie In Mare" (two exquisite examples of soulful, atmospheric pieces of art - at once both hypnotic & emotive). The riff that begins at the 2:44 mark of "Hymn to Iniquity" is absolutely unforgettable and just jaw dripping with emotion.

The only real drawbacks for me personally are the at times high pitched "squealy" quality of the growls, I much prefer the vocals when the pitch is kept at lower levels. In addition, the opening track "De Mortalitate" doesn't do the rest of the album justice IMO with it's too straightforward and well..... "chaotic" sound without any real discernable melody or groove. I don't think it does a very good job at setting the table for the mood of the album to come and may put off those with short attention spans. Lastly, I could do without the 7 minute keyboard passage that ends the song "Simulacrum of Mirrors" - I think what they were going for there could've been condensed to about a minute and been far more effective instead of lulling me to sleep. Otherwise, the track is solid.

Very cool stuff overall and I'm greatly looking forward to checking these guys out at Heathen Crusade III. If they perform "Waning", "The Palterer", "Hymn to Iniquity" & "Countless Reverie in Mare" and do so effectively - they have a great chance at being one of the more memorable acts of the festival.

Thanks again to Ars Magna for not giving up and continuing to nudge me in their direction.

Jason

If they perform "Waning", "The Palterer", "Hymn to Iniquity" & "Countless Reverie in Mare" and do so effectively - they have a great chance at being one of the more memorable acts of the festival.

Waning and The Palterer are played, but the lengthy keyboard tracks aren't. Maybe one day, though.

I just went and bought this cd off eBay, I hope I like it :kickass:

My guess is you will. The review from Dark One is probably the most negative I have seen to date, and it's not a bad review. I've heard from a few people that picked it up this weekend and they have all raved about it. I'm obviously a little biased, but it's an amazing album.

Jason, I'm spinning this for the first time. I think I better listen to your BM thoughts more often. If the first track of Hvis is one of your favourites, Nae'blis rules, you finally like Beatrik, and you like Ancient Rites first album, then I think I found another person with great taste!

Personally I'm loving the squeals, the bring a variation to the insanity?

/\ Thank you sir. :kickass:

I will say that my thoughts were based on a few initial spins, so I could very well warm up to the "squealy" growls over time. At first listen, they just struck me as a little odd and distracted me a bit more than I would've liked (though they certainly have a uniqueness to them all their own). That said, they also didn't come close to permeating the entire album or anything (especially on the godly final tracks) and I was obviously left with a very positive impression overall.

It'll be staying in my rotation for the time being. Plus, it's a full "Moon" tonight and my life has definitely been in a state of "Chaos" lately so the timing couldn't be better! :loco:

That's great to hear. The respect I have for swizzles is definitely mutual, so your willingness to take the plunge once he reco'd it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, listening to this again and I have to admit, the higher pitched vocals are indeed growing on me more with every listen. I'm even getting into the first track more than I did before, but from "Abstract Tongues" onward, the cd is just :kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

Man do I wish there was a way to get a keyboard player for "Hymn to Iniquity" so that song could be played live. What a powerful expression that one is.

Jason