Quick thoughts on the Worcester, MA show 10/30/2005

Deliverance was a LOT slower. Particularly noticeable at the end of the song. My thought was that they were tking it easy on Axenrot.

and Peter is one of the least animated performers I've ever seen. Not that I particularly care... Anyone know what was up with his guitar in (if I remember correctly) DOTF? The tech came out, checked something, Peter looked worried, they got it back up again and Peter shrugged, as if to say, "Whatever..." Anyone have a better view of what actually happened?

Best show I have ever seen. Period.

Then you, my friend, have not been to many shows. It was okay, but not great. The sound sucked - and it was obvious that the crew was having difficulties in between Nevermore and Opeth. Even after Opeth started, Peter kept having issues with his guitar (during DOTF he was standing around at one point with this 'why the fuck isn't my guitar working' face). The Nevermore singer kept motioning to the soundboard to turn various things up or down. Plus, the accoustics in the Palladium vary greatly depending on where you are. I was about ten rows back towards the left, and I heard every word Mikael said.

And, while it was neat to hear When and Face of Melinda, I did not like hearing 4 repeat songs from the D&D tour (Deliverance, Blackwater Park, In My Time Of Need, and of course, DOTF). I mean, you know we're getting DOTF. But with only 9 songs on the setlist, I could have done without these repeats (I would have prefered: A Fair Judgement, The Leper Affinity and To Rid The Disease).

I thought Fireball Ministry sucked

That's too bad. And it proves that you haven't been to too many shows, because there have been bands who were far worse than they to open for Opeth. They weren't that bad, but they weren't that good either. I was tapping my foot and nodding my head - so, fine - that's what the opening band should make me do. Devil Driver, on the other hand couldn't get through their set fast enough. Talk about suck.

my God, their guitarist chic is so hot.

Really? Okay. She was hot in that 'she's not a guy' kind of way.

Nevermore were pretty great, but yea, their sound was fucked up especially at the beginning of born. Their guitarist fucking pwns, he was shredding like mad.

I agree with everything - especially that last point. That guy is amazing.

Pit wasn't insane, from where I could see, and it was pretty packed.

You're right - the pit was pretty calm. The Nevermore singer practically had to beg for a pit during the last song. In general, it was one of the most polite crowds I've ever been a part of - in terms of how they treated each other. I saw no injuries, no idiots charging the pit with fists flying. Hell - people were even passing water to each other in between sets (complete with pleases and thank-yous !?)

during "Face of Melinda," it seemed like everyone in the crowd was talking amongst themselves.

This was completely true, and the only time the crowd was not acting cool. But - what are you gonna do?

I hate getting old and being responsible.

Funny story - I'm about to turn 30, and I ran into this 18 year-old kid I know from around town. I'm talking to him, and SOTU comes up. I say I didn't go because I didn't really like any of the other bands enough. His friend, standing next to him starts freaking out and pointing to his 'Lamb of God' teeshirt. So I had to explain to him that, since I didn't grow up on their music, it really doesn't seem that good to me. Opeth is one of the few bands who can match (and exceed) the quality of the 80s bands I grew up on.

Also - have you noticed that Opeth can kick your ass without looking like their even trying to kick your ass? Other bands are always running around and screaming and calling us motherfuckers and generally trying to dominate the crowd. Opeth slays with its music (and, I might mention, their humor - I love that they don't take themselves seriously - kind of a 'hey, we're a band - we're going to play as hard as we can for as long as we can - take it or leave it')

One other thing that pissed me off was that I paid $15 to park in the lot directly across from the Palladium.

Next time you see a show there - if there isn't anything going on at the Centrum (now the DCU Center) try driving around a bit. You will probably find a spot on the street (as I did last night). These spots are free, as meters are only used before 5pm.

If there is something going on at the DCU, try this (I did it on the D&D tour). Park in the DCU garage. It says that it's $10 or $15, but all the workers go home after the DCU closes down. If it's a hockey game, everyone will be out of the garage by 11:30. Then, at 12:30, when you are leaving, get your car and watch as no one attempts to collect money from you! The gate will be open, and you will have enough money to get much needed post-mosh eats.

Finally...

All in all - not a bad show. It would be nice if they could have a longer set, or even two sets with an intermission. But I guess that would take money which would require them selling out or death metal becoming popular, neither of which I want. I can't imagine they're making too much money with $18 tickets (how many ways is THAT getting split??)

:headbang:

wwallinga said:
That's too bad. And it proves that you haven't been to too many shows, because there have been bands who were far worse than they to open for Opeth.

I never claimed to have been to a ton of shows, but as i said, its the best show i've seen, and the first time i've seen Opeth. I've never seen a band as boring as FbM quite honestly. I've been to about 7 or 8 shows. If we had gotten Into Eternity, it would have made the entire show a lot better.

Really? Okay. She was hot in that 'she's not a guy' kind of way.

No, she was hot in a "wow thats one of the hottest metal chics ive seen" kind of way :D (I was also about 15 rows back, so this is a judgement call from a distance, maybe i should look at pics on the band's site before i make up my mind :p )

Thanks for the parking tips. I knew something didn't add up when it was 7:00 and I noticed there were only about a dozen cars in the parking lot I was in. I was just happy I found the place and I just went to the first lot I found. I wish I had looked around a little more because when I pulled into the lot after paying, I noticed numerous parking spots on the main street. Oh well, lesson learned.

Good show. The band seemed to be enjoying themselves. I had a lot of trouble hearing Mike too which was a bummer. What's up with people talking so much? I could barely hear Face of Melinda.

Lopez definately missed. Hard shoes to fill.

Parking tips - lots of free parking at the meters after 6pm on the side streets (Maple etc).

Did anyone go to the meet and greet after the gig?

BurningSky said:
I dont know if anyone else saw this one kid, but he was absolutely hilarious. I actually missed part of the show just watching him. He was quite the portly fellow, and would constantly jump up and down screaming "OPETH!!" holding his hand to his mouth like its a microphone. He seemed wasted out of his mind. I asked the girl that he was with if he was on drugs, but he wasnt. He fell down like 3 or 4 times, one time falling on the girl. He also licked the girls face a couple times, which was sickening and hilarious at the same time. Seriously, all the kids around me were just watching this one guy because he was out of his mind drunk. After they played deliverence he shouted out "DELIVERENCE!" as if to request it again... I don't know if anyone noticed this guy, but he was hilarious.
I was leaning against the first railing above the floor on the right side, and that drunk dude was RIGHT INFRONT OF ME. It was fucking terrible, but we had a good laugh watching him take spills. He was plastered out of his mind, obviously...

This was my first time seeing Opeth and I thought it was great, but the sound quality was not the best. I couldn't hear half the shit Mikael was saying between songs, mostly because the crowd was very loud. I thought Fireball was crap, and yes, their guitarist chick was smoking. Nevermore did alright, and I agree that their sound was really blurry. Their lead singer yelled, "Lemme see that fuckin' pit!!" and the majority of the floor became a mosh pit.

Overall it was a great time. My legs are still sore from walking from Worcester State, waiting in line for an hour and a half-ish, seeing the show and then walking back.

umasser2004 said:
mikaelhat.jpg
What the FUCK is that? :err:

rissy said:
What the FUCK is that? :err:
Somebody's Halloween hat was circulating around the floor, and he got it from someone and put it on right after coming out for the encore. It was funny. He took it off though. Would have been hilarious seeing him playing Demon of the Fall while wearing it.

herrhav0k said:
Somebody's Halloween hat was circulating around the floor, and he got it from someone and put it on right after coming out for the encore. It was funny. He took it off though. Would have been hilarious seeing him playing Demon of the Fall while wearing it.

agreed!

Was anyone else annoyed that you could never hear Per's keys except for maybe 2 or 3 times when the music was really quiet? sigh. It kind of ruined Baying Of The Hounds for me,

brown cardigan said:
Did anyone go to the meet and greet after the gig?

No, and I wish I did, just to tell Mikael that the last song played at my wedding two weeks ago was "Ending Credits." :D

Excellent. The people at returntothepit take some great photos.
Some great shots of Opeth at the Berklee Performance Center from 2003 there as well!

in limbow said:
this is kind of off topic but it's awesome to see someone else who's a fan of hendrix AND opeth. usually not that popular of a combination

Hah. I guess not. I listen to a variety of music.

after listening to the new bloodbath album a lot and seeing them live at Wacken, i can confidently say that if the songs opeth played were indeed slowed down, it wasn't for Axe's sake.

This was my first Oprth show so all in all i thought it was awsome. Although i definitly know what you guys are talking about with the sound since ive been to plenty of concerts (except opeth). I wanted Mike's voice louder in the mix, i wanted his growls to rattle my chest : ).

I also thought Fireball Minestry was a good light hearted opener, the lead singer reminded me of Jack Black in School of Rock.

It was my first time seeing Nevermore, and although im not a big fan of the prophetic sounding vocals, i thought their guitarist on the left (right in from of me) was insane! His solos were badass and he just nailed them.

Reclusive Strike said:
No, she was hot in a "wow thats one of the hottest metal chics ive seen" kind of way :D (I was also about 15 rows back, so this is a judgement call from a distance, maybe i should look at pics on the band's site before i make up my mind :p )

hmm I was in the front row at the dallas show and I didn't think she was "hot" She was ok, but certainly not hot. I was standing right next to her when I was trying to get in line for a cd and she had this double chin kind of shit going on. She is one of those girls that looks good from far away, but up close she is not all that great.