Few thoughts on Worcester show

squeegee your third eye

Johnny salutes you
Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
Yes, Opeth absolutely deliver live, instrumentally, vocally, everything. I was wondering if maybe they were more a studio band-- too technical or uptight live maybe? Nope. They exude charisma, energy, and love of the music and fans. No rock star BS, no metal histrionics. Just genuine warmth and energy. It was a thrill to witness such deserving musicians finding artistic and popular success before your very eyes. Worcester loves its Opeth. During the preceding set break, many cheered as their logo banner lowered.

Setlist? No complaints here, though a track from Orchid would have rounded out the evening nicely. Three songs from Blackwater was a little excessive—why not one more Still Lifer?—but, then again, why nitpick? We all have our favorites and they can’t please every one perfectly.
Quick breakdown:

1. Leper Affinity: Powerful opening. How more blown away could we be? The sound mix perfect, the growl deep and menacing, and when we hit the clean vocals – yes, Mikael delivers live, all doubts dispelled. No harmonies, but they make up for it with his strong vocal tone and a little reverb.

2. Advent: I loved it. It flowed better than album version IMO. Being a newer fan, I’m not quite as enthusiastic about their first couple albums, which are more instrumental and less cohesive in terms of song composition, but this performance was genuinely exciting.

3. Deliverance: Solid version, though I must admit, I thought they might have been a little off here and there. Not that they made mistakes per se, but it might have been a little rushed or uncomfortable, at least compared to an older favorite like Advent, which flowed naturally. Still great though; I just don’t think they hit the song’s “sweet spot.” Everyone cheered when the final section came up.

4. Drapery Falls: A little more raw than the polished, produced studio version, but it wasn’t missing anything. The crowd cheered some bits, especially the final acoustic vocal hook. Beautiful.

5. Godhead’s Lament: Yes! One of my highlights. Played to perfection. Sounded as rich as album, even thought the acoustic bits a bit more spare. They hit the “sweet spot” of this one, to say the least.

6. Credence: Sounded great. What else can you say? Personally, though, it’s my least favorite “clean” track. Wouldn’t it be great to hear “Bid you Farewell” with Mikael’s latest, much-improved singing voice? And, ultimately, if I were king of the world, they would have played “Melinda” here.

7. Bleak: The main riff sounded more straight metal and less atmospheric. It’s great to hear Blackwater Park songs live, stripped down and played more dynamically (though I love the thick, layered album versions too.)

8. Fair Judgment: Beautiful. At end of song, at the last line, Mikael turns the mic to the crowd to sing the final “here.” Perfect closing to show. As several times before, all hands in the air.

9. Demons of the Fall: Tore the roof off. The perfect ending. One of the most monstrous death metal pieces ever conceived by humankind.

I must also praise the Palladium’s sound; we stood right behind the sound desk. I’ve heard plenty of shit sound systems, and shit this was not. And it’s not just Opeth’s gear enhancing the sound; I saw Dio there recently and they sounded perfect too, as mighty as a mighty elf could be. The only criticism I would make is that sometimes the leads & solos, especially Peter’s, were drowned out in the din.

Greetings...

DAMN! That's one word to describe the menacing wall of sound that is Opeth live, and also to describe how I forgot they played Godheads Lament. One too many drinks maybe. I completely agree with the above review, though I happen to feel that the Deliverance material sounded better than he thought, very tight
for such long songs (especially considering it's the newest material).

I was shocked to see that many people packed into the show. It was a crowd that you would see for any other "bigger" band and I wouldn't be surprised if it was/is confirmed that it was sold out.

Everywhere you went, from the bar, to the shirts table, near the pit, by the sound board, FANS! It was phenomenal. And girls too. I was very happy with the female turnout. A friend of mine was wondering about the girl factor at most shows and I was pretty much like "yeah theres usually 2 to every 343 metal guys."

Saturday night proved me wrong, there were girls everywhere, too bad I was more interested in watching the amazing band performing and having drinks. Next time.

Anyways, back to the band, I was thoroughly impressed with the monstorous Opeth who thrashed and crushed through a varied set (One that should've left Credence for April Ethereal or The Night and The Still Water!) I'm not going to complain though because there's really no need to. I first saw them at the NE MetalFest in 2001 and there set (as usual at these) was criminally
short, it was great to have them be able to "let their death down" and coast through some vintage Opeth.

Here's hoping they return many times, and judging by the turnout at Saturday's night of amazement, they with any hope/luck will be.

Thanks again guys, and yes I bought a Deliverance shirt which Im wearing at work now hehe, gotta support the band :D

So next time, how about Porcupine Tree Headlining?

*Applauds himself for the great idea and exits..*

-Mike

Err Lemme see...Yes its the album cover..but "deliverance" is centered and appears larger..
And the back is the "lady in the window" like on the album..

Very cool and dark looking...I grabbed it since I already got the big "Opeth" in white
on a black shirt at the MetalFest and was looking for something different. Im very pleased
with the artwork and also with knowing that the overpriced shirt's money went hopefully
directly to the band :)

Underneath the Waves huh? good song man..you know good music..already heard the new self titled SYL...

lets just say, falling in line with the album's lyrical content, you will be blown away..hehe

take it easy people..and spread peace..

-Mike

thanks man, good to know.. sounds like something I'd love to wear, I'll have to plan on bringing enough extra $$ for a shirt :D

ah.. the new SYL ... yes I have heard it too, and I have to say it is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time, nothing can compare to it..

<---- obsessed with the music of devin townsend... :D

Cool man...

<-- also obsessed with Devin T.

He's my favorite artist actually, ever.

*prepares to have things thrown at him for talking about other artists on an O forum...*

hehe

Ocean Machine is my fav. album and I love everything else he's done. Though have you seen his video for that Steve Vai album?
I bet he regrets that. hehe. Anyways, everyone was rather cheesy in the 90s.

Nonetheless! Are you going to see SYL when they come around on this tour? Theyre playing with Nile/The Berzerker/Dark Tranquility/Napalm Death. Besides Opeth, this sounds like it will be show of the year too.

hehe Ill see you in Worcester :p

Back to the SYL, I love the new cd too. Many people have been skeptical about it, but I think that's because there's alot more influence in the material this time (Jed does all guitars, Gene wrote the drums), whereas City was mainly a Devin Brainchild.

Brainchild. Interesting. Anyways, Relelentless, Aftermath, Bring on the Young, Last Minute, Force Fed, Conseq...Practically all the songs are masterpieces..

Let's hope more find the well of musical wonder that is Devin soon

hehe

later!

-Mike

yea.. not to go off on non-opeth stuff here ;) .. but..

Steve Vai - sex & Religion, I was a big vai freak back in my younger days (not all that long ago, lol), and used to listen to that album all the time. it was my favorite of his stuff. and nowadays I believe its very possibly due to the presence of devy, whom I didn't know anything about until I happened to stumble upon Ocean machine a few years ago, and which immediately became just about my favorite album of all time. :D But back to the Vai stuff.. theres a video?? haha, I'll have to hunt that thing down .. I can imagine it being quite cheesy!! :lol:

oh I wouldnt miss that SYL show.. I'm so looking forward to that. I'm gonna be at the one closer to me.. in springfield, VA.

and the new album.. it took me numerous listens to really get a feel for it, the first few times I was just " oh yea, this is great.. but its missing something... its no City" .. and then I listened some more, and I started really feeling the emotions.. its an intense album.. yet I always find the music so beautiful too
in my opinion.. its SYL at their best yet.

I noticed I grabbed onto the songs 1 by 1.. first Aftermath, loved it, better than the rest.. then force fed jumped out at me, I think rape song took me the longest to appreciate, dunno why.. but now i love them all.. every second of the album is pure bliss :lol:

have you heard the one track Devin posted on mp3.com from his next solo album? got kinda an ocean machine feel to it, maybe mixed with a little bit o' Infinity.. I'm eagerly awaiting that album as well :D

-derick

Yeah I know what you mean about the new one...the way to look at it is with new eyes though..new album, new influences, new tour...forget city..that was city..no one will ever top it..no reason to either..I like the "Storm" song too though his vocals
at the end get kinda screechy.

I agree though, SYL takes a bit too get into, but once you know it you fucking love it. Force Fed, Last Minute, all of them..

There's a video for "In my dreams with you" that is pretty damn funny, but you have to forgive Devin though since he was about 19 when he did it. Hehe. Yeah theyre all like in no shirts, having paint thrown on them in all slow motion.

I put it on once to see it, and you have no idea how many ppl ripped on it..heheh

anyways..thats old..time for the new! I cant wait for the new DTB cd either..

sounds like we're into the same tastes man..Cool!

I was in VA in may of 2002, very cool state. Stayed at VA beach, Saw the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, went hiking in a official VA hiking spot, went to busch gardens, saw the Luray Caverns..among a few other interesting things..hehe ;)

We didnt want to leave hehe..much has changed though..that ex is now in Denver! hehe anyways..VA kicks ass nonetheless..

-Mike

As with my thread and other comments about this show - I'd say we are all in agreement that "The Mighty" Opeth (as they were referred to several times by the other bands) are indeed mighty and awe inspiring on stage.

Whether you wanted one song replaced with another (I would love to hear The Funeral Portrait live), one just can not complain.

And I was pleasantly surprised that Opeth has a much larger following than I anticipated. The Palladium was as packed as it was for Slayer.

Regarding girls at the show -- yes, there were more than expected, and there were quite a few couples snuggled together or swaying. Metal couples, goth couples, and just regular music fan couples. Makes sense if you think about it -- most fans have an intimate relationship to Opeth 'casue it's such deep "listening" music, and it has a strong "romantic" mood in a way. I bet man couples listen to Opeth together. Do they make out to Still Life or Orchid? :)

I can't wait for February..:)...the new SYL is so fucking amazing, seriously..they need to have Nile sacrifice some set time hehe...come on now! Nile plays all the time!

Thats mean to say I know but whatever, with songs like
"Relentless," "Aftermath," "Force Fed," "All Hail.." left out of the set, it's like being at chinese buffet and finding out there's no peking raviolis.

Your happy you have the other food, just wish you had those others to top it off :)

"we'll find a way force fed to the wooooorrllld..."