My Thoughts On The Worcester MA Show

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
My emotional tears welled up during The Drapery Falls, just like I thought they would. And Opeth's music live is as mesmerizing (well, maybe even more) as listening to them at home. They are simply an amazing band creating breathtaking metal music. It seemed like they just jumped out of my CD player and up onto the stage. I've been to the Palladium many times, and what made me real happy was the crowd was as packed as it was for Slayer - the most packed I have seen of any show. Opeth really does have a much larger following than I originally thought. The mood changes in their songs performed live just froze me in my tracks. They translated what I've been listening to on their CD's to the live performance flawlessly. When they played Deliverance, and then played The Drapery Falls - you could of basically stuck a fork into me because I was done. I felt I had just witnessed the pinnacle of any concert experience I had ever been in, and I've been to a lot of shows over the years. Advent, Bleak, The Demon Of The Fall (a phenominal encore)..........what more can I say? I just shook my head in amazement when the show was over. And there was plenty of moshing and crowd surfing, which Mikael and the boys seemed to enjoy.

They added a fourth local band, Beyond The Embrace to open the show, which I actually thought was the 2nd best act of the night. There was a decent energy level when these guys played.

Tapping The Vein was interesting - the female lead vocalist had a really nice voice, and they used some sort of electronic drum machine along with the drums, which made for an interesting and full live sound - clean and sonic. But the crowd just wasn't into them. The energy level of the crowd practically disappeared.

In my opinion, Paradise Lost was just plain boring, and I think a packed house just standing around with their hands in their pockets (well, not really) proved that. The energy level of the crowd stayed away for them too. I thought the lead singers voice had no range, and was just too plain to be any good. (Hope I don't offend any Paradise Lost fans :p )

What made the show fun for me too was taking my son (19), my nephew (17), my daughter (17), and her friend (17). My wife fell ill, and she was totally pissed that she just couldn't go - she had a excruciating migraine on top of her generally lousy feeling. :( But the fact that the show started a little after 7:30PM, and Opeth's last song ended at 12:40AM made for a five hour concert experience - beginning with a 30 minute wait outside in zero degree weather. I was SO happy that Opeth performed for an hour and fourty minutes.

Honestly, if I never went to another concert again, it wouldn't matter. To see a band live when they are your favorite band currently, and to see what you consider your favorite song of all time to date (The Drapery Falls), seems like I had reached a height that can't be eclipsed. I felt like Rocky on top of those stairs.

I feel drained this morning - but it's a great feeling.

Alright, well if I've ever read a fitting tribute to a band's live show, then this has gotta take the cake. Glad you enjoyed yourself, and you just made the wait till April seem all that much longer for me, haha...

!!!! Yes !!!! :eek:)))

If anyone "deserved" to see Opeth live, it was you
metalman, as you couldn't go last time! :eek:) I'm really glad
you enjoyed them so much, and you're right; Seeing the
band when it is your favourite one is the ultimate thing!
It's mindblowing!

Again; I'm really glad for you! :eek:))

I was there also, it was ridiculous. I honestly can't think of an adjective to describe how amazing Opeth was. If anyone wants to hear me rave about the show, and hear the setlist, or just has a question about how it was, feel free to IM me at Opeth783. Anyways, I thought the first band was cool, they had a kind of Iron Maiden feel to them, pretty good stuff. Tapping The Vein was plain awful, the woman had a nice voice, but they basically sounded like a cheap Garbage ripoff. Every song had the exact same structure, was really boring. Paradise Lost was equally boring, to the point where the singer kept asking the crowd why they didn't seem warmed up, finally some guy threw a cup at him and he shut up. It didn't help that he said "peeps" either, I wasn't aware I was at an N'Sync concert;) Anyways, I hope to god they go on another full tour this summer, maybe we'll get lucky and get an evening with Opeth, a 3 hour setlist:)

The Worcester, MA show was awesome. Here is a quick breakdown:

The opening local act from Massachussetts (not exactly sure which town) Beyond the Embrace was a pleasant surprise. I thought that I was witnessing In Flames! They had 3 guitar players which traded off solos and lots of dual harmony guitar stuff "a la Iron Maiden", good drumming and good vocals. Good hard metal. This band should replace Paradise Lost and go on the remainder of the tour with Opeth. Tapping the Vein was pretty good but not enough variation in their music. The guitar player just played the same stuff and did not explore too many other areas. The female lead singer was good (and sexy) and if it wasn't for her presence in the band, they would just be plain boring. Paradise Lost was a big disappointment. Their music did not do anything for me and was very boring. Same droning beat, boring guitar playing, and snooty British attitute (kind of like the Oasis boys if you know what I mean). In my opinion, the lead singer demonstrated that stereotypical "British snooty" attitude like we are "British" and you guys are just simple Americans. He just seemed to posess that arrogant quality about him. He constantly turned his back to the crowd (WTF? What's up with that? Are you that bored with playing in the US already?). I just dont think that they should have been on the bill and if they were to be replaced, then the show would be better because I (and a lot of other people) wanted them to get the F**K off the stage so we could get to Opeth sooner! Anyway, I probably should not be so harsh and I don't want to come across as being anti-british (I love British bands) but Paradise Lost was basically lost like their name implies and should not have been on the bill.
Now as for Opeth? Well, it is my second time seeing them at the Palladium and they were fantastic! They seemed to have matured by leaps and bounds in the sense that now they are a headlining act and they just had such a HUGE presence! The crowd absolutely adored them and they were such gentlemen! They respected and adored the fans and were just a superb class act! Their performace was top notch, their equipment was beautiful and they just blew the place away. Their populariy has grown tremedously (as witnessed by the huge crowd, massive beautiful tourbus, big road crew which set up and scrutinized their pristine equipment, very nice "classy stage setup" and excellent sound mixing). Just a class act all the way. I was curious about their setlist after having seen what the Montreal show was like. I was wondering if they would change a song here or there but they played the same setlist as they did for the Montreal show (which is not a problem because I love the setlilst!), but I was just wondering if they would throw in a little change. Finally the shirts and merchandise they were selling were VERY nice! I bought a black shirt with the traditional Opeth logo and a "Look Your Last Upon the Sun" quote on the back. Very simple but classy shirt. The other shirts and hooded sweatshirts were very nice too. Be prepared to spend some dough though. $25 per t-shirt, $30 for long sleeve and $45 for swatshirt. They are worth it though. Good quality and very classy. Anyway, now that I've watered everyone's appetite, for everyone who's in line to see them soon, youre in for a Hell of a show! Be prepared to be blown away!!!

Originally posted by ddicosmo
... Finally the shirts and merchandise they were selling were VERY nice! I bought a black shirt with the traditional Opeth logo and a "Look Your Last Upon the Sun" quote on the back. Very simple but classy shirt. The other shirts and hooded sweatshirts were very nice too. Be prepared to spend some dough though. $25 per t-shirt, $30 for long sleeve and $45 for swatshirt. They are worth it though. Good quality and very classy. Anyway, now that I've watered everyone's appetite, for everyone who's in line to see them soon, youre in for a Hell of a show! Be prepared to be blown away!!!

I purchased the Opeth/Deliverance black hoodie.

It's looking like us who were there saw the same things with the other bands. I truely wish Paradise Lost setlist would be shortened, and Opeth given more time. I'm not complaining in the least - but I hate seeing the energy sapped out of the crowd before the main act comes on.

Great reviews, so far.

I'm actually going tonight, to the NY show! However, I just cant wait to see Paradise Lost either! They've been among my fav bands now for about 8 years. True, they're not a good "match" to tour with Opeth (My Dying Bride would have been a much better 'choice') but they make great music, nonetheless.

I cant wait!!!!!!!

Yeah Beyond the Embrace kicked major ass. They obviously loved Opeth too. (MORNING IN MAGENTA is from Prologe and the name of the band is taken from April Ethereal) It was good that they didn't sound like Opeth though. I actually liked tapping the vein better then Paradise lost. All their songs sounded the same. But I would have been most happy with just a Beyond the Embrace/Opeth show :) ANyway the highlight of the show for me was Advent. Not my favorite Opeth song but it was just SO GOOD live! On question, at one point Mike whispered something and then said "sorry, I just had to say it!" What was it that he said? I'm afraid I didn't stand out enough for anyone to recognize me from a description now but I'm sure I could recognize some of you from descriptions :)

Originally posted by Poison Godmachine
On question, at one point Mike whispered something and then said "sorry, I just had to say it!" What was it that he said? I'm afraid I didn't stand out enough for anyone to recognize me from a description now but I'm sure I could recognize some of you from descriptions :)

"Master Apprentice" - that's what he said

Damn, we were late and missed the first 2 bands. Sounds like Beyond the Embrace was worth it. IMO Paradise Lost were okay at best; a couple songs were mildly catchy and the keyboard effects sometimes worked, but the singer didn't have enough of a voice or charisma and the band too plain. But it's not so much that they sucked, but they weren't a good match for a metal crowd, who aren't necessarily impressed with their alternative rock & goth influences. You've got to have sympathy for a band opening for one of the hottest metal bands in the world.

It was heartening to see that so many people were there for Opeth. Needless to say, if you're reading this, you NEED to catch this tour; they are on the rise and sound as tight and dynamic as you could dream. It was my first time seeing them, and I was genuinely blown away by how good they are live. I had some concerns they might be more a studio band and little too reserved or technical or nervous on stage. But they're the real thing, no doubt. What more can be said, really? Brilliant all around.

I posted this in another thread before I saw this one was started. I was about 10 feet from the stage for most of the show, up until about half way through Opeth. My wife is only 5 feet tall and I was having trouble keeping her able to see and unsquished once they came out and everyone went nuts. They sounded better further back, too. Tapping the Vein was annoying and even Paradise were boring, but I think whoever threw the trash on the stage at them went a little too far.
Opeth ROCKED!! The energy in the crowd when they walked on the stage was so intense. fuck, i need to get out more.. Nile is in 3 weeks...

-iz

Tapping The Vein was interesting - the female lead vocalist had a really nice voice, and they used some sort of electronic drum machine along with the drums, which made for an interesting and full live sound - clean and sonic. But the crowd just wasn't into them. The energy level of the crowd practically disappeared.

Uhhh...it was JUST a drum machine. They didn't have a drummer. I personally couldn't stand it. But since I've been through worse bands :):coughKING'SXcough::), I figured I wouldn't shout obscenities or anything, and just talk to people.

And as for Paradise Lost, the problem was that they played too much new stuff. If they played some of their older, somewhat more aggressive stuff, it would've went over better (Rotting Misery, anyone?) And they didn't even play Embers Fire...those bastards. :mad:

Originally posted by metalmancpa
And there was plenty of moshing and crowd surfing, which Mikael and the boys seemed to enjoy.
I'm kinda disappointed about this, because it means those of us who actually know the music so personally can't enjoy it up close without constantly fearing a kick in the head. :mad: Jaxx, where I'll be seeing them, is a pretty small club, so if you want a center-stage view, you have to stand right in what eventually becomes the mosh pit. Fuckers. :bah:

Honestly, if I never went to another concert again, it wouldn't matter. To see a band live when they are your favorite band currently, and to see what you consider your favorite song of all time to date (The Drapery Falls), seems like I had reached a height that can't be eclipsed.
That's what I felt like after seeing them at the Milwaukee Metalfest, when they opened with Moonlapse Vertigo, which was my favorite song at the time. :)

You know, I feel like these kinds of threads are both a blessing and a curse. That's GREAT that the overall concensus is that Opeth is putting on one HELL of a show...I had no doubts about that since I have seen them before...however is saddens me that Paradise Lost is getting the thumbs down. I hate to read this kind of thing and go to the show with a preconceived notion. I am a Paradise Lost fan and have been VERY MUCH looking forward to getting to see them live. I guess I will suck it up and judge for myself, which I always do. Thanks for the reviews guys!:)

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Honestly, I think he liked the evil way in which he said it :D

actually what happened is that some guy in the front on the right side screamed for Master's Aprentices with this weird accent, and Michael just picked up on it... he then said "Master's Apprentices" to the microphone with this "mad scientist" accent and continued "I alwasy wanted to say that".. it was a good laugh,, and a great show! Worth the 3.5 hours drive each way.... now i gotta be off to the NYC show muahahaaa

sfarog

I had hoped to meet some of the people from the board, and I knew that metalmancpa was bringing the whole family, but there were several candidates. Oh well, maybe next time. It was a great show, aside from standing in the cold for two hours before the show, with two other people who were as crazy as my friend and I, (getting there so early just to stand there).