Fri May-16 Worcester, MA The Palladium

The Moor

Still Life
May 17, 2003
Visit site
yet another great performance by Opeth. it seems they like playing in worcester, mike actually responded to me and my friend up in the balcany as we were screaming out random songs. he said "i hope everybody is enjoying this, especial you guys up in the balcany" i'm glad he said that, it makes me respect and honor opeth that much more. i'm surprised nothing was played from damnation, but it was a "hardcore metal" fest, oh well, i also noticed the track list they played was identical to the last time they played here. still, it was nothing less than an amazing performance by Opeth.

-Tim

Nugent Goes AOL said:
That was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to.

Palladium = worst venue in the history of music.

point being Opeth enjoyed playing there, and they played very well.

illbeleavinnow said:
That was YOU who he shouted to?? :-O That's awesome!

I was all the way in the back... :(

were you seated at the back of the balcany? i was sitting in the back closest to the orange hallway.

Nugent Goes AOL said:
That was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to.

Palladium = worst venue in the history of music.

I beg to differ about The Palladium.

For the types of bands that go there (underground), it's a great place. I've been to much worse places, like Jarrod's in Attleboro.

As a concert, I generally hate the millions of bands in a day style. Bands like Lacuna Coil only get to play five songs. They all seem rushed, and you as a listener don't get the chance to "get" into' the band.

The Moor said:
yet another great performance by Opeth. it seems they like playing in worcester, mike actually responded to me and my friend up in the balcany as we were screaming out random songs. he said "i hope everybody is enjoying this, especial you guys up in the balcany" i'm glad he said that, it makes me respect and honor opeth that much more. i'm surprised nothing was played from damnation, but it was a "hardcore metal" fest, oh well, i also noticed the track list they played was identical to the last time they played here. still, it was nothing less than an amazing performance by Opeth.

-Tim

Tim,

Mikael actually gave his reason for not playing any tracks from Damnation. He stated that even though Damnation was out, they weren't going to play any tracks from it. He said they were saving it for the official Damnation tour with Porcupine Tree this summer.

And yes, Opeth put on an amazing show. It was just as good, though a tad shorter, then the January show at The Palladium.

metalmancpa said:
I beg to differ about The Palladium.

For the types of bands that go there (underground), it's a great place. I've been to much worse places, like Jarrod's in Attleboro.

As a concert, I generally hate the millions of bands in a day style. Bands like Lacuna Coil only get to play five songs. They all seem rushed, and you as a listener don't get the chance to "get" into' the band.
I'd hardly call any band that plays a place that big "underground."

And as for this "Jarrod's" place, if it really IS worse than the Palladium, I'll make sure to add it to my list of places to never go (right next to Tel Aviv and Hell).

Nugent Goes AOL said:
I'd hardly call any band that plays a place that big "underground."

And as for this "Jarrod's" place, if it really IS worse than the Palladium, I'll make sure to add it to my list of places to never go (right next to Tel Aviv and Hell).

The entire Metalfest was underground bands if you really think about it.

metalmancpa said:
The entire Metalfest was underground bands if you really think about it.
Festivals are exceptions, because lots of small bands can play together to create a relatively huge bill (like this weekend). You said:

"For the types of bands that go there (underground), it's a great place."

That implies that it is a venue for primarily underground bands, a statement to which I would disagree.

Dammit people I gave you the setlist in my own post about it. :lol: *tries to steal more glory*

OK it was

The Leper Affinity
The Moor? (not sure about this one, I forgot =/)
Advent
Deliverance
Godhead's Lament
The Drapery Falls
A Fair Judgment
Demon of the Fall (encore)

They left the stage after A Fair Judgment and the crowd chanted "OPETH OPETH" for some 5 minutes and they came back. :)

Not sure about the order, I'm sorry people.

I have been there with other bands playing, and usually the sound is a bit better. What can you do though. I live in New Hampshire, and that is the only place around that I know of which has real metal venues. Beggars can't be choosers, lol.

metalmancpa said:
Tim,

Mikael actually gave his reason for not playing any tracks from Damnation. He stated that even though Damnation was out, they weren't going to play any tracks from it. He said they were saving it for the official Damnation tour with Porcupine Tree this summer.

And yes, Opeth put on an amazing show. It was just as good, though a tad shorter, then the January show at The Palladium.

oh ok, that's a good reason. I was hoping for "Hope Leaves" ;)

whoever said the place is to big for underground bands to headline ,,

in a way that is sorta true, but! its usually the only spot a underground band will play in all of New England, so everyone drives from that territory to see a show and thats why even when Opeth does a solo headline show there they will pack the floor. even Nile got good amount on floor in february.

MetalFest was crowded of course cause everyone in america came out.