Quintessential metal album

Well now, people are being a little bit picky here. Im sure many would argue that OM was not "metal" either so I didnt realize I was off any beaten path with I&W which was quite heavy in many places and was most definantly progressive heavy metal. The vocals were good too, excellent in some areas. Then we were talking about some life form that made it all the way here from some other galaxy, I would not expect that level of advanced intellegence to be impressed with any metal band........ even DT but at least I reached for an intellectually impressive as well as diverse piece of work.

Bare in mind I have no problem with most of the metal albums chosen here for my personal listening as there apparently appears to be with my choice. So fuck yea, this was great fun.

Now if you want to impress a Neanderthal, Im sure And Justice for All would do the trick, but count on my leaving the room.

Well now, people are being a little bit picky here. Im sure many would argue that OM was not "metal" either so I didnt realize I was off any beaten path with I&W which was quite heavy in many places and was most definantly progressive heavy metal. The vocals were good too, excellent in some areas. Then we were talking about some life form that made it all the way here from some other galaxy, I would not expect that level of advanced intellegence to be impressed with any metal band........ even DT but at least I reached for an intellectually impressive as well as diverse piece of work.

Bare in mind I have no problem with most of the metal albums chosen here for my personal listening as there apparently appears to be with my choice. So fuck yea, this was great fun.

Now if you want to impress a Neanderthal, Im sure And Justice for All would do the trick, but count on my leaving the room.

who is OM?

Our local FM radio station, back in the 80's, had a program I cant remember what it was called, that ran every Sat night from 11:00 till ?. In addition to Thrash they played alot of heavy metal that was alot like early Fates Warning, I wasnt into it myself, but now I sit and think back and wish I knew some names of the bands. I'm thinking that was a form of underground extreme heavy metal that was a trend in those times, kind of like there is some real radical stuff today. It was different from thrash but extreme in its own way. So maybe thats what it was all about, being extreme. Anyone remember what Blacksmith sounded like ? Im wondering if they were'nt another example of this, I only heard them once. The only band I have stumbled across that reminds me of this sound is Watchtower. The first DT album When Dream and Day Unite had some of the characteristics as well. My buddy that recently died would be able to recite me a list, he was into all that extreme, bizarre stuff. Listening back now I find it interesting at a curiousity level but will always prefer more grounded music.

Our local FM radio station, back in the 80's, had a program I cant remember what it was called, that ran every Sat night from 11:00 till ?. In addition to Thrash they played alot of heavy metal that was alot like early Fates Warning, I wasnt into it myself, but now I sit and think back and wish I knew some names of the bands. I'm thinking that was a form of underground extreme heavy metal that was a trend in those times, kind of like there is some real radical stuff today. It was different from thrash but extreme in its own way. So maybe thats what it was all about, being extreme. Anyone remember what Blacksmith sounded like ? Im wondering if they were'nt another example of this, I only heard them once. The only band I have stumbled across that reminds me of this sound is Watchtower. The first DT album When Dream and Day Unite had some of the characteristics as well. My buddy that recently died would be able to recite me a list, he was into all that extreme, bizarre stuff. Listening back now I find it interesting at a curiousity level but will always prefer more grounded music.

I also never found them particularly "progressive"...unless always having crappy singers who sing flat and meandering compositions is progressive. Parallels seems to me to be the only rock solid release...it may be a bit more accessible, but that's not always a bad thing.

First time listen:
Ozzy 'Speak of the Devil'
Metallica 'Master of puppets'
Megadeth 'Peace sells'
Testament 'Practice'
Slayer 'Reign in blood' = they go and don't come back:lol:

^ at least your taste in music is a far improvement over your taste in autos. ;)

And I don't really think Operation Mindcrime is a great "metal" album. It's an awesome album, but I wouldn't call it the epitome of "metal".

Yeah, definitely. But if I was to pick one or two albums representive of the genre, I wouldn't pick Operation: Mindcrime. Though I absolutely love the album, I even traveled around Texas to see multiple performances of it on the Building Empires tour, I wouldn't call it the absolute for heavy metal.

However its far more impressive than the absolute extreme examples of "heavy metal". I mean theres stuff out there I wouldnt recommend to my enemies........ well maybe.........

Yeah, definitely. But if I was to pick one or two albums representive of the genre, I wouldn't pick Operation: Mindcrime. Though I absolutely love the album, I even traveled around Texas to see multiple performances of it on the Building Empires tour, I wouldn't call it the absolute for heavy metal.

I think it would be a great starting point for anyone who has never been introduced to metal. It's heavy at times, great riffs, nice guitar work, melodic, inventive and accessible.

With me this is a coincidental truth.... O:M is how I was turned on to Queensryche and it set my path toward more thoughtful metal

The Number of the Beast was my starter, then Piece of Mind and seeing the World Piece Tour with Saxon and Fastway. I was hooked.

"Take Hold of the Flame" was my start on Queensryche, as many other oldies, probably. I'm not knocking Operation: Mindcrime at all - I love the album; but, it's not "quintessential metal" to me.

I would say Children of Bod.... Nah just kiddin'! :lol:

Seriously I would maybe recommend Black Sabbath's Paranoid (album)

Or maybe Sabbath Bloody Sabbath? The title-named song has one of the heaviest riffs ever! Not the one in the beginning though