Quite possibly the worst thing I've ever seen.

The only problem I really have with CoF is the vocals. They're just so unpleasant, in a bad way.

Trve? I said in this thread that I wanted to check the band out after watching a bunch of videos and kept seeing that vid in the suggestions box and read that they were black metal, and honestly nothing in that video would make me ever want to check out anything else by them, I mean come on if its the WORST thing I've ever seen its pretty obvious I have no desire what shitfest albums they put out

You went in expecting black metal. CoF isn't black metal. If I hand you Skittles and tell you they're M&Ms that's gonna piss you off when you eat a couple but don't start squealing about how Skittles taste like shit because they aren't chocolate.

Secondly, again, that's a live video from considerably after Dani's voice started to go and he got all fat and weird. If you want to say the band sucks, at least check out studio recordings of their best material first. Otherwise you look like a dumbass, dumbass.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem I really have with CoF is the vocals. They're just so unpleasant, in a bad way.

They're definitely odd. I mean, they're not Silencer-level difficult to get into, but hearing those freakishly high notes can be off putting for some people.

WERE a black metal band. :p

Great contribution!!! Actually repeating what I said but with a word in caps. Good work dude! :erk:

It's not so much in the sound, it's more in their attitude on stage, and those ugly multicolored dreadlocks on the volcalist. Now, I'm not overly familiar with CoF, but I'm sure whatever music they created before this was conciderably more black metal than that crap they produced in that live clip.

I dunno but I never seen many nu-metalbands that has the CoF look.

Everything that has to do with (true) black metal and grim makeup is ridiculous, so why suprised? CoF main problem was always the horrible vocals. With another frontman I might have enjoyed the band much more for sure. They have some nice speedy riffing parts here and there and early stuff is very atmospheric, other then that..let the chubby goth chicks droll over it. Still, JESUS IS A CUNT!

CoF have always been a mix of goth and black metal, both musically and aesthetically. For some reason there's a lot of hate directed at them, my guess is because they were marketed as black metal despite not being 100% black metal and then got popular, so clearly they're posers. Their first couple are great. My understanding is that they released a couple stinkers but that their last few have been significantly improved. I certainly don't see any reason to hate the band. Yes, that live show is unimpressive. How many black metal bands are known for their life performances?

I like Cradle of Filth. OP tried to jump on the hate CoF bandwagon just cuz it exists, not due to any actual itnerest to decide for himself. Also, I grow so weary of seeing the new members constantly break down what genre a band is in. "I read that they were melodeath, but to me sound more symphonic black" and such. That irks me for reasons.

CoF get way too much hate. As opposed to overrated, I would say they are overhated (my apologies, I'm a little high). Apparently they turned into shit around Nymphetamine (I stopped listening to them after Midian, even though that one was mostly good), but like others are saying, their first two albums and the first EP (VEmpire) are very good (especially the second album, Dusk and Her Embrace). The third album (I believe), Cruelty and the Beast, I found a little overwrought even for Cradle of Filth, but Midian kept things simple and catchy, although much of the atmosphere of their earlier work was disappearing.

CoF have always been a mix of goth and black metal, both musically and aesthetically. For some reason there's a lot of hate directed at them, my guess is because they were marketed as black metal despite not being 100% black metal and then got popular, so clearly they're posers. Their first couple are great. My understanding is that they released a couple stinkers but that their last few have been significantly improved. I certainly don't see any reason to hate the band. Yes, that live show is unimpressive. How many black metal bands are known for their life performances?

I like Cradle of Filth. OP tried to jump on the hate CoF bandwagon just cuz it exists, not due to any actual itnerest to decide for himself. Also, I grow so weary of seeing the new members constantly break down what genre a band is in. "I read that they were melodeath, but to me sound more symphonic black" and such. That irks me for reasons.

CoF get way too much hate. As opposed to overrated, I would say they are overhated (my apologies, I'm a little high). Apparently they turned into shit around Nymphetamine (I stopped listening to them after Midian, even though that one was mostly good), but like others are saying, their first two albums and the first EP (VEmpire) are very good (especially the second album, Dusk and Her Embrace). The third album (I believe), Cruelty and the Beast, I found a little overwrought even for Cradle of Filth, but Midian kept things simple and catchy, although much of the atmosphere of their earlier work was disappearing.

QFT

Since we're talking about "true" black metal, I'm having a hard time making my mind up here, is this "true" black metal or just ridiculous?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWr1NM-KNv4

The video might be a bit cheap but the music itself it's excellent. About Arckanum, the whole discography is great, especially what came after Fran Marder (Kostogher, Kampen and ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ being my personal favs).

I always get bored after few Arckanum songs, ESPECIALLY the new ones.

EDIT: The early shit is epic etc etc.

I don't understand how Cradle of Filth is somehow less black metal than what people are listening to and calling black metal these days.

At least move around the stage a little....also BM should never be played during the day. Is Download festival one of the more mainstream rock festivals no? But what i'm wondering is how that chick in his sig was able not to gag:eek:
TBH i never even bothered listening to their early albums since they sucked so much.
Everything that has to do with (true) black metal and grim makeup is ridiculous
No