Quoting...

|ngenius

Little Grasshopper
Nov 16, 2001
Barcelona
Visit site
Yes, readers, I'm back once again to spam over and over, so beware this new brand thread!! On this thread you can quote your favourite movies, your predilect lyrics, your best lapidary sentences from those books that robbed your heart. In memory of FatherVic, the Futurama quoter, may he re... live in peace. :)

Now Quoting... YES!!! Futurama.

Professor: "If you kill your grandfather, you'll cease to exist"
Fry: "But existing is basically what I do!"

|ngenius (Ahhh...)

Reactions: witch
:hotjump: i like this thread :Spin:
*mumble* let's see...
now quoting: jewel - till we run out of road

we're leaving, we're leaving again
can't recall where all we've been
guess we'll just go
go till we're too old
or we run out of road

|ng.. we love you even for this :)

:worship:
from "the green mile" by Stephen King

P: On the day of my judgement, when I stand before God, and He asks me why did I kill one of his true
miracles, what am I gonna say? That is was my job? My job?
J: You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughtta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do. I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me
where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other.
I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world ever' day.
There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?

/witch

Ingeniouuuuuuuuuus!!!! this thread will be my perdition!!!!!!

because quoting is basically what i do!

and my first contribution to this thread is wonderful reaction towards a friend by Leela, our little friend who stands to reason:
"Fry, I see you can listen to reason, so I will have to listen to idioticness"

and another from my literature god, Pratchett:
"Death is Nature's way to tell you to slow down!"

tons and thousands to come...

@witch: nice quote!!!! sometimes, i'm also tired!

fathervic (living la quote loca!)

Regarding witch's quote, today is not the right day to comment it, because I'm also quite tired of the very same thing concerning people. I'm tired of doing my best towards everyone on my way to end up pissed totally off. Alright, alright, stop talking about that!!! Tomorrow will be another day...

Quote of today:

"Loving you is like breathing spring" (from Journey's "Loved By You", a refreshing sentence, imo)

|ngenius (Another lost battle, but forging ahead!)

battles are not lost or won, simply battled. However i never considered it as a battle but just some kind of guide tour through the tides of life...that keeps the anxiety out of the way...cause afterall, anxiety makes them harder to be won!

and to make clear my actual feelings!!...another quote from fry

"Man, it's hot! How hot is it? It's so hot, I poured McDonalds coffee in my lap to cool off!"

fathervic (globa wobba?)

very nice one witch :)

wonderful thread!! :hotjump:

My first contribution shall be the following quote from terry pratchett's "Mort"... In this book DEATH gets himself an apprentice,a rather awkward boy called Mort...One of Mort's first tasks is to clean the stables (imagine the stench in there!!!!!!).So,here is a wonderful qote related to that incident:
" Some jobs offer increments. This one offered-well, quitre the reverse...."

what a cool wordplay with increment-excrement :lol:

next time i hope i will come up wioth a Futurama quote :)

Melancholia said:
" Some jobs offer increments. This one offered-well, quitre the reverse...."

:hotjump: that sentence made me laugh a LOT...and the problem is that Pratchett seems to write his books jumping from memorable quotes to astonishing wordplays...ah, the master!

well these come from the book Eric, which is a quote of nearly 200 pages...

(this goes when the reach a beach in the beginning of time and life)

- "What shall I do?"
- "Well, if you see anything crawl out of the sea and try to breathe,
you could try telling it not to bother."

and now two little jokes that will always keep my sanity on the edge!

- "There's a door"
- "Where does it go?"
- "It stays where it is, I think."

and

- "What're quantum mechanics?"
- "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."

i simply adore the man!!!!!!!!!!

FatherVic ("Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind.")

I think there's a troll studying spanish, so this will be a hard but beautiful lesson. Spanish masters of humour:

Today: Miguel Gila, my personal idol.

(A phone call, Gila always used an old black telephone as a part of his shows)

"¿Son los Estados Unidos? ¿Está el encargao? Que se ponga". :lol:

"Estábamos en la guerra, y un día se me presentó la família, la mujer y los niños. El pequeño se comió una bala, y cuando lo llevamos al médico, nos dijo que no pasaba nada, pero que no apuntásemos a nadie con el niño" :D

|ngenius (Gila was the best!!)

Ingy :) no estoy 100% segura si lo he cogido o no.... :erk: but hey,humour in other languages is veeeeery difficult hmmmm

Peponaki :) all hail terry!!!!!!!! :Spin: You're right,Eric is not a book,it's a quote!!! I've once tried to quote some stuff,but ended up giving up....

soooooooooooooooo,my head is spinning,i have to read a 41 pages long project and do corrections,add some few stuff blah blah...so i guess a nice break would do :)
Here are some funny quotes from Pratchett's first discworld book:

*"Tourist, Rincewind had decided, meant idiot" i love this one :D

*Dialogue between Rincewind
0235.gif
and Twoflower
0261.gif
:
"Don't you get scared of heights?", he (rincewind) managed to say.
Twoflower looked down at the tiny landscape, mottled with cloud shadows. the thought of fear hadn't actually occured to him.
"No",he said,"why should i? You're just as dead if you fall from forty feet as you are from four thousand fathoms, that's what i say"

Okey :) I'm gone for now.......

/trollaki

following both stories (ing's and mel's)....

from Gila "I'm so unlucky that when I was born, not even my own mother was there" (rough translation from a bad memory)

from Pratchett and in the way of mel's

Rincewind: Oh no, I'm not afraid of heights!!! I'm afraid of floors...those are the ones which kill you!

hehehe

tomorrow...if I remember...i will bring A HUGE quote of Douglas Adams :)

fathervic (weheeeee)

:wave:

I've just finished with the Evil project,my eyes burn and thus i'm back and here you get a couple of quotes you'll thank me for posting after reading them :p

Okey,Mr. Pratchett again....Apart from the famous discworld series,he was also written a book abotu cats...a humourous one.....about how real cats should be...
so,off we go!!

*"A real cat's aim is to get through life peacefully, with as little interference from human beings as possible,Very much like real humans, in fact."

*"Do you know where your cat spends its time when it's not at home? It's worth checking with more distant neighbours that they don't have a cat with the same size and colouring"

*"it's a simple choice.The cats travel either: a)a box, b) a stupor"

okie,that's all for now :))

Melonaki :) chupi......i long for some Adams witty quotes

time for the master!...one of the masters...quite a big one...well...yeah!
may his sperm rest in peace...(really! I think it's unfair Douglas Adams can't write anymore :cry: ...and still there's so much to quote!!!!)

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move. "

"All it takes to fly is to hurl yourself at the ground... and miss. "

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

and one of his best!

"It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars and so on -- whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man -- for precisely the same reasons. "

Marvin (""`The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'" )

"Life is all that's happening whilst you're trying to make plans" (John Lennon)

@FV: I always suspected that dolphins were more intelligent than you, humans. Good one, btw. :)

|ng.

Douglas Adams rules!!! Thanks for quoting melonaki :) Marvin is such a cool personality...one of my Hitch-hiker´s guide favourites!!
Maybe i should read some Adams when finishing my wonderful "Underdog" (Torbjörn Flygt) and psychomessybook i plan to read afterwards...

Ingie@ Nice one :)

And here's one from Terry pratchett & neil gaiman (from "Good omens" ) for today:
"(...Along with) the standard computer warranty agreement which said that if the machine 1) didn't work, 2) didn't do what the expensive advertisement said, 3) electrocuted the immediate neighbourhood, 4) and in fact failed entirely to be inside the expensive box when you opened it, this was expressly, absolutely, implicitly and in no event the fault or responsibility of the manufacturer, that the purchaser should consider himself lucky to be allowed to give his money to the manufacturer, and that any attempt to treat what had just been paid for as the purchaser's own property would result in the attentions of serious men with menacing briefcases and very thin watches."
:D

yeah, never trust an animal that it's always smiling!!!!

Pratchett has a similar sentence in Pyramids but he uses camels as an example...

well now time for something more DEEP than the sentences i've quoted before...That's why i move to my beloved R.A. Salvatore to quote some meaningful phrases...

"Those who aspire to less accomplish less. There can be no doubt. It is
better, I think, to grab at the stars than to sit flustered because you
know you cannot reach them. At least he who reaches will get a good
stretch, a good view, and perhaps even a low-hanging apple for his effort!"

"The character of the person would outweigh the color of his skin and the
reputation of his heritage."

"There is a wide world out there, my friend, full of pain, but filled with
joy as well. The former keeps you on the path of growth, and the latter
makes the journey tolerable."

i like it...and he is the best writer i've ever read when it comes to sword fighting description!!!

enjoy!

fv (drizzt rules)

FatherVic said:
"Those who aspire to less accomplish less. There can be no doubt. It is
better, I think, to grab at the stars than to sit flustered because you
know you cannot reach them. At least he who reaches will get a good
stretch, a good view, and perhaps even a low-hanging apple for his effort!"
That's just what I always told you, my melonaki, you should think that the world might change, and if it doesn't... well, you did your best, and possibly you achieved a lot of things in the meanwhile. :) Can you recommend something by Salvatore in order to get started? Thank you!

|ng.

I liked the Salvatore quotes a lot :)
serious and somehow "wise"..... The last one reminds me in some way of sth Freud has written.I will post it here translated by me:

"Life is never as beautiful nor as bad as we imagine it,it is however the only thing we have".

Wise man :)

@ing:
well I don't know if you'd like Salvatore or not...he's indeed a master of fantasy...I'd suggest that you read the first book of the Dark Elf trilogy which envolves the birth of Drizzt (the dark elf himself) and who explains a bit of the chaotic city and life which he has to live knowing that he is totally different from the rest that surrounds him...mmm familiar...
Anyway that's his fifth book concerning drizzt...but since the previous became so famous he started to write only about drizzt from the very beggining...may be another day I will post a bit a scheme about his books and the order to read them :) I've nearly read them all and I can say that I was delighted when i was reading them!!!

fv

i don't like seeing this thread going down :cry:,so here is a couple of quotes from our beloved Mr. Pratchett.....

from Small gods:
*"Pets are always a great help in times of stress. And in times of starvation too, o'course."

*"What's a philosopher ?" said Brutha. "Someone who's bright enough to find a job with no heavy lifting," said a voice in his head.

*"I used to think that I was stupid, and then I met philosophers."

okie,enough for tonight.....

:wave:

/troll (where is evereybody????????)