R.I.P. Chester Bennington.

If he really did plan hanging himself to coincide with Cornell's birthday it kinda indicates premeditation though and for any actual crime that would have the insanity defense thrown out. I mean, maybe he checked the calendar and was like "Shit I can't send him a happy birthday note" and then impulsively did it but the circumstances (combined with his bitching about the reception of his album) seem a bit attention whoreish, spiteful, and pathetic.

someone who's not fulfilled even by wealth, fame and family warrants more pity to my mind, not less. must suck to have a amazing life by conventional standards and still hate living it.

That's not uncommon of people thrown into wealth with minimal effort. Western degeneracy in general promotes sloth and quasi-contentedness, which is why those in wealthier countries are far more likely to be diagnosed with depression and taking happy pills. I feel about as sorry for him as I would a heroin addict.

I would actually feel more sorry for Cobain since I think his suicide at least seems more likely to be impulsive and purely a matter of mental illness, since afaik there wasn't a spat of rock star suicides at that time. He killed himself at the top. Bennington killed himself at the bottom.

None of this seems to indicate that any of you understand depression. He wasn't just some wealthy snowflake, he was suffering with depression. That's not the same as having a bad day.

Reactions: EspaDa
Didn't know anything about his background tbh, but is it known that either of those things were the direct motivating factor for his suicide?

None of this seems to indicate that any of you understand depression. He wasn't just some wealthy snowflake, he was suffering with depression. That's not the same as having a bad day.

Depression is an ambiguous mental illness and diagnoses of mental illnesses tend to be correlated with the number of pill-peddlers within a given country.

I would actually feel more sorry for Cobain since I think his suicide at least seems more likely to be impulsive and purely a matter of mental illness, since afaik there wasn't a spat of rock star suicides at that time. He killed himself at the top. Bennington killed himself at the bottom.

the aspect of Cobain being 'anti-fad' then became a 'fad,' had to be strange to him as well

So? He still had depression, that seems to be a fact.

Kind of self-serving logic and without context of what caused the depression, meaningless. Googling, he apparently considered the newest album to have been "therapeutic" for him, and that he was just coming out of the darkest period of his life. From that, one can deduce that whatever happened between their sixth and seventh albums was darker than being a sexually abused drug-addict as a teen or dealing with it before fame, therefore indicating that his depression was both treatable through work. Further, his comments regarding negative reviews towards the album indicate that he was upset about that, indicating that his depression was not something completely separating his feelings from his ability to observe the world (i.e. true insanity), but instead something done consciously in response to external factors. Further, the coincidence of the day of suicide suggests significant premeditation. Altogether, I find his depression irrelevant to his suicide.

Kind of self-serving logic and without context of what caused the depression, meaningless. Googling, he apparently considered the newest album to have been "therapeutic" for him, and that he was just coming out of the darkest period of his life. From that, one can deduce that whatever happened between their sixth and seventh albums was darker than being a sexually abused drug-addict as a teen or dealing with it before fame, therefore indicating that his depression was both treatable through work. Further, his comments regarding negative reviews towards the album indicate that he was upset about that, indicating that his depression was not something completely separating his feelings from his ability to observe the world (i.e. true insanity), but instead something done consciously in response to external factors. Further, the coincidence of the day of suicide suggests significant premeditation. Altogether, I find his depression irrelevant to his suicide.

When depressed people tell you they're okay it's not exactly prudent to believe them.

I'm not talking about what he tells his doctor, but what he tells the public. He has publicly spoken about depression multiple times in the past. He has also spoken about overcoming it. Why cherrypick when it counts and when it doesn't?

I'm not talking about what he tells his doctor, but what he tells the public. He has publicly spoken about depression multiple times in the past. He has also spoken about overcoming it. Why cherrypick when it counts and when it doesn't?

That's not cherrypicking, that's understanding the difference between the public and the personal.

Depression isn't like a broken ankle, there is no generalised, universal set of symptoms or trend in reactions to treatment or said symptoms. For some people depression is a result of diet, for others it is fueled by PTSD and even though it often is a static condition, it doesn't always allow you to act rationally.

This reminds me of this article about a mother who has a son with depression and everytime he says he's fine, but is secretly planning to kill himself.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mits-but-without-fear/?utm_term=.cc51bef5a7b2

Sure, but many (possibly most) mental illnesses are fueled by some event after birth, and many of those events will be to some degree self-inflicted or otherwise within the realm of possibility for non-medicinal treatment. The only way an automatic deference to medical depression makes sense is if you take the deterministic approach, which can be used to justify anything from suicide to child rape.

WaPo link has a paywall.