R.I.P. Chester Bennington.

Sure, but many (possibly most) mental illnesses are fueled by some event after birth, and many of those events will be to some degree self-inflicted or otherwise within the realm of possibility for non-medicinal treatment. The only way an automatic deference to medical depression makes sense is if you take the deterministic approach, which can be used to justify anything from suicide to child rape.

WaPo link has a paywall.

Another by the same author that was luckily archived: http://archive.li/GUdBN

Depression actually also has a genetic component, as much as up to 40% of people with depression can trace it to a genetic source. Kids with a parent that has depression are 3 times more likely to have depression and so on.

Another by the same author that was luckily archived: http://archive.li/GUdBN

Depression actually also has a genetic component, as much as up to 40% of people with depression can trace it to a genetic source. Kids with a parent that has depression are 3 times more likely to have depression and so on.

Not sure what that article is supposed to tell me. It's well known that teens are grossly over-represented in suicide since they're at their most hormonal and have to deal with being locked in public school hell.

Source on the genetic basis of depression? I'm sure one exists but I'm not aware of much beyond that. Fat parents are also more likely to have fat children, doesn't mean being a fat piece of shit is primarily genetic.

That's not what your link says, and I'd be skeptical of any study claiming a genetic effect from a single gene on the basis of a 4% increased risk factor from a sample size of 22 families within a single narrow ethnic group.

That's not what your link says, and I'd be skeptical of any study claiming a genetic effect from a single gene on the basis of a 4% increased risk factor from a sample size of 22 families within a single narrow ethnic group.

My bad I copied the wrong address or something, the fuck?

Meant to post this and let me quote the bit I was originally referring to just so you don't have to run around after my stupid ass posting wrong things.

How do we know that genes play a role in causing depression? Scientists look at patterns of illness in families to estimate their “heritability,” or roughly what percentage of their cause is due to genes. To do this we find people with the disease who have a twin, and then find out whether the twin is also ill. Identical (monozygotic) twins share 100% of their genes, while non-identical (“fraternal” or dizygotic) twins share 50% of their genes. If genes are part of the cause, we expect a patient’s identical twin to have a much higher risk of disease than a patient’s non-identical twin. That is the case for major depression. Heritability is probably 40-50%, and might be higher for severe depression.

http://depressiongenetics.stanford.edu/mddandgenes.html

This includes sources at the bottom.

I think you've just forgotten how to copy and paste URLs because that link includes no sources at the bottom.

All theories aside, if you're not happy with your life- it's your fault and you should probably kill yourself. No sympathies here...depressed people drag other people down with their emo b.s.

...and furthermore...Chris Cornell is a pathetic quitter as well. George Carlin was right, there should be a suicide network on tv for these weak types. You could blame it on other people...maybe a girlfriend who cheated on you, a boss who yelled at you...can't get a job because you're ugly (people are getting disability/SSI for this now lol)- Then blow your brains out, or electrocute etc. on national tv (HBO will run the pilot season). Get the attention they're really craving- besides MMA is dropping in ratings..."hey babe...quick, make some popcorn!!"

This cunt has no idea what clinical depression is. Your life can be perfect in every aspect; happy marriage, good job, good pay rate, nice house in a nice neighborhood and all of that will not cancel out clinical depression.

giphy.gif

Reactions: CiG