Radio-izing tracks...

Jan 10, 2005
I did a search and all I could find were tips on *preparing* a track for the radio. What I can't figure out is different...

Ever notice there is a *lot* more low-end in the mix of a song being played on the radio? But still clear, and thick. I'm trying to figure out the process to do this to tracks. Especially older songs that I have on my iPod like Journey or Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Can anyone offer some advice?

~e.a

2" tape and big mixing desks contributed a lot to the sound of those records.

Wider stereo image, greater depth of field, and tight, punchy bass are characteristics of big tape and big desks that are near impossible to recreate ITB.

the thing you have to remember about stuff on the radio is that it's also eq'd/compressed by the station previous to broadcast

I think the Finnish pros make the radio edits of songs completely differently. The compression is much lighter and the EQ is a lot flatter, and the limiting is also much more conservative. When the mix goes through the radio stations' processing, the songs end up sounding good instead of being all mashed up and pumping.

Right, I understand that it's compression, EQ and limiting...but I was looking for some tips as far as settings.

I have a lot of older music (SRV, Journey, etc.) on my iPod that just isn't loud enough or bumpin' enough compared to the newer music I have on it. There is a noticeable difference in low-end and volume. But when I hear the same songs on the radio, they are really thick, loud, and beefy. I was just curious on how I could take those tracks on my iPod, put them in Cubase and get those results. The only thing I have done to a few Queen tracks was use some EQ and an L2 on them.

Any suggestions?

~e.a

I would reccomend turning the volume control up. Trying to re-master classic albums for your iPod seems like a terrible idea to me, definately wouldn't do it. BUT, radio stations have always been in a competition to make their station the loudest so people will tune in to their station. Mainly they are using phase rotators, multiband compressors, EQ, more multiband comps, some more EQ to boost the 2-3k or 15k depending on the station, and finally some clipping. Songs going to the radio are really getting killed these days, back in the day it wasn't so bad but this was before the ME probably did everything I just listed before it even hit the radio.