The "Wooshing" sound for a lack of better word

tentimesover

Mar 14, 2009
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to figure out how to do this...

I have a part that drops out and sounds sorta like a scratchy am radio type tone. When everything in the mix comes back in at full volume I'd like to have a swell up to the volume. Almost sounds like the part would be reversed and swelled.

Does anyone have tips on how to achieve this? i've tried quickly fading in cymbals and guitars and all sorts of other instruments but I can't figure it out.

Does anyone undstand my terrible description?

Well you've basicly answered your own question...

Render the part of the song you are interested in, import it back, add reverb and reverse it, mix it back in as an additional track, and cut it when the song hits back into full volume..

Well you've basicly answered your own question...

Render the part of the song you are interested in, import it back, add reverb and reverse it, mix it back in as an additional track, and cut it when the song hits back into full volume..

Thanks for the help. I've tried a few things sorta similar to this but never all of those at once! Appreciate it!

Could also play around with an EQ that only has a low pass filter, automate it so it starts off by cutting all the nice high end out, and automate it to go higher and higher until the song kicks in. The automation would have to be a pretty fast one to get a "swoooosh" effect though.

Reverse it first, add reverb, then reverse it back. Wooosh sound as it all come back in.

** Holy crap I guess I should post more and not just read these great forums. lol.

Might not be applicable to your kind of music but in electronic production a common way to achieve this is to use a hi-passed white noise generator. If you get it to sit in the mix right it can be an effective way to subtley raise tension before a drop.

How do you make it not sound weird when it's done swelling?

What exactly do you mean? I've never had an issue with it sounding wierd, yet I have experienced odd pops or something, but it was easily fixed by nudging it a little farther that it looks like i should, and throwing a very small fade out on the clip. When I say small, I do mean very small, have to zoom in a bit to visually see it.

But when you say sounds wierd, I don't get the idea that this is anything of what you're speaking about, explain?

Use an automation on the EQ and bring the High and Low filters in to "Squeeze" the eq out of the mix you will lose low end and high end making it sound like a telephone or a radio then bring out the filters and as they come off it will gradually open and "get louder" because you will hear all the frequencies...