How to create a "wooosh"

Vicioushead

Jan 29, 2012
Ireland
Great thread title huh? I should definitely brush on my onomatopoeia.

Anyway, in this clip...

...I'd like to create a "wooshing" effect before the solo arrives. A bit like a cymbal swish or swell. Sadly, I can't seem to make that happen with Superior Drummer. It sounds really nasty and robotic.

Does anyone out there have any other ideas as to how to make that kind of sound? I'd be really appreciative or your advice.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really know what you mean since it isn't actually in the clip (?) but if you want a cymbal swell, just do a series of 16th notes on the hat or ride edge with gradually increasing velocity. If you want it to sound really smooth, you can make an X-drum or automate a steep dropoff on the drum's attack to get rid of the sound of the stick actually hitting the cymbal.

I don't really know what you mean since it isn't actually in the clip (?) but if you want a cymbal swell, just do a series of 16th notes on the hat or ride edge with gradually increasing velocity. If you want it to sound really smooth, you can make an X-drum or automate a steep dropoff on the drum's attack to get rid of the sound of the stick actually hitting the cymbal.

Yeah, I didn't bother putting it in cause it sounded so bad...haha.

I will try using Xdrum and see how that goes. I'll report back with my findings.

Try searching online for other cymbals. I've found a bunch of good ones. I think Erkans drum pack he gave away for free might still be floating around. I forget if there are cymbals in there though.

It's a bit different, but you can just reverse a single cymbal hit and play around with reverb until it sounds cool.