Rage Against the Machine Self Titled

cfh11

Apr 25, 2012
Boston, MA
I keep going back to what an amazing mix this is... it still stands up (IMHO) as the pinnacle of hard rock mixes after all these years. I know they had the super team of GGGarth, Andy Wallace, and Bob Ludwig along with a killer live band so its hard to go wrong. But it still blows me away every time I listen to it how well it conveys the feel of a tight live band. And how ever part of the audio spectrum is represented perfectly. And how I should just give up because I will never get a recording to sound that badass :(

anyone have any insight on this one (gear, methods, anecdotes, etc)?

YES. The S/T is incredible, it sounds raw without sounding like shit. Not many mixes can pull that off. I'd love to know more about the recording process.

this album is definitly on my list on my peronal top 5 favourite albums ever!
really love the feel of the music and the mix / production totally delivers!

BIG album! rinsed it hard when it came out.. LOVE the production..

i remember in the local rehearsal room's at the time, you'd hear SO MANY bass players trying to cop the riff from 'bullet in the head' :)

from gearslutz:

"yup, thats Cole Rehearsal in Hollywood. they wanted to avoid the "typical" recording studio so they got permission to put a hole in the wall for cables and made most of the record in their rehearsal room. i love the drum sounds, especially the toms... "

"I rented that room for a couple of months after they did that. There was a big hole in the wall where they ran the snake into the next room.

If you go into Cole, it's the first room on the left.

When I had the room, they'd come in and rehearse in the space across the hall. They really sounded huge. I remember the guitar player was using a 4x10 at the time.

The room was really nothing spectacular sound-wise. It had a bunch of burlap-y stuff on the wall with insulation behind it. Nothing you couldn't get just about anywhere.

It smelled gross. Don't even sit on that carpet. "

"I remember reading something with Gggarth and he said the drums were cut in a room with full PA and the whole band including Zakk playing along live. Zakk cut his vocals in the control room in front of the mains cranked to high hell. "

EDIT: apparently Evil Empire was cut at Cole's and S/T was Sound City in Van Nuys. Supposedly Brendan O'Brien did the original mix for Evil Empire but the label wanted the sound of the first album so they brought Andy back. Anyways it sounds like both were done pretty much live so that would explain the incredible feel captured.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAN0HHVGAp4&feature=related[/ame]

somewhat OT, but a good watch if you havent seen it.