Randall Diavlo series: Rd20h, Rd40h

Sep 8, 2005
Have any of you tried one of those? hearing demos in youtube, not so many available but enough to give me gas. I like the prices, even the 1 and 5 watt little heads seem to be pretty rad!

The 45 is awesome. Our other guitarist uses one. Great amp for the money, easily keeps up with any other amp.

A friend just got the 1-watter. Sounds cool for what it is. I'd be interested in checking the 45-watt one out for sure.

This amp would be the perfect christmas gift for me! haha.

Little fucker sounds brutal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to do a demo of the rd45 head in a couple of days - albeit probably only the gain channel. ;)

This amp would be the perfect christmas gift for me! haha.

Little fucker sounds brutal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfan4NB59js
That sounds great in that vid!

In the room, I thought the Krank Rev Jr. destroys the RD1, though. Maybe at whisper-low volumes through a smaller cab, the RD1 *might* be more practical for bedroom practice, but if you already have a Krank Jr., cheap as it may be, I'm not really sure you'd want to spend the dough on a RD1...

The 45-watt version on the other hand... would love to hear that! :D

That sounds great in that vid!

In the room, I thought the Krank Rev Jr. destroys the RD1, though. Maybe at whisper-low volumes through a smaller cab, the RD1 *might* be more practical for bedroom practice, but if you already have a Krank Jr., cheap as it may be, I'm not really sure you'd want to spend the dough on a RD1...

The 45-watt version on the other hand... would love to hear that! :D

You are probably right Hugo, i really love small heads, of course i would rather to get the 45 watts versión, but there's something irrestitible also on the 1 watt amp hehe, as you say it would suit better for bedroom, The krank rev gets to loud for my bedroom.

If you really want to make the Krank more bedroom-friendly, try 6V6's! Don't go for JJ 6V6's, though. Those are way too robust and almost as loud as 6L6's in the Krank. Through a speaker that's less efficient (not a V30!), the Krank can definitely sound good at like TV-ish volumes.

But yeah, I agree about the 1-watt being kinda irresistable. The RD1 is definitely cool.

Bump.

RVC.jpg

:devil:

Irresistible indeed!

It's not exactly an RD, but a predecessor rather, an RVC, which supposedly Mike Fortin tweaked to come up with the current RD's. It's 5-watts class A with 2 12AX7's and a single 6V6 in the power section. I suspect the only significant difference between these and the RD's is the speaker emulated output, but don't quote me on that.

It's a great amp to jam around with. It sounds cool through a 4x12 and it's not obscenely loud. It doesn't have anywhere near the low-end of my Peavey XXX (which I obviously expected) or my Krank, but it's voiced aggressive, and it's tight and focused enough that I don't feel it needs a boost.

Sounds a bit like a pissed off Marshall to me... kinda... sorta... Or at least I'd say it doesn't sound like the Krank or XXX at all.

I wonder if I would make it explode if I replaced the 6V6 with a 6L6 or 5881? :D

I'll try to post clips soon! [/TEASE]

BTW, if you do end up getting one, save yourself a deception and get the head, and dont even bother with the combo. I got mine in a trade, so there really was no choice, but the stock speaker is a fucking joke. I run it in my bedroom through a Vox cab with a Greenback, but I might sell the cab and get a 10 inch greenback at some point just for convenience sake.