Random Live Show Reports

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Talk about any shows you attended recently here.

1/25/06, Denver, CO. Nile, Hypocrisy, Decapitated.

Out of the three bands I wanted to see, Decapitated played first, the second of six bands (bullshit). I left anything breakable I had on me with a friend and went down in front of the stage to get ready. The band came out and started with "Three Dimensional Defect" and the place went nuts. The band's sound was excellent and the pit was fun as hell. There was actually enough room to get some freedom of movement and the band and fans were both intense. If anyone doubts there is a "metal community" it's things like this that re-affirm that there is. Everytime someone went down, two or three guys helped him up and continued going. Just a primal experience and the band played a good variety of songs from across their discography. The new album, "Organic Hallucinosis" was also available at their merchandise stand and I picked it up with the "Nihility" shirt. The new record is actually really good in my opinion. New vocalist Covan was excellent live and the band sounded as I would have expected them to with Sauron. Unfortunately, his voice is not as strong on the album itself and he uses less of a growl and more of his actual voice ala Peter from Vader. I don't like it as much, as I don't feel it fits Decapitated that well, but the music on "Organic Hallucinosis" is full of a good mix of brutality and groove. The material is more like some of the better songs on The Negation such as the title track or The Empty Throne, though the new album may not be as good. The interesting thing about this band is, that I think their albums may each be a little lesser than the one that came before it, but they're still so good, that they are able to remain one of my favorite bands. I also got Vitek to sign all of my album booklets, nice guy. Decapitated fucking owned, band of the night.

Next, was Hypocrisy and their set was also very good. Song of the night would perhaps be "Let the Knife Do the Talking" from the new album, it just translated amazing well into a live environment, about as good of a sing along as you can get in metal. A lot of energy, the fans were into it and the band sounded great. Peter is really a good vocalist and it came through live as well. I've really grown to like his vocals a lot after hearing Hypocrisy more. Eraser and Fire in the Sky were another couple of stand outs. Between this set and Decapitated, I felt like my head was about to roll off my shoulders, with Nile still to come.

Nile live is fucking nuts. You have to just stand there in amazement at just how fast these guys play. George Kollias is pretty much my favorite drummer. He plays with great touch on the Nightfall album I have and he plays with such fucking effortless intensity and speed on the Nile set, that he pretty much notches himself up there as about the best I know of. Joe Payne of Domination Through Impurity played bass and vocals and did a pretty stand up job. Dallas Toler is a beast on guitar and main vocal duties. He has a really great voice and he's a damn skilled musician. Watching the stuff he and Karl played was insane. They move at pretty lightning fast speeds. Karl was just awesome. He had a smile on his face the entire time and interacted with the fans constantly. You could tell he loves what he's doing and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Nile played for a LONG TIME and was able to fit in tracks off of Amongst..., Black Seeds, Darkened Shrines and a lot of new material from Annihilation. I've had that album for a week or so now and I really dig it, more so than Black Seeds. Some really killer material on there and it made for the best part of the live show too. Good set.

Overall, it was an excellent show. With Passion, the opener, was actually fairly good, Raging Speedhorn was LOUD AS FUCK and not very good and Soilent Green was ok, but I wish they sounded more like Down instead of only having bits of Southern influence, though I guess they wouldn't fit the tour then.

cool review, thanks

How was Nile's sound? I've seen them 4x already, and honestly, every single time they're a muddy wall-of-sound that I lose interest in quickly. I'm hoping the more mid-paced "cleaner" sound of the newest album translates to this tour, since it's hitting NYC in 10 days.

I need to catch this show, if I didn't already miss it.

Jarboe and John Cobbett tonight in LA. I'm sorta hungover and exhausted already, and I know nobody will drive my ass, so it's highly doubtful I'll be attending. Doh well!

MadeInNewJersey said:
I'm hoping the more mid-paced "cleaner" sound of the newest album translates to this tour, since it's hitting NYC in 10 days.

Though this was the first time I've seen them, I'd lean towards this being the case. They had a pretty decently balanced sound, but yes, it does sometimes become a wall of sound, but mostly because that's how the song really sounds at that point.:tickled: The new stuff has some more clearly defined riffs and that comes through in songs such as the title track and Cast Down the Heretic among others. It was quite entertaining and I was able to make out what was going on at all times. My focus was on Kollias a lot of the time though, the man is a robotic octopus beast sent back through time to DESTROY METALHEADS EVERYWHERE. I'd go just to watch him, and the other two awesome bands.

Summary: The new material = better live sound and they played a LOT of new material. Go see this show.:D