random thoughts of the day

I don't think Avatar deserved it, and I only saw a short clip of The Hurt Locker. I think it's total bs that chick won best director though. From what I saw it was the worst shot/edited film I've ever seen. Looked like the camera man has a bad case of Parkinson's disease, and literally a million fast edits per second. I think Moon should have won best picture, but then again the Oscars are really only a bias popularity contest. I don't even watch that crap, but I can't help but look at the winners either.

avatar was ok......it was no where near what one would expect for an oscar though

maybe if they had actually written an original story though....

not that i regret seeing it, it was just not "the greatest thing ever"

The only thing that matters is that Jeff Bridges won Best Actor. That guy is underrated as fuck...from what I've known/seen/heard. Classy actor that can just about play any role out there.

I don't think Avatar deserved it, and I only saw a short clip of The Hurt Locker. I think it's total bs that chick won best director though. From what I saw it was the worst shot/edited film I've ever seen. Looked like the camera man has a bad case of Parkinson's disease, and literally a million fast edits per second. I think Moon should have won best picture, but then again the Oscars are really only a bias popularity contest. I don't even watch that crap, but I can't help but look at the winners either.

Moon is such a good movie!!! Maybe as good as Gattaca... I really love that kind of movies, sci-fi at its best.

You judge her and the movie on one clip? Shiiiiiiish...

I'm not judging the movie itself because I haven't seen all of it, but from the ten minute cut I saw I can tell there was some shoddy calls from the director. I do editing, and filming for a living so I know what I saw, and I know I didn't like what I saw. I can't stand this trend of modern herky jerkyness. It's really nauseating, and detracts from the immersion.

The thing is Cameron is a master director, and doesn't need the recognition, which is probably a big reason why they gave it to the up in comer instead. There's no doubt the that there are very few people on this planet that could have pulled off a movie like Avatar though.

@Mourner: Yeah, Gattaca is amazing.

@Kev: Jeff def deserves the recognition. I saw Crazy Heart last night.

I'm not judging the movie itself because I haven't seen all of it, but from the ten minute cut I saw I can tell there was some shoddy calls from the director. I do editing, and filming for a living so I know what I saw, and I know I didn't like what I saw. I can't stand this trend of modern herky jerkyness. It's really nauseating, and detracts from the immersion.

The thing is Cameron is a master director, and doesn't need the recognition, which is probably a big reason why they gave it to the up in comer instead. There's no doubt the that there are very few people on this planet that could have pulled off a movie like Avatar though.

I dont agree at all. I think the jerky handcams, quick cuts etc can add to the immersion since it makes you feel like if you were there. If something is nauseating and distracting it's the use of 3D in Avatar, what a gimmick.

Avatar might have been a mastodon project but still it was an awfull movie. Unobtanium... Come on. He should have spent some more time writing a more original story, developing characters and not making the Na'Vi some blue retarded catelves instead of making Pochahontas in space.

jerky camerawork is a plague these days

it was part of the reason transformers sucked

aside from it being a love story about some loser who likes a girl with toe-thumbs :p

horrible movie, no way around it

I dont agree at all. I think the jerky handcams, quick cuts etc can add to the immersion since it makes you feel like if you were there. If something is nauseating and distracting it's the use of 3D in Avatar, what a gimmick.

Avatar might have been a mastodon project but still it was an awfull movie. Unobtanium... Come on. He should have spent some more time writing a more original story, developing characters and not making the Na'Vi some blue retarded catelves instead of making Pochahontas in space.

Look dude I agree about Avatar as a film, but it was still an achievement from a directorial standpoint. The first time you see the forest at night, and he fights those dog creatures was probably the biggest spectacle put to film. Problem was it went on for another two, and a half hours after that. I seriously could have walked out satisfied after seeing that. I knew from day one it was going to be lacking in the most important area, which is the story. Because of that it's nowhere near the standard that Cameron himself set for action films with Aliens, and T2. It is what it is.

As for the shaky cam, say what you will, but I'll never agree on that.

@Mourner: Yeah, Gattaca is amazing.

@Kev: Jeff def deserves the recognition. I saw Crazy Heart last night.

I thought the point of the editing in that film was to make you uncomfortable and nauseated, so it was effective. Same in the movie Irreversible. How would you immerse yourself in a movie about a war and be comfortable and relaxed really?

I thought the point of the editing in that film was to make you uncomfortable and nauseated, so it was effective. Same in the movie Irreversible. How would you immerse yourself in a movie about a war and be comfortable and relaxed really?

Irreversible was a different kind of beast. That "one" scene was kinda hard to watch.