rare prog from early 70s

Eemu said:
Good work with the list NFU! Covers all areas pretty nicely, would have been a big help for me six months ago (and the folk- and krautrock-parts still are!).

I got Paatos' "Timeloss" today, and I already prefer it over "Kallocain". This one has a naive kind of charm, and the crystal-clear production of the new one isn't missed.
I've also had a listen through Dungen's "Stadsvandringar" at my local library, but it left me cold except the beautiful "Solen Stiger Upp". Might be because I have the disadvantage of understanding the mediocre lyrics, what do I know?

you actually bring up a very interesting point with dungen. i dont speak swedish, so the lyrics (although unintelligable to me) have a sort of mysterious charm to me, and have no way to detract from the music lyrically. however, 95% of psych bands in the 70s up until now, never had good lyrics, so i cant say that its all that much of a let down either way. the music itself i love though...so rural, emotional, atmospheric, etc etc. very vintage but fresh at the same time.

Unintelligable lyrics were once a staple of Yes music courtesy of Jon Anderson. Jon likes the way words sound together, even if they don't make any sense. I can appreciate that because there is no doubt that the following sounds cool all thrown together:

"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace,
And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar,
Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour."

WTF? But it all works in the context of Close to the Edge and probably even better if you have a water bong handy.

Battleships confide in me and tell me where you are, Shining flying purple wolfhound show me where you are

fucking genius

Abhorsen said:
Unintelligable lyrics were once a staple of Yes music courtesy of Jon Anderson. Jon likes the way words sound together, even if they don't make any sense. I can appreciate that because there is no doubt that the following sounds cool all thrown together:

"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace,
And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar,
Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour."

WTF? But it all works in the context of Close to the Edge and probably even better if you have a water bong handy.

:p
youre right. but also in jon's defense...if you take a look at 90% of lyrics being written in 1973...you wouldnt be overly impressed with those either.

ive always enjoyed yes' vocal patterns and melodies...ive never paid too much attention to the lyrics. however songs like "turn of the century" and "time and a word" i think have decent lyrics and/or messages as well, so its not always just fluff.

@9ft.undrgrnd: igra staklenih perli - 70s psyprog, like pink floyd ummagumma live period (my favorite one - careful w/ that axe eugene and set the controls for the heart of the sun) and tangerine dream maybe.
cannot be totally objective tho to say how original it is because i discovered them recently and honestly feel proud that serbia had any psychedelic band at that time.

very rare to find even over here, but if youre interested (as a masssive collector i believe you are) i can send you some.

peace

NFU: why is meddle in a different catagory than dark side of the moon? doesnt make much sense to me. meddle is somehwhat like threshold-album in my opinion but it's fairly comparable to DSOTM in matters of style imo.

Meddle is deffinately less tightly structured than DSOTM (most of its filler according to the band) and is more free and jam orientated (fearless, san tropez), putting it to me in a different catagory to DSOTM. It also contains on of my fav floyd tracks A pillow of winds.

Obscured by clouds is more comperable to DSOTM and is seen by many as the warm up, although echoes was the start of the dark side.

discouraged: Yes, id love to hear some.

RJBeals: Also good bands you mentioned...i was just listening to T2 last night actually...one of my favorites. And todd rundgren is an amazing musician and vocalist...i highly recommend Utopia - RA by him, and any of his solo work through the 70s...a great songwriter.

Kotno: Because i feel darkside is a much more focused album even considering its diversity therein...meddle is a bit more experimental, and probably not as "complete" as dark side...even though theyre both fantastic albums.

Interestingly, I'm actually not TOO big fan of what are considered by many their two best works (DSOTM, The wall). I definetly like most of the songs on them, but as a whole, I'd definetly rather listen to other albums of theirs.

I didn't mean to suggest earlier that I wasn't impressed with those lyrics of Jon's. I actually think it's pretty impressive to use words the way he did then. Word combos that sound great with the music is not easy to put together. I think it was around Going For the One that Chris Squire is reported to have said to Jon that his lyrics "make no fucking sense" and as a result he started to write more songs that tell stories, ala Awaken, Turn of the Century, etc... Olias of Sunhillow tells a cool story too. Do you know this record NFU?

Speaking of 1973, one of my favorite prog songs of all time came out that year: Supper's Ready by Gabriel-era Genesis.

My favorite Floyd album is Wish You Were Here. Great flow to that record and not a week moment to be found.

Abhorsen said:
Fish Out of Water is excellent, even more so for the presence of drummer Bill Bruford. Nothing aginst Alan White, but Bruford is in a league of his own.

yea. its funny actually....alan white is better than 95% of drummers...and bruford still blows him away...it says a little something i think.

I have almost all Priest albums in mp3 format, but I think I'm gonna start buying most of them. I purchased Stained Class today, obviously one of their best.

Also, I just dl'ed Kreator - Enemy of God, and it's pretty damn awesome.

Yes, it's a good album. I had the pre-master for a while and wondered why everything sounded so quiet and unrefined. Unfortunately what the master did was shroud the guitars and bring the vocals up which sucks majorly.

I purchased 2 cds tonight:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny.
A classic album.

Nightingale - Invisible.
I kept hearing stuff about them, so I downloaded a few tracks, they sounded pretty good, so I bought the cd on a whim. After 1 spin, it sounds pretty good, but I'll need a few listens for a true opinion. Though I do prefer hearing dan's death vox, his clean voice has developed quite well. Unfortunately that will never happen again (Dan + death vox) according to the man himself.