rare prog from early 70s

Over the last year or so I've really expanded what music I listen to. And I think if I was only permitted to listen to one genre of music for the rest of my life, I'd choose classic rock.

However, I've delved very much into prog rock, and I think it's safe to say it's becoming my new favorite genre. It just brings my ears such joy. There is still a massive amount of bands I have to check out, I've heard a spec of what's out there. As you probably guessed, 70's prog rock is what I fucking love the most.

deliverance said:
Over the last year or so I've really expanded what music I listen to. And I think if I was only permitted to listen to one genre of music for the rest of my life, I'd choose classic rock.

However, I've delved very much into prog rock, and I think it's safe to say it's becoming my new favorite genre. It just brings my ears such joy. There is still a massive amount of bands I have to check out, I've heard a spec of what's out there. As you probably guessed, 70's prog rock is what I fucking love the most.

good to hear. i feel the late 60s and 70s was the best period for rock music without a doubt. be it hard rock, progressive rock, folk, or classic rock, or even heavy metal...so much of it was fantastic, its good to see it gets appreciated by so many different kinds of people, from all different backgrounds and ages...as we can see from this forum alone.

Over the weekend I was at Amoeba music in San Francisco and I picked up a couple of early 70's prog cd's called From the Witchwood and Grave New World by the Strawbs. Rick Wakeman plays on Witchwood. I used to own these on vinyl twenty some years ago but had forgotten about them until Saturday. Pretty good folk-prog.

Abhorsen said:
Over the weekend I was at Amoeba music in San Francisco and I picked up a couple of early 70's prog cd's called From the Witchwood and Grave New World by the Strawbs. Rick Wakeman plays on Witchwood. I used to own these on vinyl twenty some years ago but had forgotten about them until Saturday. Pretty good folk-prog.

the strawbs arent the most instrumentally impressive of progressive rock bands, but certainly wakeman's contribution is worthwhile, as well as the band as a whole for a decent addition to any collection. check out gravy train, and magna carta for bands similar in vein.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i feel the late 60s and 70s was the best period for rock music without a doubtQUOTE]

Steven Wilson said that was his reason for working with Aviv Geffen. Are you really Steven wilson?

TMV thing was on a programme here called breakfast, morning talk show with leftist presenters discussing news "without" thier opinions. Its usually trash but the cd reviewer is ok.

Recent additions:

Isildurs Bane - MIND Vol. 1 // This magnificient band gets overshadowed by other Sweden's greats, both from the 70's and 90's. But this album is a stunning piece of art, succesfully mixing rock and classical instruments to create something truly progressive and elaborate.

Trettioåriga Kriget - s/t // Just had my first listen through this classic record from 73, and it had a pleasant 70's timbre and technicality. Can't wait to really get into this one (which I most certainly will do).

Pink Floyd - Animals // Can't believe I've missed this until now. All songs top quality, my PF favourite after Meddle and WYWH, before DSOTM and The Wall.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells // Consisting of two 25min instrumentals, it's amazing to read that this well-known progressive one-man record sold 10 million copies in its first 10 years. Having listened to this for a few days, I can't believe it wasn't 20 millions.

Alternative 3 said:
i feel the late 60s and 70s was the best period for rock music without a doubtQUOTE]

Steven Wilson said that was his reason for working with Aviv Geffen. Are you really Steven wilson?

TMV thing was on a programme here called breakfast, morning talk show with leftist presenters discussing news "without" thier opinions. Its usually trash but the cd reviewer is ok.

nope, im not the wilson...mere coincidence i suppose. but i know theres many people who feel the same way about that era.

Eemu said:
Recent additions:

Isildurs Bane - MIND Vol. 1 // This magnificient band gets overshadowed by other Sweden's greats, both from the 70's and 90's. But this album is a stunning piece of art, succesfully mixing rock and classical instruments to create something truly progressive and elaborate.

Trettioåriga Kriget - s/t // Just had my first listen through this classic record from 73, and it had a pleasant 70's timbre and technicality. Can't wait to really get into this one (which I most certainly will do).

Pink Floyd - Animals // Can't believe I've missed this until now. All songs top quality, my PF favourite after Meddle and WYWH, before DSOTM and The Wall.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells // Consisting of two 25min instrumentals, it's amazing to read that this well-known progressive one-man record sold 10 million copies in its first 10 years. Having listened to this for a few days, I can't believe it wasn't 20 millions.

all are great releases....especially the hidden gem of a band that is Trettioariga Kriget...many people still dont know of this band, but theyre wonderful. mellotronen records has been re-printing their albums on CD recently...so theyre not that hard to find anymore...definitely worth it.

Wow! This thread is awesome! Thanks NFU and everyone else! I'm gonna check out some of these bands you're talking about.

all are great releases....especially the hidden gem of a band that is Trettioariga Kriget...many people still dont know of this band, but theyre wonderful. mellotronen records has been re-printing their albums on CD recently...so theyre not that hard to find anymore...definitely worth it.

My copy is one of those reprints, and includes three bonus tracks. Now, after two more listens some parts actually remind me A LOT of Änglagård. Actually I'm almost certain they've been influenced by TK. However a superb album.

Eemu said:
My copy is one of those reprints, and includes three bonus tracks. Now, after two more listens some parts actually remind me A LOT of Änglagård. Actually I'm almost certain they've been influenced by TK. However a superb album.

i wouldnt doubt it at all. From those ive spoken with in the swedish scene, it seems Trettioariga Kriget, along with Kaipa were some of the biggest domestic influences for the new wave of prog over there.

Has anyone mentioned Gordian Knot? I've been listening to them a lot lately. Some great songs.

Fischer's Gambit, Reflections, and Mutterspache are amazing songs. I have their self titled album and Emergent. I guess it could be described as jazz metal or something similar (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) All instrumentals and definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

Jon Snow said:
Fischer's Gambit, Reflections, and Mutterspache are amazing songs. I have their self titled album and Emergent. I guess it could be described as jazz metal or something similar (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) All instrumentals and definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

i listened to a few songs...i wasnt terribly impressed...but im not really into modern progressive metal in this style, so i dont know.

Abhorsen said:
details dude! What year/tour?

it has the following: 8 tracks from 1974 from a studio in Brussels...broadcasted by the German station ZDF. Followed by 4 tracks from the Terrace Theatre, Long Beach, California 1975. PLUS 3 minutes from Gentle Giant´s European Tour 1974. PLUS A black and white documentry called Baroque & roll. A photo gallery included 36 pictures from Gary Green´s private collection.

good stuff...well worth it for gentle giant fans.