rare prog from early 70s

on another note...i know ive posted this band here before, but for anyone who didnt see it or take note of it then....check out Locomotive - we are everything you see. amazing popish prog/psych...very catchy, melodic and fun. great repeated listening to, not a clunker. im listening to them again tonight after a few months without listening to them...a great band to rediscover.

Abhorsen said:
1974 and 75 were great years for GG. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely pick that one up.

right on.

id also recommend:

RUSH - Live in rio DVD,
YES - Yessongs DVD,
Camel - Curiculum Vitae DVD

all are fantastic watching/listening experiences with 3 fantastic bands.

if you already have any of these...what did you think about them?

NineFeetUnderground said:
right on.

id also recommend:

RUSH - Live in rio DVD,
YES - Yessongs DVD,
Camel - Curiculum Vitae DVD

all are fantastic watching/listening experiences with 3 fantastic bands.

if you already have any of these...what did you think about them?

tell me a little about the Camel dvd.

deliverance said:
tell me a little about the Camel dvd.

well, its about an hour and a half long, and it is basically the biography of the band through interviews with the members, as well as clips of the band playing live from different concerts through the years (including early 70s material which is a real treat), as well as photo slides of the band through the years. Its definitely worthwhile.

I've been meaning to get that Camel Dvd for awhile...eventually I will purchase the best DVDs from Yes, King Crimson, Rush etc....the Pink Floyd - Live in Pompeii I have and love it.

Agree about Pompeii. It's fantastic. I have the Camel and Yessongs DVD's and enjoy them both. The Camel DVD is great for the reasons NFU lists above. Nice history of the band combined with vintage performances and interviews. Yessongs as it is on DVD is currently in the best form I've ever heard/seen it, but it still suffers from a weak sound/film source and there just isn't anyway to change that. That said, I used to own the old VHS tape and kept it around for the same reason I do the DVD: Yes has never been better than they were on the Close To The Edge tour in 1972 and even with the concert sound and film limitations of the day, the DVD is a must have if you are a Yes fan.

I was just reading about a Van Der Graaf Generator DVD that features them performing Godbluff in its entirety in 1975 along with 1971 footage of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. Evidently the quality isn't great but then again VDGG fans don't have many other options. NFU, have you seen this? (or anybody else on the board)

Abhorsen said:
Agree about Pompeii. It's fantastic. I have the Camel and Yessongs DVD's and enjoy them both. The Camel DVD is great for the reasons NFU lists above. Nice history of the band combined with vintage performances and interviews. Yessongs as it is on DVD is currently in the best form I've ever heard/seen it, but it still suffers from a weak sound/film source and there just isn't anyway to change that. That said, I used to own the old VHS tape and kept it around for the same reason I do the DVD: Yes has never been better than they were on the Close To The Edge tour in 1972 and even with the concert sound and film limitations of the day, the DVD is a must have if you are a Yes fan.

I was just reading about a Van Der Graaf Generator DVD that features them performing Godbluff in its entirety in 1975 along with 1971 footage of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. Evidently the quality isn't great but then again VDGG fans don't have many other options. NFU, have you seen this? (or anybody else on the board)

no, to be honest i havent heard about it whatsoever...but im certainly interested, as im a VDGG fan. where can it be purchased, do you know?

I'd love to have a DVD of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. A friend of mine (who actually saw Genesis perform the Lamb in 1975) invited me to a performance of the Lamb by this Genesis tribute band called The Musical Box. They were in San Francisco back in December but I passed. I've heard they are really good, but I just wasn't that into seeing a copy do Gabriel-era Genesis. I've read that several Lamb shows were filmed by the band but so far only the live Archive release from a few years back now.

I'd also enjoy a Rush DVD circa 1980 or 1981. I haven't seen that band in years but I'll check out the Live in RIO DVD. Is the sound good?

Abhorsen said:
I'd love to have a DVD of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. A friend of mine (who actually saw Genesis perform the Lamb in 1975) invited me to a performance of the Lamb by this Genesis tribute band called The Musical Box. They were in San Francisco back in December but I passed. I've heard they are really good, but I just wasn't that into seeing a copy do Gabriel-era Genesis. I've read that several Lamb shows were filmed by the band but so far only the live Archive release from a few years back now.

I'd also enjoy a Rush DVD circa 1980 or 1981. I haven't seen that band in years but I'll check out the Live in RIO DVD. Is the sound good?

the sound is perfect really...for a live release anyway. certainly on par with the best live recordings ive heard...so i doubt youll be dissapointed. Lots of bonus features, as well, and some tracks done with multiangle options, etc

The Arzachael tunes are great. I definitely hear elements of what would go into Egg, which isn't surprising I guess considering Stewart and Campbell are in the band. I'm definitely going to pick up the cd when it becomes available again from Freak.

Vile Excesses is a great song. I'm digging the Mellow Candle as well. Great vocal parts with instrumentation that matches well. Looking forward to more listens of both.