Rason Rullo Drum Setup

Oh and I did ask Jason what was up with his site, he said they'd had some problems (he didn't go into detail), so he does know it's not working. I'll see if I can get some more info from him on his setup.

I remember visiting his site and the videos never worked... If he plans on putting his site back up just mention that the videos didn't work, it would be awesome to see them.

proulxski said:
Like Mike Portnoy? Who I think holds the record for the biggest most useless drum set i the world lol?

Useless huh???

Ive seen him use every peice on that kit! So if you know anyting about Mike Portnoy, its that he incroporates everything on his kit, into his songs.

It is pretty damn big though:worship:

^^ I see nothing extraordinary or superb in Portnoy's drumming. He is a good drummer , though...

ı find Rullo more creative...

Time-Machinist said:
^^ I see nothing extraordinary or superb in Portnoy's drumming. He is a good drummer , though...

ı find Rullo more creative...
He's my favorite drummer of all time. I nearly worship him, even though I'm not a drummer. That's how much I like him.

(Actual worship is for n00bs. :p)

The Yngster said:
when i read the title the first thing that came to mind is scooby doo saying jason rullo
ditto :lol: Hey Shaggy, rhat kinda drum set he got?
I don't get the portnoy fanatics. the guy is talented. more than the average drummer. he has a massive kit. but i think there are far superior (and more subtly impactful) drummers out there that even he wishes he could play like.

I thought he had lotsa mini chinas and stuff also on his set. I remember at Gigantour, seeing his drumset and thinking "Why all the mini-chinas?" And also, it's said for the past year or so that his set layout was "coming soon". When the hell are they gonna get it?!?

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I can't possibly say that Rullo is more creative. :erk:

Seriously... no.

I'm not even trying to joke around here. I don't think he is as creative.

Don't cry, though. I still like Symphony X. And Jason.

Portnoy may do alot more crazy fills and shit, but Rllo does Polyrhythms. Polyrhythms are the most innovativething in the music world since Odd Time Signatures. And nobody does them like Symphony X. Jason Rullo = Polyrhythm master. (But that's soon to change, as soon as my band starts getting recognized. LOL!!)

Ptah Khnemu said:
Portnoy may do alot more crazy fills and shit, but Rllo does Polyrhythms. Polyrhythms are the most innovativething in the music world since Odd Time Signatures. And nobody does them like Symphony X. Jason Rullo = Polyrhythm master. (But that's soon to change, as soon as my band starts getting recognized. LOL!!)

forgive me if this is ignorant..but can you give me an example of a polyrhythm? I am fascinated by innovating type music and techniques, so I'd like to hear exactly what thats all about. I have an idea, but maybe if you gave me a time mark of a song where we does that, that'd be great. :cool:

Listen to the majority of Communion and the Oracle, or the part in the Accolade after the church organ part in the middle. (But thats not a good example for the drum godliness.) If you listen closely, you'll hear taht all the instruments are playing different time signatures. Thats what a polyrhythm is. All the instruments are playing different time signatures. It mau sound like a wierd thing, but it actually is an amazing technique if it's done right.

The song Medusa's Eyes from TDWOT, it the first that comes to my mind which has some polyrhythmic drumming parts. For example in the beginning of the song... Try to notice ride rhythm, yo probably will see :)

RobbM said:
yeah, but it still pritty basic compaired to Virgil Donati's set, or Cacophony era Atma Anur, or even Terry Bozzio.

Terry Bozzio's kit is HUGE. i have never seen a bigger one. No kit is too big for people who can actually play.

I'd love to see Rullo get a bigger set, with more punch to the bass drum. (kinda like portnoys on his awake album)