Rason Rullo Drum Setup

Not meaning to brag or anything, because I am nowhere near amazing at drums, but I can do that single-pedal stuff that McBrain does pretty easily. I only had a single pedal for the first 4 years of drumming, so I'd developed this really good technique that lets you play two hits really quickly, and under whichever tempo I choose. Playing a song like Dream of Mirrors is really easy for me with the single pedal. I also had to learn this bass pedal technique because I was in a punk band, which requires some decently fast single pedal work.

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ said:
Not meaning to brag or anything, because I am nowhere near amazing at drums, but I can do that single-pedal stuff that McBrain does pretty easily. I only had a single pedal for the first 4 years of drumming, so I'd developed this really good technique that lets you play two hits really quickly, and under whichever tempo I choose. Playing a song like Dream of Mirrors is really easy for me with the single pedal. I also had to learn this bass pedal technique because I was in a punk band, which requires some decently fast single pedal work.

Then :worship: to you :p

However common Punk drumming is easier and not jyst the same with the rhythm in Dream of Mirrors. In Punk, you kick single, and then double. But on this "doule-double". Anyway, if you got the talent and practised enough, you may be able to do of course :)

Time-Machinist said:
Then :worship: to you :p

However common Punk drumming is easier and not jyst the same with the rhythm in Dream of Mirrors. In Punk, you kick single, and then double. But on this "doule-double". Anyway, if you got the talent and practised enough, you may be able to do of course :)

Haha, you are correct! I'm glad that you understood the punk beat I was talking about. I used to work on a "double-double" punk beat as well, and after a short while, my leg would start to feel like it's burning. I can last a lot longer now :)

I wish there was something that I could send you... some way for me to record and show you guys. It's my only true skill that I'm proud of, hehe.

Oh, I've also incorporated it into the Mike Portnoy signature fills, lol, so I do not have to use the double pedal for them. It leaves things open for high-hatting.

Eternal Dragon said:
Does anyone know a good song that has fast paradiddles with feet and complex polyrhythms with hands?? I would imaging that would be the hardest thing to do.

Super Speed Polyrhythms? Hmm...... *goes to discuss with his bassist*

I don't think that would work... you'd still have to wait for the pedal to return from hitting the skin, you would not be able to use the high-hat, and you'd be sitting quite awkwardly, lol.

Of course but I think you can get a bit faster, since you would defeat the inertance. :D

I use a giant step pedal for that. Actaully I use two giant steps for both bass drums. But I also started the way you did, and I can kinda relate.

Montu Sekhmet said:
I use a giant step pedal for that. Actaully I use two giant steps for both bass drums. But I also started the way you did, and I can kinda relate.

Bein' a punk drummer started me off with the attitude of "double pedals are for cheaters!" Hehe... can't believe I thought that, since all it does is open up options :) No negatives, really.

Terry Bozios kit makes me angry. How do u have all those god damn cymbals and not ONE ordinary Crash Cymbal. Damn it.

MetalMan57 said:
Terry Bozios kit makes me angry. How do u have all those god damn cymbals and not ONE ordinary Crash Cymbal. Damn it.

well he does play with orchestra's and thinga like movie soundtracks. But I've seen some videos of him, and he does use all of his stuff.

*on a side note, he would of paid about 40,000 bucks if DW had'nt given it too him for free.