Rate this mix!

Manfred [NL]

New Metal Member
Jun 5, 2007
Hi there :headbang:

I'am currently mixing a new song, i think it came out very well.
Guitars are powerball and POD xt, drum is DFH with sneap kick and Vinnie paul snare.

please let me know what you think of it! :worship:

The lake 320kb mp3

Thanx!

All the riffing was done by jeroen (catastrophy) he is tight as hell haha (not in the gay way of speaking haha)
But what do you think of the overall mix?
:kickass:

Everything sounds super-muffled. You said it's a 320kbps mp3 file, but it sounds like a 64kbps file. No top end at all.

I really like the music. Some parts of it give me this old Anthrax feel and I like the "chorus" a lot. The mix however needs a LOT of improvement:

1) toms are super loud and boomy
2) kick is almost non existant, you can hear it, but it has no impact
3) the snare needs more stick attack
4) the hats sound cheap, as if you used old/broken hats and not DFHS
5) guitar playing is good, but the guitars also sound like there is a blanket in there.
6) the bass is okay, it's hard to hear it on these small speakers (Logitech)though

I'll go out on a limb here and say that you can half-salvage this mix just by mixing by numbers. I'll give you some pointers what I would do from the top of my head (I am not sitting at a console here).

a) Toms: cut 400hz with very wide Q (should cut a "valley" up to 1,5k) by 8db or more, boost around 6-10k
b) raise kick in volume, take out a bit of the top end
c) try more attack on the snare between 3k or 5k and also boost 125hz-250hz, while cutting 500hz
d) hipass the hats up to 1k so you dont have anything around 400-600hz
e) try boosting guitars slightly at 400hz, 1,5k, 4k and/or 8k
f) cut the main frequency of the kick on the bass track with a narrow Q by 3-4db, then add a 5-6db boost at 1k

This approach will probably not give you the mix you want, but it will clear your mix up a bit. Right now it really sounds less defined than if I just put all faders up on the console with no EQ.

Maybe try my suggestions and then go from there and change stuff so that it fits better.

Hope this was of some help.