Rather small room, system with sub or without?

AboutBlank

Nov 27, 2009
Berlin, Germany
Hey guys,
I'm very interested in your thoughts in my case:

So, I'm saving money for monitors atm, I own a pair of VXT 6 and I will upgrade as soon as possible. So, you all now, it's better to buy high quality stuff then upgrade every now and then and improve just a little.

I'm pretty focussed on the Event Opals.

Now I'm a little unshure what the best thing is in my case, to buy a system without sub(Opals) or to buy smaller monitors with a sub.

My room is threated but kinda small, I will definately throw some more cash in room threatment but the main question is:
Small room->sub
or
Small room->Opals(or similar)

Personally I would prefer the Opal way cause it seems easier for me, kinda like set and forget, the sub would make the whole thing not easier.
But if it would make sense(dialing the bass better in for my room or smthg) I would go this route...

What are your thoughts?

No matter what bass is an issue in a small room. I say this all the time when it comes up but IMO subs are a nightmare to balance in a room without creating far more issues (buildup, phase shift, localization) than a pair of speakers with similar extension. Bottom line, I would get the Opals w/o hesitation over a similarly priced 2.1 system.

Yes.
I should have typed: "No matter what monitoring system you choose, bass will be an issue in a small room."

A subwoofer creates a third sound source which is almost most always coupled directly to the floor and often placed close enough to a wall (or corner). This creates resonances and1/2, 1/4 or 1/8th space build ups which you not only need to account for on their own but also how they relate to and interact with your main pair and crossover point.
Some folks seem to have good luck with subs, but I have never heard a system which sounded balanced and natural that incorporated them. YMMV, but I'd still go with the Opals over a 2.1 system.

Yes.
I should have typed: "No matter what monitoring system you choose, bass will be an issue in a small room."

A subwoofer creates a third sound source which is almost most always coupled directly to the floor and often placed close enough to a wall (or corner). This creates resonances and1/2, 1/4 or 1/8th space build ups which you not only need to account for on their own but also how they relate to and interact with your main pair and crossover point.
Some folks seem to have good luck with subs, but I have never heard a system which sounded balanced and natural that incorporated them. YMMV, but I'd still go with the Opals over a 2.1 system.

Thanks a bunch for clarifying!

I know that my room is not the best, but I have do deal with that issue cause thats how it is, atm...

The only thing that I can change is the room threatment, and I will gladly work on that point.

But the speaker decision is for a long time, maybe lifetime, and imo are the Opals the right choice, for now and later.
Your points support that decision:Spin:

THX

Egan speaks words of truth. I've had to mix in a tiny little room with 1029's and a matching sub, and no matter where you place the monitors and the subs, it's a mess. Not a happy camper.

Out of curiosity, what made decide on the Opals instead of other monitors in the same price range, like Focal Twins and Genelec 8050's?

Yeah, of course, when I have the money savely in my pocket I'll do an intensive checkout with all those monitors in that pricerange.

But I kinda "know" that the Opals are probably the way to go for me.
Dunno, but mostly I know exactly what gear wanna buy even if I haven't tested it out(heavily), Gits, Amps, Cabs and Pres...
I wanna test things out in my own environment, haven't failed till now;), but in the the worst case i bring it back to the dealer.