*Raw files* In-your-face Brutal Death Metal ala Hate Eternal, Krisiun, Angel Corpse

Drive (sans amp) is always on bass. You are noticing it when the bass plays the bit on its own.
Needed to drive the mids to get the bass to cut and not blur the low mids on the whole mix.

I used different overdrives left and right (ts808 and MXR badass od) to pull the guitars wide and leave the centre open for kick, snare, bass and vocals.
The hardest thing with a fast heavy mix like this is to get clarity without sounding thin. Requires a lot of control of the low mids. My Focal Twin monitors are fantastic In the low mids.

I am not going to bounce again without the bass OD because it needs it. Without the drive, the bass was a low mid blur.

Any split processing on the bass? Or just one track thru Sansamp? Any bass cab ir used?

Damn, now I get it why all mixes here had some problems with clarity nd Mickrich couldn't get it working through tri-rec... damn low and dirty low signal. Since I put it as my challenge I have to use heavy pre-EQ before amp to get rid that monstrous noise that kills note clarity.

Damn, now I get it why all mixes here had some problems with clarity nd Mickrich couldn't get it working through tri-rec... damn low and dirty low signal. Since I put it as my challenge I have to use heavy pre-EQ before amp to get rid that monstrous noise that kills note clarity.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing some difficulties with the files. To tell you the truth, I really don't remember what type of guitar/pickups we used to track but we used a Roland Octa-capture interface to capture the DI's. I will take a note on future recordings for sure.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing some difficulties with the files. To tell you the truth, I really don't remember what type of guitar/pickups we used to track but we used a Roland Octa-capture interface to capture the DI's. I will take a note on future recordings for sure.

I run over time to time on that kinda DIs. It's hard to tell not knowing what's the problem (your probably is high noise floor), because on their own they are kinda OK, but when put through AMP you get mush of noise. I get lot clearer notes on my Schecter damien elite 7 with more than 3 month old strings (well I play it 2-3 time a week).

With that extreme pre-EQ I got something on Swedish Death buzsaw side drive :D through my Jetcity 100h. I'cant test mix on anything else than my ath-m50 headphones at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes very strange DIs. I had no problems with noise but all my favourite kemper profiles did not work. Even the tightest profiles sounded muddy, the brightest sounded still dark. I did found a usefull profile but only with lots and lots of tweaks what i usually dont do. :)
I think its many things..not only guitar, strings, pickups...im sure it also has to do with DI quality on instrument input and converters of the used interface.
back the time switching from my ux2 to a saffire pro the difference di quality was huge and the di quality of the kemper is even better than from my saffire...

yes very strange DIs. I had no problems with noise but all my favourite kemper profiles did not work. Even the tightest profiles sounded muddy, the brightest sounded still dark. I did found a usefull profile but only with lots and lots of tweaks what i usually dont do. :)
I think its many things..not only guitar, strings, pickups...im sure it also has to do with DI quality on instrument input and converters of the used interface.
back the time switching from my ux2 to a saffire pro the difference di quality was huge and the di quality of the kemper is even better than from my saffire...

Seems that tracking DIs noise gate was applied too, because at start on rhythm and end of second solo is MASSIVE noise. Distortion is bringing it up and mud over notes that are being played.

Wow
Everyone is moaning about the DI tracks.
Some DI tracks I get are horrendous.
These aren't really that bad.
Just EQ the DI feeding the amp and do a big narrow boost to find the mud and cut.
For these I cut the low mud and did a small wide boost centred on 3k and it worked out fine.

What pickup was used?
Sounds like an invader or something similar.
Also possible that the DI input impedance was too low causing low pass filtering.
Just checked spec of the octa capture and the jack input impedance is 17Kohm on line level.
There is no impedance given for the Hi-z input.
Are you sure you switched the input to Hi-z?
If not that is 100% the problem.

to Shaggysi0 full bass signal was sent to Zoom ms60b in sans amp sim mode into MXR M80 pre/di > Universal Audio LA-610

to NecroDM I use X50 for guide tracks but I always use real amps for tracking. I tend to move the mic to get the sound I want rather than apply lots of EQ.
I also use different overdrive boosts to get closer to what I'm after. I have TS808, MXR badass od and Wylde, Boss overdrive, Mooer Green Mile, Joyo Ultimate drive, Boss overdrive/distortion.
TS808 one side and MXR badass the other is working really well for me lately.

Wow
Everyone is moaning about the DI tracks.
Some DI tracks I get are horrendous.
These aren't really that bad.
Just EQ the DI feeding the amp and do a big narrow boost to find the mud and cut.
For these I cut the low mud and did a small wide boost centred on 3k and it worked out fine.

What pickup was used?
Sounds like an invader or something similar.
Also possible that the DI input impedance was too low causing low pass filtering.
Just checked spec of the octa capture and the jack input impedance is 17Kohm on line level.
There is no impedance given for the Hi-z input.
Are you sure you switched the input to Hi-z?
If not that is 100% the problem.

to Shaggysi0 full bass signal was sent to Zoom ms60b in sans amp sim mode into MXR M80 pre/di > Universal Audio LA-610

to NecroDM I use X50 for guide tracks but I always use real amps for tracking. I tend to move the mic to get the sound I want rather than apply lots of EQ.
I also use different overdrive boosts to get closer to what I'm after. I have TS808, MXR badass od and Wylde, Boss overdrive, Mooer Green Mile, Joyo Ultimate drive, Boss overdrive/distortion.
TS808 one side and MXR badass the other is working really well for me lately.

Thank you for your detailed explanation, Mick. Now that I remember, I think I used a guitar with a DiMarzio Evo. I am also pretty sure that I switched to Hi-z before recording as I always do. It just seems that the guitar/pickup/string combo doesn't work that good after all and I learned my lesson :) The good think is that people like you exist to correct trainwrecks like this. I will be more careful in the future for sure.