Rays/Sox Phils/Dodgers

It's a toss up, as far as I'm concerned.

Phillies-

The case for: They have a very powerful and potent offense. They're the kind of team that can sit back and wait for the three run homer, but they can also play "small ball". They're got a lot of weapons and cans score in a lot of ways, and they can knock opposing starters out of games relatively early. They have a rock solid bullpen, with a stud closer at the end. A lot of people will tell you that the single most important ingredient when building a championship team is a stud closer, and the Phillies have that: Lidge has recorded a save in every single opportunity this year. They've also got players like Cole Hamels (who was on fucking fire in the NLCS), Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins. They won the first two rounds relatively easily. The week off can be good for the pitchers.

The case against: They will have had a week off when they play tomorrow night. That can be poison to a baseball team, especially the lineup- which, correct me if I'm wrong was rather cold in the NLCS (aside from Shane Victorino). They're facing a much stronger team than they did in the previous two rounds, and for the first time they will not have home field advantage. The fact that they play in Philadelphia doesn't bode well, either.

Rays-

The case for: Another high powered, high energy offense that can score in a number of ways. They're the fastest team in the majors and (I believe) they play the best defense in the league. They've got some very good top-three starters with Scott Kazmir, James Shields and Matt Garza; and they can use David Price in relief. They're a young, mostly "home grown" team that has lost together for a long time, and now that they're winning, their team chemistry is a significant factor. They've got Evan Longoria, Carl Crawford and B.J. Upton. They've got home field, they fought tooth and nail to get this far and they are playing a Philadelphia based team that hasn't played in a week.

The case against: Their biggest weakness will be their middle relief. If their starters fail to go deep into games, they will be in trouble. Cole Hamels and Brad Lidge are pretty fucking good.

Would have said either Rays/Sox in 5, but TB looked pretty weak in the ALCS.

Rays in 5 or 6. Hell, I don't care either way. The Dodgers faceplanted, that's all I wanted to see.

I think it will be a close series but the Rays will win. They are a very balanced team that can do everything. They beat a Red Sox team that was nearly as good as last year and survived a little adversity along the way to do it. I've been rooting for this team all year save for when they played the Red Sox, and I'll be rooting for them again now.

I said the Sox / Rays winner takes it all so...Rays in-5! Continue the World Series AL dominance.
Philly is a very good team with a core that has been together and building for this oppurtunity, while the Rays are the hot new sexy team.
I think during the year the NL teams / pitchers do not see enough tough lineups and depth with 1-9 grinding out every at bat...they will see this with the Rays or would have with the Sox. Though, Phillys top-2 starters may be good enough to dominate any line-up in baseball...who the hell knows?

This will be tough for me to watch, with my beloved Sox just missing getting in and I really would have liked thier chances against Philly.
I'll tune in around the 8th inning, hope for some close-dramatic finishes. I want the Sox to be the last and next (AL representative) WS champ...so I hope Philly takes it.

Rays in seven. Homefield advantage is going to be huge for them. There's no turf in the NL, so the Phillies won't be used to playing on it. Besides Hamels, their starting pitching is a little lacking.

The sports guys are all saying that this will be the worst World Series as far as TV ratings go. I don't know about that. I think the Rays are like a novelty. People want to see them win.

It really doesn't affect the true fans.

However the NHL, NFL and NBA care and are happy because IMO, some will, but many MLB fans outside of Tampa and Philly won't watch this series to the fullest and will now be tuning in to the NHL, NFL, NBA.
MLB obviously knows how to market and offset this situation and in the end Rays v Phils may be highly rated and I hope it is, cause thats good for everybody.

Its all a cycle that chain-affects all fans, owners, leagues, marketing, ratings, tix sales, advertising, jobs etc.
I agree on the surface, who really gives a shit about ratings?
Underneath it all many do care...say Tampa who's future looks bright. They would prefer a great series and higher ratings...have more Rays fans in the seats next year (wich they should) and for years to come, watching more baseball-less NASCAR?:err:
They'll be buying up Rays merchandise, concessions, being a good fan, doing thier small part to build up the franchise. Instead of having Sox or Yanks fans filling up half the Trop every time thier team visits, like they do now and of course not purchasing Rays t-shirts, souvenires, etc. Although we know many Sox and Yanks fans will be buying up plenty of beer:kickass:...so that helps.:)