Re-amping?

Sure is. As long as you record a DI (as in completely clean and unprocessed) gtr signal you can put that back out through an amp at a later time. It's a great safety net if you're not quite able to get a killer sound on the tracking and are convinced you could better it with an amp that's NOT currently at your disposal at a later date. I've actually never been in that position (fortunately) but I have tried the process and it works flawlessly. I would definitely use this process if I was stuck on the road with no choice of good amps to record with and knew I could get a better sound from one I have at home (I have a killer Dual Rec that usually wins in the studio hands down). Hopefully I'll never have to actually do that, but it's nice to know this would work in a pinch.

Neil K.

I've done this a few times, and have found it SOOOO helpful to getting great tones. I had some killer amps at the studio, but the guitarist didn't have much time to come into the studio before he left for a month, so I needed to get good performances without spending much time on getting decent tones. As a result, I got the best tones I'd recorded so far in those sessions.

I'd recommend the Radial JD7. It's got so many possibilites, and it sounds GREAT. The DI signal is crystal clear, and the reamping and splitting features sound like you're plugging live into an amp. When I have the chance, I love to use it to split the signal to a bunch of different amps as well as to the preamp, and mic up the amps. If I don't like any one or all of the amp tones, I can reamp single ones, or multiple ones. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear in the studio.

I just use a bog standard DI - that will give you a completely clean and uncoloured DI signal (exactly what came out of the guitar). I'm not sure a clean tone from a POD or some such would do the same thing as there would be all sorts of possible treatment going on. Worth trying out though I suppose..

As far as separate DI boxes are concerned, I recently got to play around with a Little Labs IBP box. It's almost magic. It acts as a very clean direct box, but can also reamp, and is also in my opinion the best phase alignment piece of hardware or software out today. Not only can it work wonders on aligning direct and amp signals, but it is PERFECT for multiple mics on amps, drums, guitars, or anything else that has phase issues. I used it for a session last week on a kick with 2 mics on it, and I was literally able to use the phase knob on it to dial in how much low end I wanted.

What do you mean "bog standard DI"? I looked around a bit but couldn't find what you're talking about....I found the Radial JD7 but I'm looking for something a lot less expensive if possible...

What I plan on doing next time is running my guitar directly into the digi 001 then having that signal sent out to the POD and then back into the 001. That way I could hear a decent distorted signal while playing yet still have the direct sound recorded on a separate track. I haven't tried it yet but I'm concerned that there might be a latency issue there.

Sorry..

Where I'm from "bog standard" means normal, run of the mill etc.

Having owned a 001 for years I'd definitely be concerned about latency too. Good spotting.

Neil K.

NK said:
Sorry..

Where I'm from "bog standard" means normal, run of the mill etc.

Having owned a 001 for years I'd definitely be concerned about latency too. Good spotting.

Neil K.

LOL I didn't think I had heard of "Bog Musical Equipment." Where are you possibly from that could raise you with such pathetic metaphors? j/k :D

By the way I just fiddled with this whole reamp thing for the first time right now with the 001 AND: (1) there was about a 1/2 second latency issue, (2) the direct signal from the guitar was much weaker when getting played back out of the 001. Duh. But it's cool to find out for yourself, know what I mean? So I suppose next time I'll have to use a DI.

PS Go Heels

Genius Gone Insane said:
Tight, three posts in a row...I've got a Boss Noise Suppressor at the studio with 2 outs--will that get two decent guitar signals?

i have the same pedal. it splits the signal but it sounds like crap. i think its an impedance issue. you need to look into one of these...http://www.littlelabs.com/pcp.html or something similar. its really not worth doing unless its done right.

Genius Gone Insane said:
Tight, three posts in a row...I've got a Boss Noise Suppressor at the studio with 2 outs--will that get two decent guitar signals?

I used the NS-2 until I got my BSS AR-133 DI box which apparently is a decent box used by a lot of studios.

NK said:
...I have a killer Dual Rec that usually wins in the studio hands down...

Hey Neil, what type of Dual Rec do you have? Is it s a 2 channel/3 channel, older model (early 90's), Tremoverb, etc? I've tried countless Rec's, and the only one I've hung onto this whole time was my '94 Dual Recto ("Blackface") that sounds great too.

It's actually a newer 3 channel Dual Rec, but for some reason it sounds killer. I also just got a really nice Triaxis/2-90 rig (a setup I've lusted after for years) that I'll be throwing into the mix as well.

Neil K.