re recording vocals tomorrow. good techniques?

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
so im finally re recording vocals for my bands up and coming EP, and i posted this thread for people to post what they think are the better techniques for recording vocal tracks, i.e, having the mic on a stand with a pop filter, vocalist using handheld mic, etc.

keep in mind, im using an unidentifiable Shure mic. looks like the beta57, but there is no model name labeled on the mic. it runs into an m audio fast track interface (i know im working with some crappy equipment) but id like to get the best sound i can get with what ive got. id like to get as close to that oceano/whitechapel sound preferably.

heres a previously recorded version of one of the song that will be redone
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/defiance.mp3

is it this or this ?

because there is about 1khz difference in frequency response. another thing to add is that the shure pg series dynamic mics are a bit noisy.

if it is an sm57, i would recommend getting the tab funkenwerk mod... this will make your 57 sound a lot like the sm7 (which sounds great on heavy vocals).

the sm7b has a 50hz-20khz response whereas the beta57a has a 50hz-16khz response.

it's not really a huge difference but there is a reason that heavy rock vocals gravitate towards the sm7b.

in terms of vocals in the recording process... ?

try and prioritize the vocalist's delivery. because (imo) the delivery is about 90% more important than the intonation. and because you are using a dynamic mic, try to get the vocalist to stay put. you can fix a lot of dispairities with "plosives" and whatnot but changing amplitude differences from the LSD (lead singer's disorder) head wobble is a pita.

tell the vocalist to "act" like he/she is spitting water into the center of the mic screen with every syllable. (works for me).

I wrap the mic up in some tissue and tape so that you can't hear any handling noise. Oceano's new stuff was with a sm7b in a live room, but a lot of that sound comes from that fucking gorilla of a vocalist haha just go line by line and get fucking angry

i wish i could answer that, but i have no clue since i didnt acquire the mic in new condition. it looks like the pg57, but it doesnt say so anywhere on the mic, all it has is the shure logo above the switch.

i built a little contraption the other day that resembles one of those little portable "vocal booths" out of a small laundry basket with a really thick blanket lining the inside with the mic inside of it. even if it is ghetto as hell, itll be one of the techniques i work with tomorrow.

also, its not even in a treated room, just a closet in my bedroom, so im aware of that being a factor for lesser sound quality as well.

i wish i could answer that, but i have no clue since i didnt acquire the mic in new condition. it looks like the pg57, but it doesnt say so anywhere on the mic, all it has is the shure logo above the switch.

i built a little contraption the other day that resembles one of those little portable "vocal booths" out of a small laundry basket with a really thick blanket lining the inside with the mic inside of it. even if it is ghetto as hell, itll be one of the techniques i work with tomorrow.

also, its not even in a treated room, just a closet in my bedroom, so im aware of that being a factor for lesser sound quality as well.

only the pg series mics have a switch... the sm series do not. so it's probably the pg57. these mics are pretty awful but if you can make it work, more power to you!

i don't see the benefit of recording vocals in a closet... but if it works for you and you think it sounds good... :)

sometimes you can achieve an excellent vocal recording by just diffusing the room a bit... ie. ceiling/walls/traps.

for about $100/200 you can get a pretty good sounding vocal room.

the 835 will favor both 58 and pg57 because it has a higher frequency response.

you should bundle all three and record with all of them an see what one is better.

scratch the 58, the guy who owns it is outta town and i couldnt get it before noon. so looks like im comparing the pg and 835. will update tomorrow after the session. tomorrow will be loads of trial/error. but thats the fun part!

Tim,
I've never seen that mod before. Have you tried/compared it yourself?

i own 4 tab modded 57... and two granelli+tab modded 57.

i have found that the use of the mics become a little different.

for instance:

i still use ordinary sm57 mics on drums/guitars etc... but i have found the modded 57 to be useful for other things like vocals.

the granelli+tab mod sounds great on snare and toms.

like i said before... if you have a spare 57... give it a shot. it sounds great and tab funkenwerk knows what they are doing.

You should really try to get ahold of a compressor even for "ghetto tracking" vocals.

Personally I think that's a really bad idea. Someone who's green to recording is likely to set the compressor wrong and be stuck with the result. Plus the fact that a cheap compressor (assuming the budget is tight) is unlikely to add anything good to the recorded sound anyway.

bump for updated mix

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/landofthefreeandhomeoftheslaves.mp3

i know i came back a little late. but i noticed the e835 was better then the pg57, and it wouldnt fit on the mic stand, because my lazy broke ass cant afford another mic clip. so we ended up going with the handheld technique and the above mix is the result.

if anybody can point out any tips for eq, comp, etc, go right ahead :)

You should really try to get ahold of a compressor even for "ghetto tracking" vocals.

What's the advantage of tracking vocals through a comp instead of compressing them while mixing?

I mean when ghetto tracking, in a professional studio with great outboard gear I could understand it...

What's the advantage of tracking vocals through a comp instead of compressing them while mixing?

I mean when ghetto tracking, in a professional studio with great outboard gear I could understand it...

If you comp on the way in, you can't un-comp.

If you track raw, then comp.....you can always go back and un-do FX.

If you have experience and know what you're doing, I imagine comp'ing on the way in could yield good results as long as its not overdoing it.