Read anything good lately?

Goreripper

Metal as fuck
Aug 24, 2001
Blue Mountains, Australia
myspace.com
I thought I'd start a thread about books. What have you read lately that's floated your boat? I have just finished Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion, about why humanity should toss religion in the basket of the ancient past and stop pussyfooting around with political correctness with regards to accepting people's religious beliefs. I was already ann atheist before I read this, which is just as well because if I wasn't I would have just about died with apostacic apoplexy.

I also read In the Devil's Snare about the Salem Witch Trials, which is another kick in the balls for religion.

Now, what have you read lately?

The Great War - A book about WW1, just started, quite an interesting read
Get in the Van - The book by Rollins about touring with Black Flag, brilliant read
It doesn't End There - The new book by some journo and John Laws, a good read about quircky Australian stories, those are the ones currently doing the rounds

Last thing I read was Ian Botham's autobiography, which I'd had for a decade without reading properly. Quite a good read.

I've got about four books that I've been lugging around with me, but in the last few weeks I've spent too much time in the evening drinking to really think about picking up a book. I started to rectify that last night.....

Sounds like you folks have read some good'uns.

Forgot some others over the last three months.

Lovelock's "Revenge of Gaia" was a goodun. "Burn" (forget who wrote that) was OK, but a bit over the top, and had a few factual errors. Flannery's "weather makers" has been a good read also. Not quite finished reading it, but he's got his ducks in a row (was proud of his speech on Oz Day).

That'd be cool. Does said gang member embellish too much, or do you think what he says is factual?

I read a book of short stories by Bukowski a few years ago. The man was pretty feral!

At the moment, Collapse by Jared Diamond. All about past and present societies, like Norse Greenland, Mayans, Anasazi; how and why they failed and the problems we face now, what we can learn etc.

Also, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre was my summer holiday reading.

Vernon God Little is great!

I tried reading In Cold Blood a few years ago but couldn't get through it, wasn't that keen on Capote's writing style. The movie is great, though, and I watched "Capote" on Tuesday (w/ Phillip Seymour Hoffman) which is excellent, well worth seeing.

I'm currently in the middle of some god-awful book I bought at Heathrow before my flight back to Brisbane. Panic by Jeff Abbott, I think. I'm not in a hurry to get back to it.

Vernon God Little is great!

I tried reading In Cold Blood a few years ago but couldn't get through it, wasn't that keen on Capote's writing style. The movie is great, though, and I watched "Capote" on Tuesday (w/ Phillip Seymour Hoffman) which is excellent, well worth seeing.

It was pretty good. I read Catcher in the Rye for the first time maybe a week before Vernon God Little, and I couldn't put it down, read it in one night. So that sort of ruined VGL a bit, as it reminded me too much of Catcher.

Capote was good too :) In Cold Blood was a pretty solid read. It could have easily become boring, but it didn't seem to.