Read anything good lately?

That'd be cool. Does said gang member embellish too much, or do you think what he says is factual?

I read a book of short stories by Bukowski a few years ago. The man was pretty feral!

Pretty factual, it was written in 1993 when he was back in prison again, but by that time (even before he went back in jail) he had pretty much completely reformed and got out of the gang scene and had become more of a muslim black power preacher kinda dude, got a job & raising a family. So the book is written at a time when he had become pretty level headed... (He got back in jail for assaulting a crack dealer he had been trying to get away from his neighbourhood)

Before that though, the book starts in the '70s when he joins the South Central gang the Crips, did his first murder at 11 years old and committed TONS more... in and out of prison (mainly in prison) for his whole life. Took his loyalty to his street gang way too seriously!

Heard the new silverchair song today, it's shit IMO, hope the album is better....

And that gagng book sounds like the first one or 2 chopper books, only real...

Nearly finished Dawkin's 'The God Delusion'. He hasn't been as persuasive as he normally is (intentionally I think). A good read, gives you plenty to think about.

Jared Diamond's 'Collapse' is interesting too, but like all his books I find him tedious after a while - his style isn't exactly as succinct as it could be.

Nearly finished Dawkin's 'The God Delusion'. He hasn't been as persuasive as he normally is (intentionally I think). A good read, gives you plenty to think about.

I think much of it comes from it being preaching to the converted, or to the thinking of converting, so he doesn't need to be as persuasive as usual, because the people he knows will actually read it are already half or completely the way there.

Jared Diamond's 'Collapse' is interesting too, but like all his books I find him tedious after a while - his style isn't exactly as succinct as it could be.

This is my next purchase.

I heard the Silverchair about 4 times on Friday... I thought it was ok.
Much more Diarama than Freakshow... but I liked Diarama alot.
I've heard a bit of their new album as they were writing it in the same studio that I was in for a while, and alot of it sounded pretty heavy

I started reading "The French Revolution" by Christopher Hibbert last night. Finally finished the prologue this afternoon, so hopefully it starts to pick up.

I think much of it comes from it being preaching to the converted, or to the thinking of converting, so he doesn't need to be as persuasive as usual, because the people he knows will actually read it are already half or completely the way there.

Yeah, you are right with that.. Also I think if he was as forceful as he usually is it would turn off anyone who was only potentially half-way there or less... I think he tried as hard as he could to let people make up their own mind.

I read The Great Gatsby recently. Good book. It's one I've known of for a long time, but I don't know why. Was there a film made of it or something?

Movie was written by one Francis Ford Coppola, the same year (1974) he made The Godfather Part II and The Conversation. Pretty good year for him.

Personally I thought the novel was just OK (haven't seen the film), but I read it back in year 12 so maybe I'll like it more now.

Way, way too late, but better late than never.

Hehe I thought The Great Gatsby must be a classic. Do either of you remember what discussion centred on when you did it at school?

The Phantom rules, my favourite superhero. Or I guess just hero, because he really has no super-powers, except for ass-whooping.

I have been reading a hell of a lot these days as part of my arts degree and general reading. These are the books I am currently involved with:

Vellum - Hal Duncan
Goshawk Squadron - Derek Robinson
Peter Goldsworthy - The List of All Answers
Faust - Christopher Marlowe
The French Revolution 1789-1799 - Peter McPhee
In Search of Sustainability - Goldie et al

These are the ones I am about to commence:

Why Warriors Lay Down and Die - Richard Trudgen
Collapse - Jared Diamond
The Tempest - Shakespeare
The Dogs of War - Frederick Forsyth

Hmm, why is my brain exploding?