Read MORE in 2007! Now Reading...

A few things I'm working through, slow going due to hardest set of classes yet:

Jack Kerouac - On The Road
Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, '72 - Hunter S. Thompson
doing a lot of reading from "The 366 Best Colleges"
Also I sometimes open up a collection of Poe's poems that I have and read one at random
same goes for an Allen Ginsberg collection
Steal This Book - Abie Hoffman

Things to start:
Clockwork Orange
Walden and Civil Disobedience
How do Talk Dirty and Influence People

the mouse that roared

a look at the end of innocence and the stranglehold that Disney has on the US and children

What a cool thread!

Here's what I'm reading...

A Fine and Private Place, by Peter S. Beagle. It's a beautiful story about ghosts in a New York cemetery befriended by an old man who's alive but who lives in the cemetery.

The Chocolate Cake Sutra: Ingredients For a Sweet Life, by Geri Larkin. A great Zen Buddhist writer. She's a wonderful writer and a great person.

A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship, by Congressman Ron Paul. If only this man could be elected President.

Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting, by Syd Field. A great resource for all of us budding screenwriters.

Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen And The Way of Being Time, by Dainin Katagari. Zen is so cool.

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and other stories, by Susanna Clarke. She's the author of the incomparable book Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Plus a bunch of magazines I read monthly.

Next to music, reading is my biggest passion.

Bill

How anyone can read more than one book at a time is beyond me.

NR: Book Of The New Sun - Citadel Of The Autarch by Gene Wolf
Almost done with it and can't say I'm that impressed.

Helter Skelter by Vincent bugliosi

1.gif

GreatPint.jpg

This is the sequel to the one I posted above - one of the most hilariously awesome and darkly absurd things I've ever read; especially recommended for those who are into the Irish comic fiction of Roddy Doyle, Flann O'Brien, Jonathan Swift, Samuel Beckett, etc.

I am currently reading "Cell" by Stephen King.

Post your thoughts on the ending.

NR: "Candles Burning" by Tabitha King and Michael McDowell

While reading this I came to the conclusion that I dislike most books that are written from the POV of little children, under the age of 10.

'The Mascot' by Mark Kurzem. A true story of a small jewish boy who was 'adopted' by an SS extermination squad! Pretty far out!!!

I´ve read maybe a book a week since I went down here, there´s not much else to do....

Post your thoughts on the ending.

Ok I know it took me a while, but I am a pretty slow reader, but I just finished reading "Cell" a few days ago.

I thought the ending was really good. I got a little scared near the end when Clay was talking about how what they were going through would make for a good comic book. For a minute I thought it was going to end where everything had just been a story he was pitching to become his next comic.
I am REALLY happy it didn't end that way, I sometimes like it when authors use the "choose your own ending" ending and in this case it was very well done. I haven't decided what I think happened after though.

Can't say I was thrilled about it. Sometimes those kind of endings fit, but in this case I didn't feel like that at all. Quite dissapointed.

Now I'm reading Tales Of The Otori 4 - The Harsh Cry Of The Heron.

Not bad series about feudal Japan with some fantasy thrown in there. A nice fun read.

NR: A collection of Robert E. Howards Conan stories. Love them so far and highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys epic fantasy.

On a side note, they are a lot more... well there was a bit more to them then I thought there would be. Here are to quotes that I found to be particularly bad ass:

Queen of the Black Cost: (Robert E. Howard)

"In this world men struggle and suffer vainly, finding pleasure only in the bright madness of battle... Let me live deep while I live, let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is an illusion, then I am no less of an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with Life, I love, I slay, I am content."

The Tower of the Elephant: (Robert E Howard)

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Soon to read:

A collection of short stories by Etgar Keret, I don't remember the book's title.

The Devil in the White City, don't remember who it's by, it's about the 1890 World's Fair in Chicago and also a serial killer