Real Drum editing

lepersmeesa

Badman rudeboy
Apr 10, 2005
London
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a good guide to editing live drums. I have never done it before and will soon be doing some.

The kind of question I have are relating to quantizing and moving snare and kick drum hits more then anything else and how much it will show up when hearing them in relation to the overheads. Also the same question goes for when you add triggered sounds into the equation. How much manipulation of where the actual hit is in relation to the overheads.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Oh and merry xmas to all! :saint:

can you link up to those vids i cant find :erk:

I read a little about beat detective in sos magazine and i have not had to do any drum editing yet but i know i will on upcoming recording. Probably mostly kick drum in running parts!

Id like to see more about this plug though..............

Id like to see more about this plug though..............

A window pops up and you use it pretty much in the same way that you would use a plug-in that prints directly to track, but it actually isn't a plug-in. It's also ridiculously time-consuming and almost worthless if you have to do it it one track at a time (Pro Tools LE), so it's really only worth anything if you have Pro Tools HD, or that LE expansion thing, which gives you multi-track Beat Detective capability. When you can do all the drum tracks at once (the snare track for example, plus the OH and all the other mics it bled into), THEN it's awesome...otherwise, it's tedious and easier to just edit a bad hit by hand and use your ears to get it in time.

its only the detecting and conforming part that isnt multi track.

so alls you do is make an edit group from you drums

Highlight the whole song,

click,
EDIT - Seperate region - SEPERATE AT transients put pre seperate as 10 ms
Then , go through the song and make sure it hasnt seperated in any silly places .

Alteritavely With the drum edit group on just tap to tranient (tab) and Seperate at the transient (b) (pain in the arse)

Highlight a large section starting on and ending on a first beat of a bar, and not on any tempo changes (this will fuck it)

choose the grid value for the quantize
CTRL/COMMAND+0 to quantize

repeat for whole song.

listen through to make sure the quantizing is correct
Bring up beat detective

CTRL/COMMAND 8
click on EDIT SMOOTHING

CAPTURE SELECTION
FILL AND CROSS FADE
FADE LENGTH 10 MS.

SMOOTH

Then listen through again to check for any glitchy edits and fades
Fix them.

Copy the edited faded drums to a new playlist for backup
Consilidate the drums (ALT SHIFT 3)

VOILA.
To make sure your computer runs more efficiently, save the song as a new version , i.e ' SONG BD ' then clear the unused regions from the region list ( a lot of fades)

additionally to keep session size down, you can do a save session copy as in a nother area and use that as it will have none of the unnecessary audio files in it.

That took a while but i hope its handy
MERYY CHRISTMASSSSSSSS!!
LOVE Greyskull
xxx

I don't have drum rehab but i use protools and i started by separating all the regions with 10ms thing and got that perfect.

Now i have a lot of hits that are out of whack and before and after were they should be. Is there a easier way than going through and moving each hit by hand to were it should go or is that just life??

Grey skull I got confused on that after beginning so sorry if this is a dumb question!

I just spent like 4 hours and I'm only half way through a snare track and i got kick drum tracks to edit on that song and 4 more songs so I'm in need of some more editing help!!!:erk: :erk:

Also is just cutting like 600hz on down on overheads gonna be enough to kill snare and kick cause like i said i got some out of whack hits not bad but enough to notice when played along with overheads!! Any other tips on this would be cool too or is cutting 600 on down enough once everything else is added in like bass and guitars!!

its only the detecting and conforming part that isnt multi track.

so alls you do is make an edit group from you drums

Highlight the whole song,

click,
EDIT - Seperate region - SEPERATE AT transients put pre seperate as 10 ms
Then , go through the song and make sure it hasnt seperated in any silly places .

Alteritavely With the drum edit group on just tap to tranient (tab) and Seperate at the transient (b) (pain in the arse)

Highlight a large section starting on and ending on a first beat of a bar, and not on any tempo changes (this will fuck it)

choose the grid value for the quantize
CTRL/COMMAND+0 to quantize

repeat for whole song.

listen through to make sure the quantizing is correct
Bring up beat detective

CTRL/COMMAND 8
click on EDIT SMOOTHING

CAPTURE SELECTION
FILL AND CROSS FADE
FADE LENGTH 10 MS.

SMOOTH

Then listen through again to check for any glitchy edits and fades
Fix them.

Copy the edited faded drums to a new playlist for backup
Consilidate the drums (ALT SHIFT 3)

VOILA.
To make sure your computer runs more efficiently, save the song as a new version , i.e ' SONG BD ' then clear the unused regions from the region list ( a lot of fades)

additionally to keep session size down, you can do a save session copy as in a nother area and use that as it will have none of the unnecessary audio files in it.

That took a while but i hope its handy
MERYY CHRISTMASSSSSSSS!!
LOVE Greyskull
xxx

I had a few questions about this....

When you separate at transient, it separates at a different spot for all the tracks (for instance on snare it separates at snare transients, for kick only on kick ones) whereas if you tab to transient and seperate manually, it does a uniform saperation on all tracks. Which way is preferable here?

Do you do uniform separation on all drum tracks, then when quantizing move all of them, or only for instance the kick and the OHs, or the snare and the OHs?

Just trying to find the cleanest way to do this so I can clean up both kick and snare without unnecessary edits everywhere.