Real drums and sampling Thread

jdolese1226

Jun 12, 2013
Louisiana
Sup guys, I wanted to make this thread specifically for the people that are actually recording drums. Show everyone (good or bad) we can help each other on this one, I'll post a snare sample of my soon! (Tama brass snare) post your own samples and cymbals, shells, everything guys! Let's get everyone at least trying to do live drums

I'm gonna record my first (metal, at least) drumkit soon. In the meantime, this is a mix I did recently with real drums.

Kick is prolly 60%-ish sample, snare tracks sounded really good on their own, so prolly just 30-40% there. I got pretty happy with the mix!

Glad to see others on this forum are interested in Live drums as well :) I've been practicing mic placement a lot lately. I mic'd my drummer's kit up about a month ago. The end result wasnt what I had hoped. My room is simply too small for drums and the Kick wasnt tuned nearly low enough. For our EP we will be using real drums so we plan to either set up at a local church, or rent out a venue for a day or two. Hopefully I can convince the drummer to invest in all new heads.

Here is the results from our first attempt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fpiq0syz6euqyv/Drums(almost done).mp3
As you can tell, there is a lot that needs to be improved.

Also I made some samples of the kit if anyone wants them :https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56167527/Dark Side Kit.zip

The low tom is definitely usable. Idk about the rest of it :lol: I'll leave that for you to decide

I think it sounds pretty usable, the cymbals sounds quite nice even though they are way too loud in the mix. I actually think the kick sounds better than the snare, the snare is a bit too low tuned for my taste. Did u use real room sounds or did u use reverb? Cuz i think it sounds good. I agree that it will probably sound bigger and better in a larger room.

Yeah I was actually pretty pleased with the cymbals! It's amazing what a $60 pair of overheads can do :p But that kick only sounds like that after more EQing than I ever hope to do again.

The room's were impulses from the samplicity bricasti pack. I believe snare plate A was one.

I'm looking into getting two Shure SM81s for overheads, I've heard a lot of good things about those. I'm also looking at the Focusrite ISA828 for a preamp for it all. My partner has a D112 for kicks, then I'll probably get a shure sm57 for the snare, it's always a good sound. I love the sound of the Sennheiser MD421 on toms, so those are for sure an option.

Was thinking about the d112 but I want an audix d6 or a shure 91a, I don't know what would serve me best. For kick, but I really like the WIM toms, and they def don't sound like md421's.

I sampled some cymbals yesterday with my girlfriend and this is what we got!!

They are un-processed, strictly EQ is all that was done! Tell me what you guys think?

Edit: http://konkretestudios.bigcartel.com

Cymbal Specs:
Alpha Paiste 20in Ride
Meinl Soundcaster Fusion 16in Crash
Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
Paiste 8in Splash
Zildjian 16in Oriental China

Mic Specs:
2 Sennheiser E614 Overheads
2 Sennheiser MK4 Rooms

Hehe didn' try to be douchy, just realistic ;) Im sure it will be usefull for some people, i've never been sampling drums myself so i should probably not be complaining ^^

We finally got to track drums for my band's EP a few days ago. This time I had all of the tools I needed, as well as an awesome sounding room!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56167527/Drum Preview.mp3
It's just a rough mix, but what do you guys think? The only real problem i've noticed so far is that I had the snare mic in a bad position, so it has a LOT of hi-hat bleed. I think I can work around that though.

Not bad but the hi hat sounds a bit weird, doesn't sound panned either but thats easily fixed. I also think the drum playing is pretty sloppy, but thats probably because i've been so used to machine gun sounding programmed drums lol ^^