Real drums, fast double kick, how do?!?

Here's what you do in this situation; it's not ideal and drummers get all butt hurt. But 90% of metal drummers are punching WAY ABOVE THEIR WEIGHT anyway.

Get them to play hands only and program the kick.
Stuff happens much faster!

One thing I haven't seen suggested is looping (pasting) the bars he plays well over the bars he plays poorly. It's a reasonable compromise between having his feel and suffering from his deficiencies.

if you carnt afford a replacement software paste the sample to the transient

boxsounds replacer is free. pc vst only tho.

replacer_fullsize.jpg

http://www.boxsounds.com/replacer_info.html

http://www.boxsounds.com/files/replacer.zip

Ankle weights

This

Although I would suggest that if you're trying to retain SOME type of organic feel that you also just track a couple measures at a time and then comp everything together after

My old drummer used to do is daily warmup before we would ever start actual practice ... it would consist of strapping on a couple of 3lb ankle weights and then setting up his little metronome with the blinking red light directly in front of him and then doing solid double bass patterns for 5 minutes .. 4 different patterns - total 20 minute warmup. He would kick up the tempo 1 click each week until he finally maxed out. I forget what tempo he maxed out on but he was fucking FAST and by the time he got to that level of speed his execution of double bass was fucking monstrous and more importantly .. dead on accurate

Well, dude got so mad at himself last night.....

Basically, the workflow went like this:

-Track entire song like 4 or 5 times.

-Go back through and find any flubs and see if we can replace them with a good chunk off another take

-Re-track any little flubs

and now we're left with only a few small/short parts, but most are fast double kick work

Last night he got so angry at himself and we ended up not finishing drums (we're limited to like maybe 6-8 hours a week of recording), and started scratch guitars.

This is taking forever but I feel it's worth it for all of us to be put through it. If I had my way tracking guitars, I'd do it chunk-by-chunk and really make sure I'm happy with the results instead of having to play the entire song through and getting tired in the end.

no reason to be impatient ... take the extra time to do it right at the beginning. Make use of the tools available to you since his technique is not gonna improve over night ...

in the more intense sections just do things a couple measures at a time ... even if you just hit the record button and let him fly on for a while, wait until you hear at least 2 measures of something relatively good. Make note of it, grab that section later and cut-n-paste. If any of those parts are going into a section that changes tempo make sure he punches in separately right before the change and plays any kind of fill leading in to the tempo of the next section. It'll sound more natural

Don't waste time on guitars until you have you drums done dude ... get them done, edit the shit out of them, THEN start with your guitars, scratch or not. If you're just worrying about a guide guitar you're still gonna want to do it to a proper drum performance, especially for any sections that lock in with the double bass otherwise you'll be tracking real guitars to a fucked up guide track ... how could that be good? ;)