Real drums for you to play with

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
I know most people don't get a chance to play with real drums, so here's a quick segment I recorded the other day, which I think came out really nicely. Messed with the OHs and got a nice wide sound but too much hihats/rides and not enough crashes in them. Snare sounds surprisingly good, especially for a rocky tone; all the mics were kinda just thrown up, and I got lucky. All hits are rimshots (hitting on the side of the drum gives that wicked out-of-tune tone that you don't get from hitting in the middle).

Its really short and there are artifacts from my dodgy drum editing which I did by hand (see other thread here), apologies for that. It'd be longer if I could figure out how to edit properly.

Anyways, here's my mix (100% real) and the 4 raw files (kick, snare, oh). Tempo is 120bpm if you want to add anything. I was drumming to Tik Tok by Ke$ha (fuck ya), if you want to match it, thats the first chorus onwards.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/DrumFilesMix.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/DrumFiles.zip
[still uploading]

PS: Is it just me or is there distortion on the OHs on the snare hits? Although with the dodgy editing its hard to hear.

Also, if anyone experienced with real drums wants to give comments on the raw files, that'd be awesome.

What kind of snare did you use ? The RS sounds not very good to my hear, but I play a high end sonor artist cast bronze 14x6.

Thx for posting! I cant wait to get home and give this a listen. I'm tring to get awa from using samples all the time so I really appreciate raw drum tracks.

What kind of snare did you use ? The RS sounds not very good to my hear, but I play a high end sonor artist cast bronze 14x6.

Snare is really nice, a brass freefloater. I purposefully went for that out-of-tune rimshot as I said in the OP. If i'd hit in the middle of the drum I would have got a regular rimshot with little tone but I think this sounds better for the style.

I'll listen to these a bit later, but much appreciated for putting these up, cheers.